What make of dog is this? (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
French bulldogs ugly little buggers, bad as pugs. In my opinion the breeding of such severely deformed dogs should be banned. They cant breathe properly and there must be quite a bit of pain, possibly why this sort of dog is often short tempered. Cant blame them really.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I have two Frenchies and neither are ‘deformed’, have breathing difficulties, are in any pain nor are they short tempered in any way.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
French bulldogs ugly little buggers, bad as pugs. In my opinion the breeding of such severely deformed dogs should be banned. They cant breathe properly and there must be quite a bit of pain, possibly why this sort of dog is often short tempered. Cant blame them really.
I have two frenchies, both brilliant natures, friends with lots of other dogs, only time they show any signs of breathing problems is in hot weather, as most other dogs would, they are certainly not ugly and are not deformed or in pain, also as I stated I had two pugs, they didn’t have any problems except when very hot, but as a responsible owner I didn’t walk them in the heat of the day, I would take them out early or late as other responsible owners would do. Obviously in your opinion you know nothing about dogs

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Look up "brachycephalic" which is the term for dogs selected by breeding for short noses. I don't like it as they can so easily, unless the parents are very carefully chosen, suffer from breathing problems plus other issues.

It's a fashion thing. :(
We have 2 shih tzu bred to look cute with tiny noses and big eyes. One in particular has trouble breathing during walks and hot weather. Also bred for long backs (both have/had back issues including slipped disc) and one major arthritic in his ‘lovely Queen Anne legs’). We usually acquire second hand dogs (got these at one year old when they stopped been cute and became hooligans) but prefer good old fashioned mongrels and crossbred (especially in the wallets!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We have 2 shih tzu bred to look cute with tiny noses and big eyes. One in particular has trouble breathing during walks and hot weather. Also bred for long backs (both have/had back issues including slipped disc) and one major arthritic in his ‘lovely Queen Anne legs’). We usually acquire second hand dogs (got these at one year old when they stopped been cute and became hooligans) but prefer good old fashioned mongrels and crossbred (especially in the wallets!)
Saying that they are now nearly 13 and ace little dogs with friendly happy personalities but wish the breeders would be more selective/responsible

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I know a bloke that breeds them now and again.

He sells the pups for 3k each 😳
My older one (5) came to me one month before her second birthday £600, first thing the seller said was they had 6 dogs in a rented house, landlady said you can only have two hence the sale, she has been perfect from day one, so well behaved, smaller one (2 next month) was £2000, about the going rate, wouldn’t have paid anymore than that, he has also proved to be really well behaved, older one has taught him everything.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As many of you know, I am very vocal in the dog community about canine health and the appalling way that the Kennel Club perpetuates the flawed ideals of Eugenics. I firmly believe that all such inbreeding is an ultimate death sentence for many breeds. Statistically highly bred "pure" breeds have a shorter lifespan than a "mutt"

My own favourite breed is, in it's KC form subject to multiple genetic issues. So I prefer the old style dogs rather than their pedigree cousins. The Bull & Terrier origin of the Staffy is a shared origin of many bull breeds. There is absolutely no need to selectively breed shorter stops that create the shortened face. Not only can it lead to seriously bad breathing issues, but also potentially brain damage caused by the deliberately mis-shapen skull

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We had a Frenchie 50+ years ago when no-one had seen them before. As well as problems breathing they have difficulty whelping and ours had a patella which continually slipped out and dislocated. All inbreeding issues and very disappointing to my mother who wanted to breed from her after she won her class at Crufts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back