Funster No
MH
not yet bought
Exp
Newby
pikie pegs

Hi ALL,

Just a quickie on gypsie pegs...
I was only a small boy about 11 yrs old and a Itinerant came to the door selling those pegs made of wood.
I told her we had enough and shut the door, when my mum asked 'who was that', I got a back hander and she ran afetr the old gypsy women and invited her into the house. My mother promtly handed over a tenner (in 73) a small fortune. The Gypsy blurted some rubbish in teeth chattering gum wobbling banter whilst holding my mums hand.
A week later my mum who never goes to bingo but was adivesed to seek a money playing game won 5ooo pound.
I got an extra smack for telling my mum it was just luck. a second smack for looking at her defiently, a third off my dad telling me to keep my mouth shut and not to back answer my mother with 'THAT TONE'. We all went on holiday to Filey that year WOOOOOT.
Where was help and child line then guys... lesson learnt.. keep my gob shut , tellum nowt and lay low:Doh:. If a pikie knocks on our door now im 50, I politley tell them NO Thanks.:Angry:

But I still feel the hairs on my neck start to creep as look to see if mother is in the house LOL.:ROFLMAO:with crouched sholders.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hello John, when I first started out as explained in an earlier post I bought a licience as like you I was told I needed one under the same cicumstances, however at that time I found a section/paragraph that specifically referred to "Touring Caravans" stating they were exempt, granted it was hard to find and when I telephoned the office and explained that I had found it on their website the person I was speaking to had never heard of it but checked it out and later sent me a refund

Touring caravans are only exempt if you have a TV Licence at your home address.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ30/

I was of the understanding that you did need a tv licence to cover the radio if it could receive bbc channels. i recall a local blind man who was pursued for non payment of the tv licence as he listened to the radio. this was later dropped when it was realised he was exempt. that was many years ago though when tv was in black & white, so its probably changed

Do I need a TV Licence to listen to the radio?

No, you do not need a TV Licence to listen to the radio.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ102/

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If I ever full timed a tv license would be one of the last things I would think about::bigsmile:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi John

yes, i bet not many fulltimers are so 'honest' about buying one.

I'm assuming you also required a c/o address for the License ..

next topic...

should fulltimers pay council tax :hardhat:
Why not.........Fulltimers use everything that council tax pays for so why shouldn't they pay. Is there a specific council tax band for motor homes.:Smile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John

yes, i bet not many fulltimers are so 'honest' about buying one.

I'm assuming you also required a c/o address for the License ..

next topic...

should fulltimers pay council tax :hardhat:

Hi Jim

Yes a contact address is required (Not a UK residence) as with all official bodies.

The Council tax issues has been done to death on the Motorhome365 forum. The sister site of this one.

Basically if you keep moving and use cls or camp sites the council tax element is included in the business rates of the sites you use.

If you stay on one site or other land for more than 28 days and you cannot provide proof of a UK residence, then you could become liable for the council tax for that pitch.

Therefore fulltimes do pay council tax in one form or another.

John

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why not.........Fulltimers use everything that council tax pays for so why shouldn't they pay. Is there a specific council tax band for motor homes.:Smile:

Why don't Travellers pay rates and taxes?

This is a common misconception. It is true that Travellers do not pay rent or council tax on unauthorised camping sites, as they are not legally allowed to reside there, and this is why they should be on authorised sites where we are able to apply charges and taxes. Travellers on our authorised sites pay all the usual charges, as do any Travellers resident within settled accommodation.

so if you camp in a lay-by .. no tax

If you 'live' on a site you are due to pay tax.. this is best avoided by moving frequently ..

Most travellers dodge council tax

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A man in a big white van, with a big satelite dish on the top ,tracks you down
Yeah I bet he does :winky: You could keep a few dozen busy by just letting them on a site or two ::bigsmile: or the odd layby :winky:
terry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

Some areas do charge council tax at its' lowest band for caravans and motorhomes that are being lived in full time.

It is a grey area as to it's morality, as campsites are paying huge amounts of council tax (one campsite owner i know has a 3 bed house with CL -£25,000!!) on top of which they pay business rates, and a license fee.

These charges are all incorporated into the pitch fee - so you pay your fee, you pay your taxes. The services such as bins etc are covered by the site, which he pays for twice - one for council tax, other in business rates. The other services you pay for in the Pitch fee.

TV licenses are covered by your home if you have one, and otherwise are pretty unenforcable as you haven't an address. Licences are required for more than you think nowadays, and even are technically require for mobiles and tabs as they are 'capable of receiving a signal through the internet' - much in the way they clamped down on video recorders years ago.

Enforcing it is a different matter.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Touring caravans are only exempt if you have a TV Licence at your home address.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ30/

Do I need a TV Licence to listen to the radio?

No, you do not need a TV Licence to listen to the radio.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ102/

I'am on the electoral roll at the address I use ,as far as they are concerned and any body else in authority who it may concern. there is no doubt you have to duck and dive a bit when fulltiming

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
After reading the comments posted, I don't think I would bother with a licence.

How many people have actually been challenged to produce one whilst MHing ?

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
After reading the comments posted, I don't think I would bother with a licence.

How many people have actually been challenged to produce one whilst MHing ?

Well in the six years I've been full time I certainly havn't.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some areas do charge council tax at its' lowest band for caravans and motorhomes that are being lived in full time.

It is a grey area as to it's morality, as campsites are paying huge amounts of council tax (one campsite owner i know has a 3 bed house with CL -£25,000!!) on top of which they pay business rates, and a license fee.

These charges are all incorporated into the pitch fee - so you pay your fee, you pay your taxes. The services such as bins etc are covered by the site, which he pays for twice - one for council tax, other in business rates. The other services you pay for in the Pitch fee.

Council tax on the site owners property has nothing to do with the site .. they would pay them irrespective of whether they owned a site or not...

the site business rates rates go to central government.. not the council..

Colchester council billed me when I was on a CL in Colchester.
as previously said.. you need to duck and dive a bit when full time, so best to keep moving and stay no longer than 28days

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
you need to duck and dive a bit when full time, so best to keep moving and stay no longer than 28days

Fulltimers' mantra: keep below the radar. ::bigsmile:

For the record, I have no TV and the most I have spent in one place is 20 days [looking for smiley with halo but can't find one].

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back