Wifi in the van (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Hi all

I’m looking at setting up my own wifi in the van, partly for TV (Smart TV, Firestick with VPN) and partly for general web connectivity. Thoughts so far having read many threads on here are:
  • Not a small wifi dongle / phone tethering, as inside van signal is never that good - so external aerial of correct design for cellular reception
  • Ruled out satellite for TV as for the places I go to I’d need a very large dish!
  • Starlink is just too costly for my usage rate
So thinking of something like Maxview / Motorhome wifi, or just getting an external MiMo aeriel from Wifionboard and a suitable SIM based router from Netgear / TPLink etc. with a data contract from Lobster or the like.

A factor is that I have a static van elsewhere and want to be able to take the router from the van and use it there when I am not touring.

Any recommendations / observations would be much appreciated.

TIA!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a Kuma connect lite, I use it in my static, in a Motorhome you just stick the puck type aerial out of the skylight, I have mine with an EE sim with 200gb for £20 a month
The set up was about £200

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I fitted a Poynting antenna with a Huwei router with a regulated 12 volt power supply. I use an Id Mobile sim - 200gb for £12 a month with unused data rolling over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F
Nov 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
I have a Kuma connect lite, I use it in my static, in a Motorhome you just stick the puck type aerial out of the skylight, I have mine with an EE sim with 200gb for £20 a month
The set up was about £200
Nice simple solution, thanks for the post!

OP
OP
F
Nov 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
I fitted a Poynting antenna with a Huwei router with a regulated 12 volt power supply. I use an Id Mobile sim - 200gb for £12 a month with unused data rolling over.
Thanks Steve, did you use the multi antenna with Wifi / cellular / GPS and connect to your satnav too?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just one point Puck's are useless in the 800mhz bandwidth which is what most cell masts transmitt on in remote areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back