reg no across roof (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Got on van roof earlier today someone has put reg no from drivers to passenger side probably 2m wide and 1/2 metre deep cant see it unless you are above.

Cant rob any banks old bill can spot me from the air.

If it gets pinched they will have to garage it so probably nice cheap security feature

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I had Post Code on roof of my caravan about 20 years ago , they still didn't find it , and it was cris registered and etched , even the tail lights :(

Police air support not what it used to be
Some of their figures are interesting/depressing. In the year to date(Report dated 28th November. Not sure if the year is from January or April)as a percentage of total calls, they had an attendance rate of 27.4% (38% 2014/15), a decline rate of 17.4% (11.6% 2014/15) and a cancellation rate of 44.8% (40.8% 2014/15). The cancellation rate represents where they have requested NPAS but subsequently cancelled them, often due to the incident being resolved or a change in circumstances.

Only 27 out of 100 times did an aircraft turn up.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Only noticed it as i got a lot higher up this time it certainly makes it stand out from above

all bungalows around me so shouldn't get the mick taken

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's a great idea but ......

What would you do if you had a personal plate though?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Since 2017
I had Post Code on roof of my caravan about 20 years ago ,

An ex-policeman told me never to do that ..... he'd once nicked a gang who sat on a bridge over the M5, noted any postcodes on caravan roofs, and in the knowledge that the house was probably empty for a few days, the little bar-stewards went thieving. :swear2:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
An ex-policeman told me never to do that ..... he'd once nicked a gang who sat on a bridge over the M5, noted any postcodes on caravan roofs, and in the knowledge that the house was probably empty for a few days, the little bar-stewards went thieving. :swear2:
An interesting notion but I don't think they'd see many postcodes. How would they be sure the van wasn't on the way home if they did spot one? If going away from that location, how would they know which house to enter?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Irrelevant these days: there aren't enough Policemen to look down from motorway bridges and ANPR cameras will pick up your registration plates anyway. Although there aren't enough Policemen to look at ANPR reports either.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Since 2017
How would they be sure the van wasn't on the way home if they did spot one? If going away from that location, how would they know which house to enter?

I never really gave it that much thought :) I suppose a van heading into Devon/Cornwall with a Sheffield postcode might well be going on holiday?

As for which house to enter, there are only six houses sharing my postcode - if you were watching a property I reckon it would be quite easy to work out which one was vacant.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Irrelevant these days: there aren't enough Policemen to look down from motorway bridges and ANPR cameras will pick up your registration plates anyway. Although there aren't enough Policemen to look at ANPR reports either.

I had two occasions to phone the police; one a break-in at my house whilst I was away. I called 101 (it wasn't an emergency) and they gave me a crime number and a copper called next day to take a statement. The other time a crowd of youths with cans of beer kicking my wing mirror to smithereens at 1 a.m. I called 999. The police operator said they had no one to come out. Gave me a crime number. At 2.30 a.m they came back the other way and started on the other mirror and door. I called 999 again and the operator went through same script but asked me if I went out and confronted them. I ask you! I'm 70 yrs old and would have to get dressed and face a boozy mob. In any case if I'd collared one of them I'd be in Court for assault (or in A&E for 5 hours with a broken nose). A policeman called two days later to take a statement. Never heard another thing. You have to laugh at such nonsense.
Floors still wet.png

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Ive just bought a number plate sticker for motorhome roof but OH refuses to stick it on and told me to find a ladder and do it myself. It’s a personal plate so doesn’t show the area. Now I just need to get a ladder from somewhere. Seemed a good idea when I presssed buy now on eBay with a glass of wine in my hand ! Are there any members in Kent with a ladder ??? lol

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As an ex policeman myself, I think that might just be an urban myth. How are they going to know which house the caravan came from ( many houses use the same postcode) and it must have taken a long time before a local caravan came past!

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Easier to nick some plates for a similar model from a garage forecourt 1 night then go and nick someones van gives a few hours to get away with it number plate recognition wont work then either

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As an ex policeman myself, I think that might just be an urban myth. How are they going to know which house the caravan came from ( many houses use the same postcode) and it must have taken a long time before a local caravan came past!

Agreed. I too call BS. If the miscreant could work out where a numberplate came from, they could achieve the same with binoculars on normal plates. It'd be far more productive to just to cruise a target neighbourhood and watch for when the van goes missing.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The postcode on the roof idea works , not by location of vehicle , but by virtue that very few have a postcode on roof . Same with reg no on roof . Both need to be done in big letters . You could just as easily use a combination of Big colour symbols. Just dont stick them on your solar panels :)
ps I dont have it on my RV as it stands out enough anyway .

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Ive just bought a number plate sticker for motorhome roof but OH refuses to stick it on and told me to find a ladder and do it myself. It’s a personal plate so doesn’t show the area. Now I just need to get a ladder from somewhere. Seemed a good idea when I presssed buy now on eBay with a glass of wine in my hand ! Are there any members in Kent with a ladder ??? lol

No but if you come to Hull I'll lend you ours bought when we went looking for a table :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed. I too call BS. If the miscreant could work out where a numberplate came from, they could achieve the same with binoculars on normal plates. It'd be far more productive to just to cruise a target neighbourhood and watch for when the van goes missing.
It's easy to see where a vehicle number plate is from . Plenty of websites have the info.
Problem arises when, such as mine, the plate is registered in Cumbria.... I live in Scarborough.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's easy to see where a vehicle number plate is from . Plenty of websites have the info.
Problem arises when, such as mine, the plate is registered in Cumbria.... I live in Scarborough.
The first two letters only give a regional area. No use to anyone. You can pay a small fee to get someone's registered address... but I can't see crims using that in bulk.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Registrations don't inform re the owner's home area. If that were so, 95% of BMW owners would be living in Yorkshire, and a fair number of Audi/VW owners too. Large distribution centres such as Thorne supply dealers all over the country with pre-registered vehicles. Just notice how many BMW regs starte with Y!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The first two letters only give a regional area. No use to anyone. You can pay a small fee to get someone's registered address... but I can't see crims using that in bulk.
Which is what you said.
If the miscreant could work out where a numberplate came from,
It obviously doesn't give the current keepers area, only the registering dealer area.
As for paying DVLA, there is supposed to be reasonable cause to need the info... Private parking enforcement etc... But of course the gov saw a handy source of revenue in releasing it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As for paying DVLA, there is supposed to be reasonable cause to need the info... Private parking enforcement etc... But of course the gov saw a handy source of revenue in releasing it.

Yep. A mate's front garden wall was reversed into and took some damage. He caught it on CCTV. The police weren't interested. It cost him a few quid to get the registered address... He sent them a stroppy letter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yep. A mate's front garden wall was reversed into and took some damage. He caught it on CCTV. The police weren't interested. It cost him a few quid to get the registered address... He sent them a stroppy letter.
So much for data protection eh!
The database isn't in the public domain so surely must come under the data protection act.

@GJH

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Lean out through a roof vent.
Never thought of trying that we have a roof vent above our bed but I don’t think I will be able to open it enough to get to roof but worth a try - thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back