UK tv channels viewing, what do i need to add to beyond a dish & receiver (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So new van already came with an Oyster dish and TV with built in receiver however as we’ve never used a Sat TV set up i don’t know what else i would need to pick up any UK channels whilst in France, Italy etc etc. We only planned on using the set up with online TV via the WiFi system installed but it seems a shame not to use the dish if it’s easier enough to do so and can always be a plan B if needed.

So what do i need to add ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have an 80cm Oyster dish and picked up UK tv in the south of France without any problems.
I don't think you will need anything else, just set for Astra 2

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Any particular card I would need as my receiver didn’t come with one

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
You just need something that decodes the signal. Without seeing your actual installation, your receiver probably just tells the satellite dish where to point to. The signal it then receives needs to be 'read' and turned into a programme you can watch, by something commonly referred to as a sat TV tuner. Some TVs have them built in, they are in built into sky TV boxes or you can buy them for a few quid off the internet. If you're not watching encrypted channels that you have to pay for them you don't need a card or subscription.

Think of it as an aerial at home. You still need to tune in your TV to the signal from the aerial. The aerial needs to point in the right direction. Your sat dish is the aerial, your receiver tells it where to point and then you need someone to tune into the channels. If the dish or aerial isn't pointing in the right direction you won't be getting a signal to tune into.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
You just need something that decodes the signal. Without seeing your actual installation, your receiver probably just tells the satellite dish where to point to. The signal it then receives needs to be 'read' and turned into a programme you can watch, by something commonly referred to as a sat TV tuner. Some TVs have them built in, they are in built into sky TV boxes or you can buy them for a few quid off the internet. If you're not watching encrypted channels that you have to pay for them you don't need a card or subscription.

Think of it as an aerial at home. You still need to tune in your TV to the signal from the aerial. The aerial needs to point in the right direction. Your sat dish is the aerial, your receiver tells it where to point and then you need someone to tune into the channels. If the dish or aerial isn't pointing in the right direction you won't be getting a signal to tune into.

So no card needed to pick up the regular UK 5 channels. Receiver we already have as part of the TV, it’s just missing a card but if i read correctly we only need that to watch encrypted channels ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
So no card needed to pick up the regular UK 5 channels. Receiver we already have as part of the TV, it’s just missing a card but if i read correctly we only need that to watch encrypted channels ?
Yes, but obv try it first. You will need a sat cable between the receiver and your TV but you might be lucky if the previous owner has had the TV points wired back to the sat receiver, so all you would need to do us connect a sat cable from the TV to the TV outlet

16802593627764321854872553019173.jpg

I installed two of these in different locations in our motorhome so we can move the TV and watch in the lounger or bedroom area. I still need the TV with inbuilt sat tuner (avtex) wherever I site the TV.

16802595675117991839184081810435.jpg

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
We were receiving channels through out France and down to northern /mid Portugal and northern Spain same set up as yours the only thing we did was chance locations in controller which was simple even for me.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, but obv try it first. You will need a sat cable between the receiver and your TV but you might be lucky if the previous owner has had the TV points wired back to the sat receiver, so all you would need to do us connect a sat cable from the TV to the TV outlet

View attachment 733622

I installed two of these in different locations in our motorhome so we can move the TV and watch in the lounger or bedroom area. I still need the TV with inbuilt sat tuner (avtex) wherever I site the TV.

View attachment 733626

Yes TV is already hard wired to the receiver box and that to the dish. Dish is an Oyster 85cm twin LNB.

I will have a fiddle and see if i can pick anything up….. usually not a lot in it’s garage so will have to be when i take the van out this weekend.

👍🏻

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Yes TV is already hard wired to the receiver box and that to the dish. Dish is an Oyster 85cm twin LNB.

I will have a fiddle and see if i can pick anything up….. usually not a lot in it’s garage so will have to be when i take the van out this weekend.

👍🏻
Mine is also twin lnb, I simply used one of the lnb cables to feed one outlet in the motorhome and the other cable to feed my second outlet, so each outlet is only single lnb fed. It works for me as I don't need to record one channel when watching another!

I also stream a lot of TV and fund having the option of standard TV aerial, sat TV and fire stick via internet gives me what I want.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So had a chance to play with the system a bit yesterday. I‘ve downloaded the Oyster (Ten Haaft) app and can connect to the dish controller, from that i can select the satellite and in this case Astra 2, is that correct ? I ask as i notice that there are several Astra 2 options mentioned on the internet (E,F & G, maybe others) but mine only offered Astra 2 ?

What i can’t seem to work out is how to select channels on the TV itself (from Astra 2) as it only shows channels from the satellites it has preset ie Hotbird and Astra 1. TV is an Alphatronics.

The dish locks on to A2 straight away although i suppose it could just be arriving to the right position, no way to tell as yet as i can^t find those channels…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back