wild camping in layby (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
seperated laybys are a must. a lot safer. never parked an rv in one but i would,nt see a problem. however they aint the nicest places. the smell, .........

.... truckers are a funny bunch:winky:

can anyone explain why truck stop parks with facilities all stink of stale urine.. it's enough to make you throw up on a hot day :Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
can anyone explain why truck stop parks with facilities all stink of stale urine.. it's enough to make you throw up on a hot day :Angry:

might be something to do with the truckers p&ssing in a pot/bottle during the night and slinging it out the window later when they leave....:winky::Eeek:

saves walking to the 'facilities'.

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
the reason these places smell of stale pee is because some , not all, truckers simply cant be bothered to walk 100 yards to the toilet. which is a pet hate of mine.
however trucks dont have toilets onboard where as motorhomes/ caravans do and yet ive been on campsites and seen peolpe peeing in the bushes when there own caravan 5 foot away has a toilet and the toilet block is a short way away. :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
might be something to do with the truckers p&ssing in a pot/bottle during the night and slinging it out the window later when they leave....:winky::Eeek:

saves walking to the 'facilities'.

"truckers tizer" thats called.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thats why the grass in laybys is yellow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Never eat yellow snow:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

If you mean the lorry parking areas in the M.way services it's probably because the lorry parking areas are about a mile from the overpriced facilities which smell as bad as the lorry park. :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
because the lorry parking areas are about a mile from the overpriced facilities which smell as bad as the lorry park. :Doh:

there is only one reason .. lazy drivers.. peeing at a lay-by is understandable.. but in a lorry park ? .. it's nothing short of disgusting and it spreads disease .. please don't excuse it. :RollEyes:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Back on topic -

There's a big lay by just outside our village that they made when they straightened the road about 25 years ago. I often see lorries and motorhomes parked up there overnight. It's separated from the road by quite a wide area of grass.

Last night there was a Hymer there. I was a bit worried when they were still tucked up in bed with their curtains drawn at 11 am, but they'd gone when I went past again at about 2pm.

I've never heard of anyone parked there being moved on by the Police.

Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Wildcamp

hi can any one tell me of a good wildcamp near Stoke or the M6 as we are on our way up to oban from Exeter

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
hi can any one tell me of a good wildcamp near Stoke or the M6 as we are on our way up to oban from Exeter

not quite a good wildcamp but if you come off the m6 north of stoke at junction 16 and turn left on the a500 there are a few laybys on the left and right that are seperated from the main carriageway. there is a roundabout further along so can can turn around.
stopped here many times over the years in a truck with no problems but you have to get in early. say 16.00 at the latest.

if you carry on further up the a500 it turns into a dual carriage way and im not sure wether its the 2nd or 3 rd roundabout along but it has a right turn that does not go anywhere. its a dead end into a field
maybe they was expecting to put a new road in. i dont know but there is room to drive an artic in turn around and back up into the corner for a quiet nights kip.

look on multimap and zoom in on the road with an ariel view, you should see where i mean.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The situation on the continent is totally different, In Spain you will see many organized pull In's for heavy vehicles, sometimes as close together as every 10 miles or so.

They are usually based around a garage or a hostel or both, they often provide CCTV, park lighting for security and even for FREE WiFi connections and this is all fror free.

They even have them on the motorways (autovia's)

Its only in the UK were you see the red tape money grabbing practices coupled with a police force that seems to be a law onto itself.

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
This topic has been discussed on many forums with all sorts of opinions given, BUT has anybody actually been given a ticket or fine for overnighting in a layby or waste ground? For that matter how many people have had the police wake you up & ask to move immediately.
I think with a bit of commonsense & don't park where you are likely to cause problems & at the worst you might get asked to move on. This is no worse than happens in Spain where the police regulary move the motorhomes if they are staying too long.

We have stayed overnight in lay by's, would always look for one of the larger ones with a bit of a divider. Apart from the odd idot blowing their horn in the early hours of the morning we have never been disturbed.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

No, but if you're a member of the C.C, I happen to know a very quiet CL just off J19 M6.:ROFLMAO::thumb:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
The rules say 'Don't drive when you are tired."

They also say you mustn't obstruct the highway.

Take your pick.

Much of it seems to be down to what the local council want.

I haven't been moved on for years.
Incidentally, as I understand the rules, if you have a trailer with you, you have to leave it's lights on when it's on the road overnight.

peejay

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
South Cheshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx
Exp
Started Nov '09
Exit junction 16 M6 turn left, two good lay byes, or better still, two miles (left off M6) 2nd exit at rdabout 1 mile to next rdabout take 3 exit ---dead end and safe.:thumb:
peejay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back