how to fasten a scooter onto a rack (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
so, my motorhome has been fitted with a rear scooter rack, and it's ready to collect tomorrow, I was shown some of the parts, one being described as a seat clamp, which the guy said goes across the seat and fastens down, he then said for me to secure the wheels and work out the best fixings depending on the bike, well...
The bike is a Suzuki Address 110, so a pretty lightweight scooter and popular for this purpose, how do people who have similar make sure they're safely fastened on ?
I'm guessing that you put straps through the wheels and strap it down to the base of the rack, but what type of straps would be used for this ? and do you use just one strap per wheel passed though between the spokes ?
Please let me know of any alternative or extra fixings that I could consider, I'll be able to post photo's of the rack probably from tomorrow evening.

any help, most appreciated

Paul

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Paul,
I have a Suzuki Address 125 so very similar.
The handlebar strap works brilliantly as shown by mfw,the only thing is be careful not to overtighten and you will be fine.
The Suzuki doesn’t offer many options at the front so this is the best solution.
If your front wheel goes into a hoop at the end of the rack, when you load I like to put a short ratchet strap through the front forks or around the wheel and round the hoop it just stops the bike moving backward.
Buy decent ratchet straps,the Chinese shop ones are flimsy and don’t last long.
The seat clamp may not be the right shape to go over the seat as all bike seats vary enormously,it’s common practice to put some round foam over the metal to avoid damage before you push it down and tighten and a towel or piece of cloth on the seat prevents marking.
On the rack there should be loops front and rear for the end of the straps to connect with.If you have a rear rack behind the seat of the Suzuki as I do,use these as it’s the straightest pull down and the rack is sturdy.
Again don’t overtighten just watch the suspension go down a little and you will be fine.
First time out check the tightness of the straps after a very few miles as they settle and can need a couple of clicks more.
Do this regularly when you stop and all should be fine,coffee or fuel stop I always just check around.
There was a story years ago of a Motorhomer who left north of UK and just put the seat clamp over the bike.
Got of the ferry and of course it was not there,found by police in a ditch by the motorway in the UK,if you need any more info feel free to PM me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a 125cc Honda of a similar weight and the seat clamp will not hold it solid on the ramp but will hopefully reduce it moving side to side as you brake etc.

We use a strap on each wheel to tie it to the wheel ramp. This prevents to moving forwards and backwards and stops the bike bouncing out of the ramp groove.

I also put a strap onto the handle bars and compress the forks a bit to restrain it.

Throw a cover on it and a Trailer board+number plate and rear warning sign. If it rains you will be glad you put a cover over it.

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-rear-warning-sign.html
https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/trailer-board-4ft-with-lights.html

and you will be good for most of Europe. Use a Ali rear warning sign and you should be good for all of Europe.

Our bike ramp has a upright bar to prevent the bike hitting the vehicle and to reduce side to side movement but I still have to move the scooter side mirror to prevent it hitting the van.

4x one inch ratchet straps (One is the item in post 2) but I have never lost one yet.

Give it a good rock to see if it can move and does not hit the van and don't forget to padlock the bike to the ramp.

Its easy to pinch. (y)

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
as ever, thank you so much for your replies, will look forward to getting the van back and bike which will be delivered in a next few days, I'll let you know how I get on. Looking forward to having this extra bit of convenient transport, I reckon it'll add a new dimension to my holidays :)

Paul

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Can't help you with the rack because we keep ours in the MoHo garage. But I can confirm that it will transform your travels. This is our first time out carrying our little Suzie Address and it has totally transformed things for us. Find a good spot, then explore on the bike. Park it more or less anywhere, one helmet under the seat and one in the back box and jackets can fold up in there as well. You then walk about unhindered. On the way back call in to a supermarket and pick one of the small wheelie baskets not a trolley and everything you buy will fit in your storage. Brilliant. It has not stopped us walking for pleasure just avoids the trudge through towns with two rucksacks full on your back. Enjoy your Suzie, I am sure you will. The bikers on here all said it was underpowered but for us 40 to 50 kph is literally all we want to do, but I did get it up to 75 on a dual carriageway the other day. The worst thing was that we had to fill up with petrol for the first time. From red mark to full cost me €3.47 good for another 150km
Steve

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Manage to get everything sorted today, I'd bought some handlebar straps, but in the end just looped each of my ratchet straps around the handlebar grips, two more straps at the back under the luggage carrier, the seat clamp has just a heavy 'rock-strap' and I ended up with a strong elastic strap from the front wheel, holding the bike to the front chock, it then turned out that it was even more solid if I put elastic bands around the brake levers (I know that some Suzuki Address scooters came with a rear brake 'lock' they must have stopped fitting is since this one has none, shame, that was going to be my make-shift handbrake). Anyway, the cover fits fine, then 'just' manages to pull down in the centre so the seat clamp can go on. The suspension is compressed a little, and you can 'ping' the straps, so they're reasonably tight, if you get hold of the bike and pull it firmly, it will move around side to side, but seemingly, and as viewed by the rear camera, nothing moved while I did a test drive, and all straps remained tight. Doesn't seem to affect the van at all, and I even found that I can fit both bike jackets under the seats, and both crash helmets in the back box. Overall a great result... hopefully it's still there when we get to Scotland ! :)

IMG_8443.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Two straps at the front to pull it into the front wheel holder and two at the back to hold the rear down. 15,000 + miles and it’s never moved.

F5085A67-0EE2-4168-82CF-497954427FCA.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi Badknee, I think my setup is much the same although your front wheel chock is much better than mine, mine is a 45 degree angle and offers no side support, I'm also using cam lock buckle straps rather than ratchets, they're meant for motocross bikes so should be intended for the job, I notice you have ratchets. I also think that the angle of my front straps is more vertical than yours, so I guess I don't have as much steadying force to stop the bike going forward and backward. The bike didn't move on the test drive, and when moved by hand, some of the flexing was actually the rack. I'll probably get the opinion of another motorhomer when I see someone carrying a bike. I think it would have a hell of a job to come off to be honest

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
If anyone needs a good contact for a scooter rack and is in the Lancashire area, Mick Parkinson did mine, 07887 997653, I think his prices are somewhere £600-£800 ish depending

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
This was it, all but the final rear right strap

9245163E-94CB-4F43-8F9B-0B3A728284C7.jpg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I like the ratchet straps so I can tell how much pressure I’m putting on. The rack is a s/hand Armatage rack £350.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back