Walking first aid kits. (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I used to carry a basic first aid kit in my walking rucksack. But I've used things from it and it's getting old and I've even neglected taking it recently. I know...

But doing more walking with Hollie has made me think I should carry one again. Funny how you think about things more when you're with someone.

So I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations? Nothing massive, because it needs to fit in my rucksack with my other gear. But enough for a fall etc.

What do you carry?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have found that by using a previously purchased first aid pouch and topping it up with the likes of St Johns ambulance first aid replenishment kit suits us.
They do a variety of different refills available on line

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Many, many, years ago when I was doing a sailing course one night at sea one of the instructors shared his personal first aid kit.
It was just an Old Holburn tin, containing a tampon, a condom and a roll of insulation tape.
On querying the contents, he explained;
In the event of a deep cut / wound the tampon is sterile, absorbent and the insulation tape will allow a good pressure on the dressing, adhere to itself if wet.
The condom can be used as, also sterile, to water proof or is good for burns, and to waterproof small wounds, or when stretched used as a tourniquet for large bleeds while applying a pressure dressing (tampon etc) then redeployed for additional wound closing.
The condom can be used over a foot, hand etc to keep a dressing clean and dry.
The tape on its own can be used over a deep cut as a make shift steri-strip, with the tampon over it and then further taped to apply pressure.
The tape on its own, with a news paper, or alternatively sticks and some padding can serve as an emergency splint - or used to secure an arm in the event of a dislocated shoulder - or used diagonally to brace, support and stabalise a twisted ankle or sprained wrist.
Etc...
Nowadays the only addition I've made to mine is to add a disposable CPR face mask, a small phial of iodine and a couple of good sticky plasters.

All well and good, though by far and away the best thing is to do a good advanced first and secondary aid course as well including CPR - and to do the refreshers every few years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I bought a carry in the car kit from Aldi...in itself it is very comprehensive since then I have added some closures, an adult airway, foil wrap... I've used the closures on many occasions as fierce brambles have the tearing effect on thin ageing skin....a Triangular bandage had so many practical uses...I still carry one also...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back