Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Minxy Girl

Cheers Mel, I appreciate the input.

The problem I've had with the AGM-thing is just the poor reputation as some people keep reiterating the high failure rate of that type of battery.

That said, and as per your notes above, it may be worth just going for a second AGM for the time being. I would not have to vent the batteries (a big positive) while having the availability of 133ah would be handy as long as I could maintain a suitable charging regime.

The CBE Reg is an incredibly versatile bit of kit and will fully support all 3 battery types; having the second 150W solar port is useful too.

I only have a 120W solar set-up and, although I've not fully tested it out so far, I'm getting the distinct impression with your scenario, plus a few other Globie owners, that 200+W of solar is the way to go for this type of vehicle equipped with our style of fridge.

Also, having a mobile solar which I can direct towards the angle of the sun is a fab idea so that's something I'll probably peruse too. I've done a wee bit of research and a portable suitcase-style 120W unit is circa 12.5kg.

The fridge insulation which I refer too only applies to the lower part of the fridge body whereby the outer and inner bodywork skins create several structural cavities. I'll not be insulating the whole fridge area as it's the only the lower body cavity that creats the main chill effect for the hab area; that and the doors too.

I pick up my new insulation stuff this afternoon which is a type of 3.7mm silver-thermal covering plus the 50mm-wide equivalent for pipes and small areas.

That'll keep me busy for a couple of hours.

All the best,

Andrew

......now go and get that windscreen filled :D

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
A lot of the AGM stories are from people who have fitted them on a charger that doesn't support AGM, which will shorten their life.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A lot of the AGM stories are from people who have fitted them on a charger that doesn't support AGM, which will shorten their life.

Have you got them yourself and what's your battery and solar configuration sir?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
We have now purchased and owned 3 brand new Globecars, all fitted with 2 AGM batteries and have found them all to be really good.

The first, a Globecar Familyscout L, purchased in October 2012, had one factory fitted Banner AGM and a second similar battery supplied and fitted by the dealer, so a matched pair.

In January 2015 we purchased our second Familyscout L with a similar Banner AGM set up.

In September 2017 we purchased our third Globecar, a Globestar 640 DK, supplied with 2 Varta AGM batteries.

Both the previous two Familyscout L's are now owned by Funsters and both are still running successfully on the original batteries.

I hasten to add that although our 640 DK has the option to select Gel or AGM on the Electroblock, the two Family L's only had the option of Wet Lead Acid or Gel on the Electroblock 99 and was set to Gel!

Our current 640 DK has the Mark 1 12v Thetford fridge. Because of this we decided to have 1 x 150 watt solar panel fitted. We went to the Lymington meet for 4 nights followed by the Malvern show for a further 4 nights. We also attended the Goth meet in October at Whitby last year. No problems experienced at all!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl

Cheers Mel, I appreciate the input.

The problem I've had with the AGM-thing is just the poor reputation as some people keep reiterating the high failure rate of that type of battery..
If our dealer hadn't cocked-up and put in 2 x lead acid batteries instead of AGM we would have stuck with AGM, but as we had the choice we went for gel. Previous MHs/campers came installed with either lead acid or AGM and didn't have any issues with them that I can recall. I'm sure you know how to look after your batteries and I suspect some (but obviously not all) of those that failed were down to being 'unloved' and not kept in good condition by their owners. You will always get some batteries that fail regardless as nothing ever has a perfect track record so as you have a new AGM I can't see the point in ditching it for the sake of it ... just get it a friend so it doesn't feel 'lonely'! :D

......now go and get that windscreen filled :D
Not at the mo, still acclimatising to the flaming cold weather ... gotta empty out the rest of the stuff from the camper and give it a good deep clean before I do any jobs on it and for that I'm gonna have to put on 2 layers of winter thermals ... ! :cold:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@ludo @jezport @Minxy Girl

Thanks guys (y)

I'm going to persue the AGM route after reading your tip-top advice.

I've been on to Alpha Batteries today but they don't supply an LA95, however they do say that they could provide a matched alternative. I think I have a few manufacturers to choose from including Exide and Platinum.

The LA95 seems expensive but then I read somewhere today that Varta have been pushing up their prices a bit recently.

Thanks for your help

Andree

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A change of plan guys.

After a fantatsic set of communications with Allan of A&N Caravans today I have decided to bin the AGM route and go for a 2 x Yuasa 100Ah L36-EFB combo.

For a whole host of reasons the Yuasa wins hands down and will be a much better option to help support a compressor fridge while off grid.

I'll get them ordered soon.

I wonder if anyone will want a nearly new Varta LA95.

Regards,

Andrew

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A change of plan guys.

After a fantatsic set of communications with Allan of A&N Caravans today I have decided to bin the AGM route and go for a 2 x Yuasa 100Ah L36-EFB combo.

For a whole host of reasons the Yuasa wins hands down and will be a much better option to help support a compressor fridge while off grid.

I'll get them ordered soon.

I wonder if anyone will want a nearly new Varta LA95.

Regards,

Andrew
I must be missing something obvious ... they info states 200 cycles which is low! The GF12065Y Sonnenschein Battery which I have does up to 450 cycles and your existing AGM up to 400 cycles:

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-yuasa-100ah-efb-leisure-battery-l36-efb/

High quality Yuasa 100AH EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery)

YBX Active Leisure and Marine EFB
  • EFB technology for greater endurance, higher cycles and faster charging
  • Optimised for repeated charging & discharging
  • Original equipment quality & specification
  • NCC Verified Class B Sealed maintenance free
  • Supplied charged & ready to fit
  • Enhanced safety features including integrated flame arrestor and carry handle
  • Up to 1200 watt hours
  • Up to 200 cycles
  • Increased dynamic charge current acceptance over standard wet-flooded batteries (+170%), due to improved design including special Carbon additives and high charge acceptance envelope type separators
  • Increased cyclic durability over standard wet-flooded batteries (+100%)
Caravans, motorhomes, boats and other modern leisure vehicles feature more technology and electrical appliances than ever before. YBX Active Leisure and Marine batteries are specially designed to provide dependable, stress-free power and long life.

EFB batteries are an enhanced version of standard wet-flooded technology. The primary benefits of EFB technology are improved charge acceptance and greater cyclic durability when operating in a reduced state of charge.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Nice one Andrew, Alan certainly knows his stuff about batteries.

Hi Paul,

In all honesty I have been looking at the issue of sustainable power in the wrong way so my big debate with Allan has been incredibly refreshing and informative.

My challenge is that I want to stay off grid for 'X-days' without the need for EHU but my main problem is having to deal with a Compressor fridge.

Some of my points for consideration:

1. Compressor fridge consumption per 24hrs: circa 48Ah.
2. 24" Avtex TV consumption: 3Ah.
3. Fiat Alternator output: 14.4v
4. AGM does not charge well at 14.4v
5. An L36-EFB charges at 1.7 times quicker @14.4v than an AGM LA95 does @ 14.7/8v
6. Yuasa has confirmed that the L36-EFB can be charged safely at the AGM charge rate of 14.7/8v so that will increase the charge speed to twice that of an LA95 rate.
7. The L36-EFB is perfectly matched to my vehicle alternator plus my CB charger and solar setup too.
8. A 14.4v alternator rate on an AGM will only ever see an 80% charge of the battery.
9. An AGM LA95 places twice as much load per Ah on my CBE charger as what an L36-EFB does.
10. If I were to use 2 x LA95 batteries then they would soon destroy my CBE 16Ah charger as that equates to a load of 380Ah (2 × 95Ah x 2).
11. 2 x LA95's equate to 133Ah @ 70%DOD.
12. 2 x L36-EFB's equate to 100Ah @ 50%DOD.
13. 1 x LA95 equates to 66.5Ah @ 70%DOD.
14. The L36-EFB has an advertised 200 cycles limit but in tests it has been confirmed that it's good for 450 cycles with a good maintenance regime.
15. Use of a wet acid, low load system, will prevent my CBE from suffering too much duress.

......so if I choose an L36-EFB battery setup that is perfect for my CBE equipment which then subsequently charges at twice the rate of an AGM equivalent configuration then it's a no brainer.

Also, I now intend to keep the LA95 AGM (66.5 usuable Amps) and I'll use it as a standalone battery to power the Avtex TV (3Ah) and a couple of LED lights which I will retrofit to the bedroom and dining area. I'll also add a 14.7/8v standalone charger so that I can charge the LA95 every 7-10 days via EHU.

This idea of utilising a standalone LA95 will allow me to use the L36-EFB bank to power the compressor fridge and the Truma so I no longer need to worry about having to replenish wasted Ah's from using the TV and small lights etc.

The 2 x L36-EFBs will go under the passenger seat and 1 x LA95 (vented) will be located in one of the many compartments near the TV. (The Globecar Summit 640 is a truly fabulous bit of kit for storage space:cool:).

I'll keep the 120W solar system for now as if I can charge my L36-EFBs in a rapid and very efficient manner @ the AGM rate of 14.7/8v, while off grid, then I shouldn't in theory have the need to add anymore solar - but I am prepared to add an extra 120W panel if required.

What a cunning plan I hear you say Paul :D

All the best mate,

Andrew

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
IMO the Sonnenschein Gel batteries work out cheaper in the long run. Fit and forget. They just go on and on and on. 10 or even 15 years.

When my 2 Banner hab batteries need replacing which is quite possibly in 2020 at 3 years old that's what I will buy instead.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
All this hassle because they fitted a compressor fridge.
I don’t have any hassle with my set up Jez, 2 batteries 200 watt of solar, CPAP machine with humidifier and compressor fridge I’ve managed 3 nights without hook up.
If we’re travelling to Benidorm no probs whatever.

John.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
With 200watts of solar and the Benidorm sun you are good to go.
But I dont think you would do so well if you wet to Wales in the winter with your heating on.
We only have 140w solar and can usually cope for over a week in the winter in the UK with heating on but use the fridge on gas. There are pros and cons for a compressor fridge, but for me it wouldnt work.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
All this hassle because they fitted a compressor fridge.

From my perspective (I'm just being honest):

If a young adventurous couple were to buy a Globecar from a main dealer, with the intention of living off grid, then they would be seriously disappointed with one AGM 95Ah battery; a compressor fridge, 1 x 6kg gas bottle and a 80W solar unit if they were lucky enough to buy the Freedom Pack.

The dealers haven't got a fecking clue about what they are selling which is a huge problem IMO as the vans in their raw state need a couple of significant mods before they can be used properly.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Andrew ... My head hurts after reading all that info above! :D

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The cab is now ready for the arrival of the new Yuasa L36-EFBs.

I'm used to fitting lightweight seats in my cars so I almost but my back out when I lifted this bl○○dy thing. :D

I also took a moment to calibrate the CBE control panel so that it displayed the actual voltage reading of the hab battery. It was 0.2v out so worth doing.

20190116_150426.jpg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Hi Paul,

In all honesty I have been looking at the issue of sustainable power in the wrong way so my big debate with Allan has been incredibly refreshing and informative.

My challenge is that I want to stay off grid for 'X-days' without the need for EHU but my main problem is having to deal with a Compressor fridge.

Some of my points for consideration:

1. Compressor fridge consumption per 24hrs: circa 48Ah.
2. 24" Avtex TV consumption: 3Ah.
3. Fiat Alternator output: 14.4v
4. AGM does not charge well at 14.4v
5. An L36-EFB charges at 1.7 times quicker @14.4v than an AGM LA95 does @ 14.7/8v
6. Yuasa has confirmed that the L36-EFB can be charged safely at the AGM charge rate of 14.7/8v so that will increase the charge speed to twice that of an LA95 rate.
7. The L36-EFB is perfectly matched to my vehicle alternator plus my CB charger and solar setup too.
8. A 14.4v alternator rate on an AGM will only ever see an 80% charge of the battery.
9. An AGM LA95 places twice as much load per Ah on my CBE charger as what an L36-EFB does.
10. If I were to use 2 x LA95 batteries then they would soon destroy my CBE 16Ah charger as that equates to a load of 380Ah (2 × 95Ah x 2).
11. 2 x LA95's equate to 133Ah @ 70%DOD.
12. 2 x L36-EFB's equate to 100Ah @ 50%DOD.
13. 1 x LA95 equates to 66.5Ah @ 70%DOD.
14. The L36-EFB has an advertised 200 cycles limit but in tests it has been confirmed that it's good for 450 cycles with a good maintenance regime.
15. Use of a wet acid, low load system, will prevent my CBE from suffering too much duress.

......so if I choose an L36-EFB battery setup that is perfect for my CBE equipment which then subsequently charges at twice the rate of an AGM equivalent configuration then it's a no brainer.

Also, I now intend to keep the LA95 AGM (66.5 usuable Amps) and I'll use it as a standalone battery to power the Avtex TV (3Ah) and a couple of LED lights which I will retrofit to the bedroom and dining area. I'll also add a 14.7/8v standalone charger so that I can charge the LA95 every 7-10 days via EHU.

This idea of utilising a standalone LA95 will allow me to use the L36-EFB bank to power the compressor fridge and the Truma so I no longer need to worry about having to replenish wasted Ah's from using the TV and small lights etc.

The 2 x L36-EFBs will go under the passenger seat and 1 x LA95 (vented) will be located in one of the many compartments near the TV. (The Globecar Summit 640 is a truly fabulous bit of kit for storage space:cool:).

I'll keep the 120W solar system for now as if I can charge my L36-EFBs in a rapid and very efficient manner @ the AGM rate of 14.7/8v, while off grid, then I shouldn't in theory have the need to add anymore solar - but I am prepared to add an extra 120W panel if required.

What a cunning plan I hear you say Paul :D

All the best mate,

Andrew
Your compressor fridge won't use 48ah /24h
I on setting 7/7 (ie max), it runs 100% and would use say 48ah at most. On 6/7 the compressor runs on say 75 %. Of the time, Or 5/7 maybe 50%of the time. For us, 3/7 or 4/7 is plenty, so the Daily consumption of the fridge is about 12-14ah.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Your compressor fridge won't use 48ah /24h
I on setting 7/7 (ie max), it runs 100% and would use say 48ah at most. On 6/7 the compressor runs on say 75 %. Of the time, Or 5/7 maybe 50%of the time. For us, 3/7 or 4/7 is plenty, so the Daily consumption of the fridge is about 12-14ah.

Thanks Gerry, I read the 48Ah-thing on a different thread the other day but if the consumption is much better than quoted then even better for me.

This combo for us should work well.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I noticed your hab batteries are fitted on the opposite side of the van than mine. I have 2x95Ah varta AGM batteries under the driver seat with a Shauldt EBL 119 EBL

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I was expecting our van to come with an EBL119 but then I realised after it was ordered that it had a CBE CB516-3. The D-Line models get Schaudt elekroblocks while H-Lines models receive the CBE kit.

In principle they are both the same albeit my charge current is 16A while yours is 18A.

They both provide a 2A trickle charge to the starter battery so in principle there's only a cats whisker of a difference between the two specs.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
IMO the Sonnenschein Gel batteries work out cheaper in the long run. Fit and forget. They just go on and on and on. 10 or even 15 years.

When my 2 Banner hab batteries need replacing which is quite possibly in 2020 at 3 years old that's what I will buy instead.

Agree fully, this little Concorde has x2 140 Amp Exide gels, as far as I can tell they are the originals so 15 years old in a couple of months.

Reactions: f6c

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Ordered the L36-EFBs yesterday at 2pm and they arrived at 1215pm today - Alpha Batteries are a tip-top company to deal with. If you place 'FACEBOOK' in the voucher code box then you'll receive a 5% discount.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Mine are both level Andrew.

John.

Hi John (and Karen for info @Wombles):

The batteries under your Campscout drivers seat are level but under the Summit passenger seat (where my battery housing is located), the batteries are stepped.

They are designed to be like this but it's one more difference between the D and H-line models:

The stepped battery tray:
20190118_123303.jpg

2. The difference in height between the two batteries once housed:
20190118_124225.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew I put some external pipe insulation opened up and placed it over the bare battery terminals before I refitted my seat.

John.

Thanks John, I was hoping to add two more battery terminal covers but I couldn't find any today in our local Varta battery supplier. I've not put the seat back on yet as I still need to add the venting tubes - I'll do that tomorrow.

I'm pleased that I've done the battery upgrade as I found the rear battery supports were loose; the negative wire was trapped in the lower frame (and damaged) and the AGM LA95 had no venting tubes attached and both venting appertures were fully open inward to the cab.

Both batteries came matched at 12.55v so I'm really pleased with that - it's a good start.

.........and I didn't blow up anything either, :D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back