Another loss to Motorhomers... (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Such a shame Old Mo, that's even more erosion of the places to park in a motorhome :(

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The bloody idiots have missed a trick there, have they not visited Calais?
They could have got £10 per night per unit.
I suspect the report was swayed by local campsite or hotel owners who tend to frequent local government. I expect a few NIMBYs were worried about their view too.
Of course, if an aire was set up, that wouldn't be an issue.

Their loss, as always.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I love this bit....
Concerns have been raised by residents and businesses over the parking of motor caravans at two locations within the district and the adverse impact they have on those communities.
I thought motorhomes improved the area...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is it "their loss" though? The report author obviously thinks not. See discussion of the same subject on Broken Link Removed.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sorry Graham.... didn`t see that one... :doh:

Reactions: GJH

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am quite possibly going to get some stick over this, but to be honest I dont blame them. Marine Parade is a nice area with views of the sea. If you lived there would you want a load of motorhomes parked outside your front door. I never considered it as an option for overnighting.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Your not a "Freeloading Tosspot"... then Dave... :wink::rofl::rofl:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Am quite possibly going to get some stick over this, but to be honest I dont blame them. Marine Parade is a nice area with views of the sea. If you lived there would you want a load of motorhomes parked outside your front door. I never considered it as an option for overnighting.

not from me.. I agree and have never used it..

when we traveled from Scotland I booked a site for the night.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Old-mo and many more motorhomers do for starters.

Never thought about over nighting there..

Sooner pay a few quid and get a good night`s kip in a peaceful campsite..

Must admit,,,, if I had bought a house years ago for the views, I may be a bit peeved it I lost them...

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Well I am actually, am parked on a aire in France right now, but not outside anyone front window.

Got to give it to the French.... they are more lenient and switched on for M.Homers...

Pity Britain couldn`t take a leaf out of their books..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having read the whole thing I have an answer..
Park up and put a massive tarpaulin tight over the van.
It states quite clearly that tents do not fall within the proposed banned catagory...

3. "Caravan" has the same meaning as in Section 29(1) of the Caravan Sites and Control
of Development Act 1960, namely "any structure designed or adapted for human
habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether being
towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer) and any motor vehicle so
designed or adapted, but does not include (a) any railway rolling stock which is for the
time on rails forming part of a railway system, or (b) a tent."

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I have stayed there but usually we arrive late and have gone very early. These days I tend to arrive late, get the ferry and stay on a aire in France - is easier and then you're already in France ready to go gently on in the morning.

Stayed on a little CL type site recently which was lovely.
Broken Link Removed
Near Hearn Bay so a little off the direct route to Dover but a lovely spot to arrive a day or so early and walk to beaches in that area.

((Although I would never condone such a thing, the fish and chips are lovely along the front in Hearn Bay :) ))

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
It takes us 5 or more hours to get down to Dover so we generally get an evening ferry to Dunkirk, eat on the boat and go straight on to the Port car park for the night. Up and away the next morning via the nearby Auchan to fill up (or half tank if we are going via Luxembourg). (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
We go to Dover quite often as we live near by, and have only ever seen a few vans parked there in the day. I wouldn't think many people would visit Dover just for the day unless they are going to the castle, and there is parking for medium sized motorhomes there!
However, the roads mentioned consist mainly of businesses, which are closed overnight, and if overnight parking is the main issue, how do they obstruct the view of the ferries, I mean sea, at night?
Sounds like another knee-jerk reaction, but there is hope in the Councils proposal sections 2 (iv) and 13, and I have the solution for them.
There is a large car park nearby at De Bradley Wharf that could be used for overnighting camper vans. Just charge £5 per night and provide a service point.
I have heard that the retail units are closing down soon, so the car park will be available all day.
Better still, use the aire at Canterbury for £3, which includes a free bus ride into Canterbury, a much nicer place than Dover and with some great restaurants.
Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There is a large car park nearby at De Bradley Wharf that could be used for overnighting camper vans. Just charge £5 per night and provide a service point.
Interesting, Allan.
I contacted De Bradlei to ask about parking for motorhomes at all three of their sites and they didn't even bother to reply.
Is the car park owned by Dover Council? If not it would need a caravan site licence to be used as a stopover.
I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about Canterbury :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont know about "a few vans", but if posts re, where to park in Dover on fun are anything to go by am amazed the whole place is not gridlocked with motorhomes :D

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Personally I'd sooner stay at Canterburys park n ride than park up in the street or the memorial or cross and stay in the aire at Calais.
Just saying it's not for me.

Cheers. Nige

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The only significant drawback I can see with Canterbury's park & ride is that the latest entry is 8.30pm. This might be a bit early for anyone travelling from the other side of London heading for an early morning ferry. If coming from the west or north west, you are going to hit the M25 before the rush hour(s) finishes.

Makes perfect sense from Canterbury's point of view - they didn't set up the park & ride for this purpose!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Makes perfect sense from Canterbury's point of view - they didn't set up the park & ride for this purpose!
yes they did

Motor Homes at New Dover Road Park & Ride
At New Dover Road we have a dedicated motor home area. There are 20 bays which are extra long, extra wide and have a large turning circle so you can access them easily.

Broken Link Removed
Link Removed

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
yes they did
No they didn't.

Canterbury set up their park & ride for people visiting Canterbury.

They didn't set it up for people looking for overnight parking before taking an early ferry from Dover - which is what this thread is about. That's why there is no benefit to Canterbury from allowing access after 8.30pm.

I'm not knocking the facility - I think Canterbury are to be commended for what they have done. (y) It's great if your intention is to visit Canterbury as part of your trip - even if it's only to arrive just in time to have a meal in the pub outside the gate.

But the only organisations with an interest in providing overnight parking for those heading for France are the Port of Dover & the ferry companies themselves. You might stretch it to include the city of Dover as an adjunct to the profitability of the former.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Canterbury may not have set up the P&R for people looking for overnight parking before taking an early ferry from Dover but they certainly set it up for people using the ferries (in both directions) at other times. When we were there in May there were a number of vans doing so, including one which arrived after 8:30pm so parked up just outside (to the side of the access road) until the barrier reopened in the morning. A number of vans left during the early hours as well - there is no restriction on exiting at any time.

The Dover Council report did acknowledge that "Dover is a port town offering a ferry service enabling easy access to the continent, not only for business but also for holiday makers and we need to be seen to encourage such traffic rather than hinder it." but identified no profitability in spending taxpayers' money to do so.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No they didn't.

I thought you meant it hadn't been set up as a motorhome aire..

you are correct, it wasn't set up to service Dover port, but I can't recall ever been asked what the purpose of my visit was when using an aire or indeed a camp site.. whether I park up and ride into town, or park up and leave the next morning for a ferry is completely academic..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Interesting, Allan.
I contacted De Bradlei to ask about parking for motorhomes at all three of their sites and they didn't even bother to reply.
Is the car park owned by Dover Council? If not it would need a caravan site licence to be used as a stopover.
I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about Canterbury :)
I think it is owned by Dover Council, it is certainly a Pay and Display. I am sure it would just be a paper exercise for the Council to give themselves a site licence. All they would need to provide is a service point, and if tiny, out of the way villages in France can provide a quality aire with smart service points, I am sure a major council can.
I noticed on many of the village aires in France they state they have been funded by the local council, district council, local businesses, local leisure and tourist agencies with the majority as a European Union grant.
Local and district councillors also have budgets that they can use for the benefit of the community.
Maybe even the Ferry companies or the Port itself would provide funds, after all, most of the camper vans are their customers.
Allan

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
you are correct, it wasn't set up to service Dover port, but I can't recall ever been asked what the purpose of my visit was when using an aire or indeed a camp site.. whether I park up and ride into town, or park up and leave the next morning for a ferry is completely academic..
It's not academic to the council though, when they are deciding whether to extend the latest entry time or not. They have to weigh up the disadvantages of allowing late entry - cost, security, disturbance to those already there - against any benefit to Canterbury.

The only group they would gain from are those arriving on a late ferry from France with the intention of visiting Canterbury on the following day. I imagine there may also be UK travellers who like to travel evening/night when the roads are quiet who would also arrive late to be ready for a full day in the city - especially as many of them would have had to negotiate the M25.

I frequently fall into that last category, whether travelling for work or pleasure. I'd love to be able to get into an approved facility between 10pm & 2am.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's not academic to the council though, when they are deciding whether to extend the latest entry time or not. They have to weigh up the disadvantages of allowing late entry - cost, security, disturbance to those already there - against any benefit to Canterbury.
I'm almost certain that the entry barrier opening times are tied to the times at which the P&R is staffed. Extending the times would mean more staff costs.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I too am happy to shell out a few quid the night before taking a ferry. Rows of Motorhomes on a seafront cannot help the outlook especially when waste is left behind from dumped tanks etc :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back