Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Borrowed from Caravan Gaurd

Maybe of use to new comers and oldies alike:thumb:

Maintaining your Motorhome Tyres – The Facts
In 2012, Caravan Guard saw a huge increase in motorhome insurance claims for tyre related incidents – up 38% on the previous year!

These claims cost an average of £12,333 each and no doubt caused many motorhome owners some inconvenience too.:Eeek:

The majority of these claims were as a result of tyre blowouts whilst travelling. Although a damaged tyre may not seem like an expensive item to replace, it’s the damage that occurs after the blowout due to loss of control and collisions with other vehicles or stationary objects that significantly increases the claims cost.

I’m sure all our readers will agree, it’s much better to to keep our motorhome tyres maintained and check them regularly than put ourselves at risk, so here’s our motorhome tyre maintenance checklist for you to use before each journey.

Check your tyre tread depth! – The legal tread depth for a tyre in the UK is 1.6mm across 3/4 of the tyre’s surface, however, you should be aware that the less tread you have, the less grip you will have and this will affect your stopping distances and ability to control the vehicle.

Check for signs of ageing – if you only use your motorhome a few times a year, it’s unlikely that you’ll need to change your tyres due to tread wear. However, even a tyre with plenty of tread can still deteriorate, with cracks appearing in the sidewalls and the rubber becoming perished. Any signs of ageing are an indication that the tyre should be replaced as any weak spots will leave the tyre vulnerable to a blowout. If you’ve bought a second-hand motorhome, check the age of the tyres Link Removed
Check your pressure – Tyre pressures should be checked regularly – preferably every week if the motorhome is used often – and always when the tyres are cold. Warm tyres will not give an accurate reading. Ensure the pressures in your front and rear tyres comply with your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations as having under or over inflated tyres can cause issues with your steering and even braking.

Link Removed - Such as Jim supplies Link Removed, Do nt be fooled into buying cheaper use once and throw away types.
When fitted to your motor home, these monitoring systems will alert your to any loss of pressure in your tyre's whilst you are travelling. Armed with this information, you are able to find a safe place to pull over and address any issues. It will also give you peace of mind on longer journeys.
Many motorhome owners will only use their motorhome for holidays a few times a year, so it’s easy to think that the tyres will rarely need replacing or checking. However, just like a vehicle you use everyday, tyres can become damaged and be subject to deterioration. So, to avoid being in our motorhome claims statistics next year

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Well said, and timely too as some will be dusting off their MHs in the hope of some better weather.
My tyres have loads of tread but are 6 years old, and I will be replacing them in the next week or so. This will hopefully allow me to get a pre-puncture sealant put in at Peterborough.

I know the tyre fitters don't like it, but I think its a useful aid, especially when, like my van, there is no spare. It also ensures no loss of pressure in normal use as it seals the tyre to the wheel rim. I have not had to add any air for a year or more. (I have Jim's pressure monitors fitted)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well said, and timely too as some will be dusting off their MHs in the hope of some better weather.
My tyres have loads of tread but are 6 years old, and I will be replacing them in the next week or so. This will hopefully allow me to get a pre-puncture sealant put in at Peterborough.

I know the tyre fitters don't like it, but I think its a useful aid, especially when, like my van, there is no spare. It also ensures no loss of pressure in normal use as it seals the tyre to the wheel rim. I have not had to add any air for a year or more. (I have Jim's pressure monitors fitted)

Been a few posts lately about new tyres, I'm due for a change soon, have you decided what you're going for?

Oh and just playing devil's advocate for a minute, I can see the sense of the monitors but they will only give a visual check on inspection but no warning when in motion. So it's a dilemna how much you pay for something even this cheap from Link Removed which could get nicked. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
tyre age

excellent thread George,but as usual i suspect it will fall on deaf ears for many:Eeek:
brian

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Been a few posts lately about new tyres, I'm due for a change soon, have you decided what you're going for?

Oh and just playing devil's advocate for a minute, I can see the sense of the monitors but they will only give a visual check on inspection but no warning when in motion. So it's a dilemna how much you pay for something even this cheap from Link Removed which could get nicked. :Sad:

These sensors wouldnt be good for MH's though as only work up to 50 psi.Am i right in saying this as i know my pressures should be around 65 psi.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
These sensors wouldnt be good for MH's though as only work up to 50 psi.Am i right in saying this as i know my pressures should be around 65 psi.

You are not right
The cheaper versions are as you say limited in what they can be used on and are generally once used cant be re used on a second other vehicle these sold by Jim however can be re set and the long life batterys can be changed too

some blurb from the web site

This version is designed especially for heavy vehicles that have a recommended tyre pressure of 60 – 170 psi (4.0 – 11.0 Bar) This Tyre Pressure LED operates the same but will start flashing for an 8 psi (0.6 Bar) pressure drop.
Link Removed
Geo

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
You are not right
The cheaper versions are as you say limited in what they can be used on and are generally once used cant be re used on a second other vehicle these sold by Jim however can be re set and the long life batterys can be changed too

This version is designed especially for heavy vehicles that have a recommended tyre pressure of 60 – 170 psi (4.0 – 11.0 Bar) This Tyre Pressure LED operates the same but will start flashing for an 8 psi (0.6 Bar) pressure drop.
Link Removed
Geo
Im talking of the ones on the maplin link on rolfarris's earlier post ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
You are not right

Link Removed
Geo

Daveo is referring to the link in Rolfs thread,

Clearly Dave that one at maplins can do up to 50psi making it useless for nearly all motorhomes...

I have some of Jims thingys, they work, although they make for being a little lazy. Before I had them I checked my tyres more regularly than now, now I tend to check for flashing lights and leave it.

I just fitted 4 continental vanco camper tyres last month, changed on age and not tread wear, great set of tyres fitted on my drive by tyresonthedrive.com excellent service and the best price by miles around. :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

I will be going for the Continental caravan tyres, as originally fitted by Rapido, if I can get them. Jim's pressure monitors will work on my van at 65psi and need a key thing to get them off. I have no doubt a mole wrench would remove them, but they might not work afterwards.:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Daveo is referring to the link in Rolfs thread,

Clearly Dave that one at maplins can do up to 50psi making it useless for nearly all motorhomes...

I have some of Jims thingys, they work, although they make for being a little lazy. Before I had them I checked my tyres more regularly than now, now I tend to check for flashing lights and leave it.

I just fitted 4 [HI]continental vanco camper[/HI] tyres last month, changed on age and not tread wear, great set of tyres fitted on my drive by tyresonthedrive.com excellent service and the best price by miles around. :thumb:

They're the ones I want. I've not heard of that company but will give them a try. I have used etyres and blackcircles in the past.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
They're the ones I want. I've not heard of that company but will give them a try. I have used etyres and blackcircles in the past.

Don't think they actually do your neck of the woods. So unless your up this way for a weekend might be a problem.

Came out cheaper than black circles and e tyres but majorly without the hassle :thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
If you go online with national tyres they offer a guarantee on tyres now for accidental damage and if unrepairable replace with new.Not sure of the ins and outs as i havent read yet but if you take into account their deals/discounts ,under £10 for each tyre extra cant be a bad deal?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The tyre pressure monitor that I sell, is very difficult to steal. You need a key to remove it. We supply three of these one for each set of keys and a spare.

You cannot really compare these with indicators you might buy in Maplins. Ours are designed to live in a hostile, commercial environment for many years, they have a brass thread fixing system that makes the unit safer than a valve alone.

These take a sample of air into a reference reservoir holding that air outside the tyre to account for altitude and temperature movements, meaning it never false alarms. As soon as the pressure drops just 4psi an LED flashes, you can see this easily, even through accumulated road dirt.

Similar looking systems that work on a traffic light system, ie if you can see the green bit of plastic its OK, amber or red if you've lost air; often have plastic or nylon threads that will eventually fail meaning you'll lose all your air quickly.

There are advantages of the system that monitors and reports into the cab, but that means you are someway down the road before you know you have a problem. The most popular one of these has a locking system, but it's a grub screw that you need a tiny Allen key to undo, this is not very conducive to topping up with air, who want's to fiddle with a grub screw this weather!

Optimum tyre pressure is important for fuel efficiency and road-holding/handling. But most of the damage ever done to tyres is when they are stood idle (In cab systems are no use then, there's no one in the cab) leaving a motorhome for months on end with soft tyres in winter and you pay the price with a blow out in August when the damage gives out on a French Autoroute.

With traditional TPMS systems costing hundreds of £ our system is a fraction of the cost and performs much better. Thank-you for this advertising opportunity ::bigsmile: Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry Geo, but Jims sensors DO NOT alert you to air lose while travelling.

they must be visually checked and will not give any warning of air lose while in motion so you could be running on an almost flat tyre and not be aware.

saying that, there are millions of motorists out there totally oblivious to their tyre pressures between service intervals..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry Geo, but Jims sensors DO NOT alert you to air lose while travelling.

they must be visually checked and will not give any warning of air lose while in motion so you could be running on an almost flat tyre and not be aware.

saying that, there are millions of motorists out there totally oblivious to their tyre pressures between service intervals..

Yes you are right John, but not for long:Smile: we have a system coming on line soon that has all the benefits of both systems. A walk round check before you start, and an en-route indicator that alerts if any sensor fires while travelling. They are past the testing and are now building. The system looks great, I've seen it in action and hopefully I will be demoing it at the Commercial Vehicle show at the NEC next month. I've no idea what the price point will be yet, but it will be much better and much cheaper than any other in-cab system out there:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Yes you are right John, but not for long:Smile: we have a system coming on line soon that has all the benefits of both systems. A walk round check before you start, and an en-route indicator that alerts if any sensor fires while travelling. They are past the testing and are now building. The system looks great, I've seen it in action and hopefully I will be demoing it at the Commercial Vehicle show at the NEC next month. I've no idea what the price point will be yet, but it will be much better and much cheaper than any other in-cab system out there:thumb:

Is this an add on for the in place jobbies or a totally new system Jim ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

good newsJim, i knew there was a reason for delaying buying.

I hope they will have the necessary wireless range for an RV,s rear axle

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
good newsJim, i knew there was a reason for delaying buying.

I hope they will have the necessary wireless range for an RV,s rear axle

Not sure yet, I don't think they'll need it, but it will need real world testing to supply that info definitively.

The caps will now have to transmit but they will weigh the same, less than half an ounce, be shorter and a tiny bit wider. The antenna coiled up at the top and is the reason for the extra width.

The beauty of the in-cab part is that its so simple you don't need a screen, if a cap fires, it shows a light, you just need to walk around to see which tyre has lost air. Traditional six wheel systems cost an absolute fortune, hopefully we'll shake that market up a little:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Why was there such an increase in tyre problems in 2012 though?

Thats a huge increase.:Eeek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Why was there such an increase in tyre problems in 2012 though?

Thats a huge increase.:Eeek:

Good point - 38% increase ?

Just how many claims ? - numbers please not percentages

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I doubt Geo has got that data.

I had a blowout last year though on a 3 year old tyre.

Bloody scary.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Taken from a survey of accidents on French motorways, only 6.7% of accidents resulted from tyre blowouts:

Interesting bit about front/rear tyres:

The frequency of tire blow-outs is especially high for vans, and almost always involves rear tires. This higher frequency for rear tires is the result of two phenomena, which are indistinguishable given the data available: firstly, a four-wheel vehicle is more difficult to control if a blow-out occurs on a rear tire (confirmed experimentally); secondly, rear tires may be in poor condition more often than front tires, and so more prone to blow-outs. Consequently, users are strongly recommended to install the best tires on rear wheels. In practice, if only the front tires are replaced, which often occurs because they tend to be worn out more quickly than the rear ones (especially for front wheel drive vehicles), it is necessary to move the rear tires to the front and fit the new ones on the rear wheels. Very interesting technological developments are in progress that should reduce the number of tire blow-outs. However, considering the time necessary to renew the number of cars on the roads, this very simple and inexpensive recommendation should apply to all cars and especially to vans.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Not an expert on the tyre checks but the age checks caught my eye. Recent research has proved that birthdays are good for you. The more of them you have the longer you live.......:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I had a blow out on a brand new tyre in the outside lane 2 years ago.I say brand new as was on a new van.I put my hazards on and tried to get to hard shoulder and had some knob noy letting me get over in the middle lane.Was at the busiest time of the morning on M2.Scary shit.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
No mention of a Funsters discount anywhere or am I being greedy? :shout:

Join us or log in to post a reply.