Funster
Sep 14, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo
Exp
Since 2015
If we wanted to visit Alhambra or Rhonda, can anyone suggest a way of doing this. Could we camp on a site and join a tour bus or something?
Hoping someone can help?

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
We stayed at Camping Las Lomas, Guejar Sierra, about 4m from Granada. Lovely site overlooking a reservoir, with restaurant. Bus stop at the gates and bus goes very close to Alhambra. Worked fine.

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Public bus into the city is the best thing. You can get into most of the Alhambra for free, but if you want to see the palace you’ll need to book - last year they told us we needed to book at least 6 weeks in advance. We then had to work our trip around that booking. We stayed at Alto Vinuelas campsite - good bus service to the city, but didn’t enjoy the campsite

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
... but if you want to see the palace you’ll need to book - last year they told us we needed to book at least 6 weeks in advance. We then had to work our trip around that booking.
We visited about 6 years ago and this might have changed ... but ... our understanding was the same as Kev's when we arrived. However, talking to the campsite manager at Las Lomas he told me that some extra tickets were issued at midnight for the next day. You have to be on the Alhambra website ready to pounce because they go in about 2 minutes. Need to have your credit card handy.

Anyway, I did pounce at midnight and indeed get into the Palace the next day. Well worth it.

Worth asking locally when you get there if the system still exists.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Public bus into the city is the best thing. You can get into most of the Alhambra for free, but if you want to see the palace you’ll need to book - last year they told us we needed to book at least 6 weeks in advance. We then had to work our trip around that booking. We stayed at Alto Vinuelas campsite - good bus service to the city, but didn’t enjoy the campsite
Are you sure? When we were there you had to pay to visit the gardens. But Alhambra is very impressive and it will take all day to get round it all.

When we went we stayed in the top car park, furthest away from the gates and where the coaches stopped. It is not cheap for a car park (about €26 for 24 hours if I remember rightly) but it is cheaper and much easier than staying in a campsite for 2 nights and getting the bus in and out. Got lucky and managed to get late tickets on the internet. We arrived at about 5pm the day before and wandered down to entrance and picked up our ordered tickets with no queues. Next morning we wandered down at about 8:30, and got straight in, again without any queues. Finished looking around by about 4pm and went back to the motorhome. We were shattered so drove towards the coast for about an hour and then stopped at a nice little free spot overlooking a reservoir.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Many threads and info on here if you put 'Alhambra' in the Search facility. Here's just a couple of them........

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Are you sure? When we were there you had to pay to visit the gardens.
Actually peterc10 you’re right and I stand corrected - my apologies Lee16 . You have to buy a ticket for the gardens OR a ticket for the Nasrid Palace (which has timed entry). The latter will let you wander the rest of the Alhambra all day without paying more (unless you want guided tours). There’s a wonderful lot of it, but you can exit to have lunch or a rest outside and return later in the day - our timed entry to the Nasrid Palace was 18:30 - the only slot available 4 weeks in advance. That was a bit of a rush-job with a few large groups taking some of the joy out of it. They did mention the ‘midnight sale’ of next day tickets, but we didn’t want to risk that.

OP
OP
Lee16

Lee16

Funster
Sep 14, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks all for your replies. I know we tried to buy tickets in 2019 there was nothing available for months, so we need to plan ahead this time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we went we stayed at a small campsite south of the city bought tickets from campsite for the next day. If you looked online as an individual all tickets were sold out for a couple of months.
Wasn't very impressed with it, far better places to visit in Spain.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
We did much the same site wise, a couple of miles out of town. A bus ride into Granada then a bus to the palace, got to the palace early morning and bought our tickets from the Palace itself but they were for later in the day. To be honest we were a bit too tired to really enjoy it after all the messing about getting the tickets and found it all a bit rushed and boring , not my thing at all.

Ronda I love having been there a few times, there is a good site within walking distance of the old town, I cant remember the name offhand but im sure you will find it. It is certainly worth the drive up, the drive back down has some lovely views across to Gibraltar. certainly worth the effort to get there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back