what to do (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Our car in for service this morning and they have found a bird's nest with eggs under the bonnet. We can limit use now but the car has just done a 6 hour trip to Oban and back staying away for 3 days.
Will the bird find the nest if we move it or maybe it won't come back as car been away for days any ideas or advice. Ta

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
IMHO: If you were away for so long, the hen will have probably made a new nest elsewhere with new eggs by now. The eggs in your car's nest will have been too cold for too long without a bird to incubate them. I would remove it from the car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
far too late now. after being moved the parents will abandon the nest. good job you didnt know first before your trip because disturbing some nests can see you get a big fine.

local to me a garage found a nest in a van they were selling. the council sent out somebody to identify the breed and on their orders the van could not be touched until after the chicks fledged. the van couldn't be sold or moved for weeks. if they failed to comply it would have been a fine of a few thousand pounds:whatthe: mind you it was featured in the papers and on tv and did the garage absolutely no harm with all the good (FREE) publicity

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
There's no way those eggs are going to hatch now after their journeys even if the bird returns. If it were me I think I'd give up on the nest.

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks folks, deep down I knew the nest would be abandoned, I think it belonged to a blackbird. :Sad:6

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think it was built in Oban and you should take it back:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.