Hobbyguy

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, is it possible to put a larger dish on a oyster 2 , I have a 85cm at the moment.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I doubt it as the 85cm will have a specific focal point for the position of the LNB.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning,

In theory it would be possible to put a larger dish on the Oyster system however I'm afraid that we do not offer one. The 85cm Oyster is the biggest we do and that's currently not about to change.
Main reason is wind to be honest. The bigger the dish the more force that will be sustained in high wind and we've found that, even on a 1 metre dish, the head of the Oyster system struggles to cope with the extra weight and pressure in sustained wind risking the possibility of damage to not only the system but possible the vehicle roof should the worst happen and the head of the system or the dish arm give way.

Ninjabob is also correct in relation to the feedarm. With a bigger dish you will change the focal point position so you would need a longer LNB arm and it would then need to be adjusted to the correct height for optimum signal.

Bottom line is that it can be done if you know what you're doing and want to stretch the signal capability of the system further however you would need to be careful and be very mindful of the wind every time you put it up.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
H

Hobbyguy

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks , I'm in southern Spain and sometimes the picture is lost so I was thinking of boosting it somehow.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
You could try a high gain LNB. That will help in the fringe areas of reception however I can't guarantee it'll make a difference. Down the east coast of Spain they generally tend to get decent results though.

Try looking for an Inverto Black Ultra.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks son! Now go wash your hands for lunch! :LOL:

OP
OP
H

Hobbyguy

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for all your help, I'll upgrade the LNB.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back