Do you use your Dometic oven? (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have an oven which we use. A double skillet that we use a lot and a Mr ds that we use sometimes. But we really prefer the barbie.

Running Wild

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 13, 2016
Wareham Dorset
Funster No
MH
Hymer DL678
Exp
Since 2013
We struggle to light the grill on our tec tower oven. Any ideas welcome 18 months old and prior to us owning the MH had probably never been used

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If it's the original Techtower you won't be able to split it. You'll need to replace the fridge as well.
We use ours all the time but its never going to be as good as your one at home.
If you recognise its limitations and understand it will take longer to cook and you have to use it flat out, you can get by.
Mine is a 2012 version and is in two bits but I have had to replace the worn out hinges this year. (dead easy)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We struggle to light the grill on our tec tower oven. Any ideas welcome 18 months old and prior to us owning the MH had probably never been used
It should still be under warranty if it is less than 2 years old. Take it back to the supplying dealer. Mind you don't expect much from the grill. Ok for browning Lasagne and the like but no good for toast, as you just end up with warm stale bread

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Funny to see this thread resurrected 3 years on. :D. I can confirm that we still haven't used the oven. The up side is its spotless :LOL:
Now when we're off grid I use one of these on the hob for toast. Its excellent.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are they useless or is it just me? Maybe I haven't given it much chance. I've tried to heat up a pie and it took forever and wasn't very hot. I've tried toast and it just dried out the bread. Its an oven on top of the fridge freezer. I think its all one unit. If it wasn't I would take it out and put a microwave in its place. Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with ours or are they all like that?
On our third van with a TecTower, all been pretty useless until on the current one we had the door higes replaced under warranty. The oven now works really well, grill is still naff. We certainly woun't want a microwave too much battery drain for us.

The oven is too high for me (5ft 4ins)
Ours is high, bottom of oven is level withthee bottom of my chin I'm 5' 10" the boss manages to cope with it when I've had too many beers and she is 4'10".:)

Interesting. We tried making toast and it came out awful - more like dried bread! Maybe were doing it wrong.
Grill is useless only use it for toasting cheese on top of dishes but only if we have enough time.

I can confirm that the ridiculous oven on the top was indeed a Smev unit rebadged
Not suprising Smev is a Dometic brand.
I think its all one unit. If it wasn't I would take it out and put a microwave in its place
If it is an 8000 series they can be split, 7000 as Alex says can't.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Funny to see this thread resurrected 3 years on. :D. I can confirm that we still haven't used the oven. The up side is its spotless :LOL:
Now when we're off grid I use one of these on the hob for toast. Its excellent.
No need to use anything that technical. Just heat up a dry non stick frying pan and put the bread on it and press down on it. After a few seconds turn over and do the same on the other side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
No need to use anything that technical. Just heat up a dry non stick frying pan and put the bread on it and press down on it. After a few seconds turn over and do the same on the other side.
Yes but the Kampa makes a great toasted sandwich. :)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Yes, we use our oven. We often go places with no hook-up, so no point having a microwave (not much spare room in a PVC either).

I sometimes forget the van oven is smaller than a standard one, though, e.g. a large pizza got burnt at the back where it was too close to the flame.

And the grilling area is probably half the size of a standard domestic cooker. Sometimes for toast I can't be bothered with the grill and just cook the bread in a dry frying pan on the hob instead (actually a non-stick paella pan).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back