Why, if we can access the internet by iPhone............. (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
And if everyone within range of that mast also tried to use it like you are, you would see a big change in performance, and reliability of calls, mobile phone companys activity disconnect voice calls if more data capacity is required.
Well no problems to date, slowest i have seen is @ 65mbs. Doesnt that also apply to cable supply? Thats what Virgin have been telling me until i binned them.
The 4g has been a lot more stable and reliable than the Virgin cable.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Ditto here in Cumbria!šŸ¤Ø
We live in very rural North Cumbria with a copper cable and 6 miles from the nearest exchange. That was a hopeless situation until 10 years ago when EE and the government put money into enabling a wireless 4g network that actually works for a large geographic area with a minute population. We went from 250kb to 25mb download speeds. Yes we can be affected by adverse weather, congestion and mast outages, but 4g certainly is the only option for us. We look forward to getting 5g, once the cities who already have fibre, super strong 4g and whatever we in the sticks can only dream about have been upgraded to whatever comes next..

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
We just spent a night on the CAMC Clumber Park site. No TV signal, could not get a satellite signal because of the trees. No mobile phone signal, not even 2g and no WiFi. Only connection was the Club free WiFi which is only 1mb for an hour.
The UK infrastructure compared to Europe is lamentable, mainly because it is enacted by private companies who are shareholder driven controlled by toothless regulators. The best service is reserved for the areas with the biggest returns, I.e. cities.
In our house in Kidsgrove we have FTTC which no fibre to the door on the horizon.
In our house in France we have fibre into the house. The village has about 450 dwellings and is as rural as it gets.
Our friends house in Spain is the same.
BT complains that installing fibre is too expensive and wants more subsidies. Complete hogwash.
As far as 5g is concerned. I believe the data carried on the 5g networks are routed via fibre to the network. 'Cables' are needed.

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
The phone service in my road (still) is by overhead cable and we had a team of workmen digging trenches up the road and pavements for 6 weeks to put in fibre and junction boxes to do a 500 yd stretch. The contractors weren't working all the time but did a day or two here and there and had barriers and cones, laid down steel sheets and gawd knows what so that we could still use our driveways. Mud everywhere! It's still not available at our houses 8 months later.
(The digging machines dropped the trench soil into lorries which took it away, then later brought the soil back to refill the trenches :rolleyes:)
(Oh, and before the work started there were two chaps sat in a van outside my house for a whole day who told me they were doing an 'Impact and Risk assessment').
We had this circus last year, went on for weeks, when the first spots of rain appeared they sat in the van, engine running constantly, their contribution to global warming, their long gone now, thankfully, they left a reminder of their visit as the pavement looks like a patchwork quilt šŸ˜•

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back