What can a VPN do and what it cannot do. Lots of misinformation around this and bad adverts. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A VPN does not give you any security advantages. Having this argument with a guy in another place. I remembered Tom Scott did a video about this some time ago.
The guy who was arguing with me liked the video and found it informative.

I can't remember sharing it here. So here it is. Well worth a watch if you use a VPN or are thinking about it.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've not used a VPN in years but when I did I remember they made a big deal about how it speeds up your connection. I constantly had buffering issues using VPN's. Always fixed by disconnecting it.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We live in Spain...over the past half lifetime I have tried, subscribed and got refunded by so many VPN providers I could not say how many, they all claim to be able to do this and that......well for a short period they can then...the BBC detect them and, bang...they are blocked....the only thing that works for me is to mask my DNS...so far it's working.....

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We live in Spain...over the past half lifetime I have tried, subscribed and got refunded by so many VPN providers I could not say how many, they all claim to be able to do this and that......well for a short period they can then...the BBC detect them and, bang...they are blocked....the only thing that works for me is to mask my DNS...so far it's working.....

I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years. I used VPN's to watch UK TV. The free ones were useless but subscription ones like Express VPN and Nord VPN worked well. All UK channels were pretty reliable. The BBC did catch up with them sometimes but they had many servers within the UK so changing to a different location within the UK usually sorted it. Sometimes I found clearing cookies, URL history etc also helped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years. I used VPN's to watch UK TV. The free ones were useless but subscription ones like Express VPN and Nord VPN worked well. All UK channels were pretty reliable. The BBC did catch up with them sometimes but they had many servers within the UK so changing to a different location within the UK usually sorted it. Sometimes I found clearing cookies, URL history etc also helped.
I can add your providers to my list of failures, and many more...strange thing is VPN usage...I just gave up.... fortunately I have Cable TV now.....well the last time I looked I did....😄😄🇪🇦

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back