Wifi in the RV. (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
What is the best way to have wifi on the move? We are off to Spain and Portugal in April/May/June, and will need internet.

We had a three mobile Huawei device before, and it worked fine, then after the 2 year contract expired, some scroat stole the device. So contract ended and cancelled DD. Now I have to start again, but, I don't want to pay £2 a day roaming charges.

Do you know what is the best way please? I am not tech savvy, so simplicity is the way for me.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

CAClase_Justin

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
TBH there are plenty of options and variations of budget from less than £100 up to £2000 but ultimately it depends on how much data, features like a VPN and then reliability of signal especially in congested and rural regions.

My advice budget for the most you're willing to spend but don't compromise on the antenna always choose the highest gain you can, use a vehicle specific router avoid cheap MiFi's they don't offer the same performance, and finally pick the right network provider that will match your data needs, personally, I would take both a UK SIM and then obtain a local SIM with the right router you can use both to their full advantage.

If you get stuck give me a call or message.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We had a three mobile Huawei device before, and it worked fine, then after the 2 year contract expired, some scroat stole the device. So contract ended and cancelled DD. Now I have to start again, but, I don't want to pay £2 a day roaming charges.

Do you know what is the best way please? I am not tech savvy, so simplicity is the way for me.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Shame you haven't got the device as if the contract has ended then roaming is at pre Brexit costs ie free

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
When I looked at this thread I thought it said win WiFi in the RV ?
Silly me.
I bought a Huawei dongle off just Smiffy, still haven’t used it yet. My phone tethers pretty good, maybe not for streaming though.
Phil

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
SKY sim is still the best bet. No roaming capping and can use your normal SKY mobile account with "Piggybank" data swapping between devices. No need for a VPN but obviously would get a better signal with a rooftop aerial. We've got his one installed.
https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/5g-ready-compact-plus/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CAClase_Justin

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
SKY sim is still the best bet. No roaming capping and can use your normal SKY mobile account with "Piggybank" data swapping between devices. No need for a VPN but obviously would get a better signal with a rooftop aerial. We've got his one installed.
https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/5g-ready-compact-plus/
Sky is an OK choice but is one of the more expensive MVNO's and yes, for now, doesn't cap roaming data but O2 (Telefonica) who provide Sky with their network access has introduced a 25GB cap and as we've seen with the numerous 3 piggyback networks (Superdrug, SMARTY etc.) roaming fair use rules are very likely to be added with very short notice.

The good news is Sky/O2 roams onto Movistar which is a very strong network for overall throughput speed and is definitely a good choice for Spain closely followed by Orange although not as fast Orange has greater 4G coverage.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Sky is an OK choice but is one of the more expensive MVNO's and yes, for now, doesn't cap roaming data but O2 (Telefonica) who provide Sky with their network access has introduced a 25GB cap and as we've seen with the numerous 3 piggyback networks (Superdrug, SMARTY etc.) roaming fair use rules are very likely to be added with very short notice.

The good news is Sky/O2 roams onto Movistar which is a very strong network for overall throughput speed and is definitely a good choice for Spain closely followed by Orange although not as fast Orange has greater 4G coverage.
Good points. The fall back if Sky follows the others will be a VPN with my sim or a local sim. We're not now due to go to Spain until January 23 so by then we'll know the situation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back