Water leak from tap (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
While away on the continent we found that the bathroom tap was leaking water from the body joints. Quite badly actually, it gave no warning, just started running out. Like the kitchen tap it has a swivelling spout. As we were away from home I used a couple of bits of rubber to isolate the tap from the inlet pipework.

On getting home I dismantled the tap, shown in the pictures below. It would appear that the rubber grommets in the tap body became dry and hence did not make a good seal. I tried various places for replacement grommets but no luck at all.

As I had a spare bathroom basin tap at home I fitted that to the bathroom basin and I think it looks better than the swivel tap. No chance of it leaking either.

Once the vehicle is drained down for the winter I will dismantle the kitchen tap and put silicon grease on the grommets, to try and prevent leaks from that tap. Once removed they are very easy to strip and reassemble.

PXL_20220706_113425068.jpgPXL_20220706_113450435.jpgPXL_20220706_113652585.jpgPXL_20220706_085331127.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you remove the big nut shown at the top of the tap body in your first photo you'll be able to pull out a ceramic tap insert like this.

There are two sizes with this being the other.

That, along with a smearing of plumbers grease on it, should cure your problem. Well, it did on ours when we had to replace whilst touring Cornwall earlier this year.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you remove the big nut shown at the top of the tap body in your first photo you'll be able to pull out a ceramic tap insert like this.

There are two sizes with this being the other.

That, along with a smearing of plumbers grease on it, should cure your problem. Well, it did on ours when we had to replace whilst touring Cornwall earlier this year.
No, the problem is with the grommets leaking past. Your problem was with the mixer cartridge.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I had a similar problem with a Reich tap. No amount of silicon grease or ptfe tape sorted it. Had to get a new tap in the end at nigh on £100. Only 18 months since I replaced it previously. I hope regreasing works for you.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
While away on the continent we found that the bathroom tap was leaking water from the body joints. Quite badly actually, it gave no warning, just started running out. Like the kitchen tap it has a swivelling spout. As we were away from home I used a couple of bits of rubber to isolate the tap from the inlet pipework.

On getting home I dismantled the tap, shown in the pictures below. It would appear that the rubber grommets in the tap body became dry and hence did not make a good seal. I tried various places for replacement grommets but no luck at all.

As I had a spare bathroom basin tap at home I fitted that to the bathroom basin and I think it looks better than the swivel tap. No chance of it leaking either.

Once the vehicle is drained down for the winter I will dismantle the kitchen tap and put silicon grease on the grommets, to try and prevent leaks from that tap. Once removed they are very easy to strip and reassemble.

View attachment 638995View attachment 638996View attachment 638997View attachment 638998
We've replaced our taps. The new taps were from Screwfix and cost so little it wasn't worth the trouble to dismantle the old ones and rebuild them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a similar problem with the kitchen tap, silicone grease on the swivel body seals sorted it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back