First motorhome recommendations please (1 Viewer)

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Hi

We are looking to buy our first motorhome and would love some recommendations as there are so many available. Our budget is £30-£35k and have decided on a fixed bed (not drop down or climb up) would prefer a shower that is not over the top of a toilet or sink. We will also need a wind out canopy and bike rack but could add these if budget allows.

It is just the two of us as the kids are now older and no grandchildren yet so 2 travelling seats are fine which helps as needs to be under 3500kg

Top of our list currently is the Bailey approach 740 (2012/13)

Any help or advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I have added Burstner to our list of possibles if I can find the right one, also considering a slightly older A Class but not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are if we do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Get in it, pretend to do everything ( they won't like you using the toilet for real ). Make sure the bed is big enough. And most important, it's snowing outside, it will be tomorrow and not looking good the day after -- will you survive ? Take your time.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi and Welcome. If looking to purchase your first Motorhome with only two on board don’t overlook a panel van conversion by some of the big names if your places of interest are normally found by traveling down small country roads because most Motorhomes are fitted with wide sticking out wing mirrors to allow for the overhang of the body behind the cab and it can be hard work at times trying not to clip mirrors with vans and other traffic coming in the opposite direction. If your budget allows select the size of your chosen van and hire one for a few days before purchase. Wishing you lots of good times in the future.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes actually sit on the toilet and see if the door can still be shut. Things like this will give you a better insight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Get in it, pretend to do everything ( they won't like you using the toilet for real ). Make sure the bed is big enough. And most important, it's snowing outside, it will be tomorrow and not looking good the day after -- will you survive ? Take your time.

Did this to decide on layout, must have spent 40 minutes in one MH acting out various scenarios!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you’ve never had a Motorhome and not sure what layout suits have you thought about hiring first.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Answer to your question is

Research, research, research.

No use asking on here - they all think their own is the best.

I did research, and after 10 years, of the first secondhand MH I reckon it is still right.

Trying but so many conflicting reviews, don’t buy English followed by my Bailey or our Elddis is amazing!

Then there’s the all English leak and get damp, only buy German even if it’s older the build quality will be better.

Lost!

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Did this to decide on layout, must have spent 40 minutes in one MH acting out various scenarios!

Nice one.

Where did the frying pan fit ? It's a home, and a compact home at that so the small things really do matter. However, you will never get perfection so do have to learn to live with the limitations and even make some modifications. We changed ours last year, job one was rip out microwave and turn it into a cupboard.

Probably the biggest limitations that will hit you are water, gas and electricity. All are in very limited supply and you need to learn to live with the limitations.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Top of our list currently is the Bailey approach 740 (2012/13)

Bailey could be suitable if you prefer to use UK campsites. My impression is that they are quite "caravanny" especially their older 2012/13 Approach models. You do get plenty of space inside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Bailey could be suitable if you prefer to use UK campsites. My impression is that they are quite "caravanny" especially their older 2012/13 Approach models. You do get plenty of space inside.

As well as lots of uk weekends we plan to go to France and possibly Spain over the next two years.

Currently making enquiries about a 2016 Elddis Majestic 155, very similar in layout to the Bailey

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I don’t know your plans but that van has a big over hang and if you’re thinking of hanging a scooter or anything on the back be aware of overloading the rear axle.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back