Troubleshooting Peugeot Boxer Starting Problem (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Advangarde
Hi folks, my Peugeot boxer has been turning over very sluggishly for a long time and last night something went bang.
She won't turn over, all electrics are fine ,battery is new ( I thought a new battery would resolve the the issue) and immobiliser light turns off as usual, everything pointed to starter motor, van is 19 years old and only 30k on the clock so I thought lack of use might be an iss
20240420_164915.jpg
ue,tested starter and the bugger is spinning like mad so it must be something else, only obvious thing is the battery live connection is half broken, not sure if that's the issue, sounds a bit simple but if I'm able to post a pic I will, if anyone can identify the weird motorhome specific battery attachment adaptor that would be helpful as Google image search thinks its a fusebox
IMG-20240420-WA0003.jpeg

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Does the solenoid on the starter operate and pull the starter gear forward?if so
Although not ideal if battery post and terminal are clean and tight should be ok to start,clean out it back together try to start if it doesn't get warm or spark,try cleaning engine to body earth strap both ends (body and strap) & battery to body earth strap.
Cut that nasty connector off and fit a new one,(battery terminal)

OP
OP
M
Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Advangarde
Starter is spinning fine on test, will fit it back in tomorrow and I'll try and bodge a new connection, nothing explains the sluggish starting or the bang?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A breaker's yard might be your best shot for the battery terminal gubbins as they're probably generic to most of their range of vans and that broken clamp will cause issues further down the line ?
As to the "bang" did it happen just as you turned the key ? Although it's not starting, can you hear the starter spinning at all when you try to start it ? It might be that the engagement solenoid and linkage have broken on the starter ?
If you go for a new starter, take the old one with you when you go to the motor factors and you should get a "service exchange" discount from the price of the new one.

OP
OP
M
Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Advangarde
Hmm, OK, thanks for all the input, I've tested the starter motor and it spins fine, put it back in and made sure the battery is tight, cleaned up the connections, turn the key, not turning over, no clicks, nothing happens, after market immobiliser fitted but flashing light goes off as normal, I was convinced it was the starter because it started so sluggishly and had already purchased a new battery, everything else works fine just no turn over, info on the web is poor for some reason, is there a fuse that handles a starter motor exclusively?

OP
OP
M
Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Advangarde
Thanks everyone, sorted now, I always assume the worst rather than considering Okams razor first, I tried a jump lead from battery to chassis and she started up good as gold, just need to find the termination point on the chassis and clean it up.
Thank you everyone for your help

OP
OP
M
Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Advangarde
Oh my, issue not resolved, euro car parts and wilco (wisbeach auto superstore) do not stock and are unable to provide a replacement earth lead, bit strange, I bought a generic earth strap, fitted new fittings to the battery and cleaned up the earth point on the chassis, still won't run unless a jump lead is run from the battery to a point on the engine, I'm wondering if its an additional earth point, apparently their might be one from engine to chassis, anyone have a clue of its location? Peugeot boxer 2005

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
There should be a thick black cable from the negative terminal of the battery down to the chassis below the battery, then a braided cable from the chassis earth point to the engine. It is this braided cable that fails most often due to corrosion.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Oh my, issue not resolved, euro car parts and wilco (wisbeach auto superstore) do not stock and are unable to provide a replacement earth lead, bit strange, I bought a generic earth strap, fitted new fittings to the battery and cleaned up the earth point on the chassis, still won't run unless a jump lead is run from the battery to a point on the engine, I'm wondering if its an additional earth point, apparently their might be one from engine to chassis, anyone have a clue of its location? Peugeot boxer 2005

This is the gearbox to chassis earth strap position on our 2013 van but it's a pain to get to. It's on top of the N/S chassis leg and a spigot on the gearbox.

1714240176424.png

We had a 2004 Ducato PVC which was missing a gearbox to chassis earth strap and caused us starting problems, so I made a strap and fitted it to a threaded stud located on the underside of the N/S chassis leg and a bolt on the gearbox casing, which solved our starting problems.
You can get an earth strap made to suit on eBay.

1714240201933.png

OP
OP
M
Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Advangarde
Could do with a bit of TLC.
What is the other end connected to ?
Somewhere incredibly awkward, also, I'm going to need an eazy out, snapped the bloody head off didn't I, other end is impossible to get at without stripping stuff above from the bonnet side down, timebto look for alternative good earth's with a multimeter
Also I need to go on youtube to learn how to use a multimeter
I also need multimeter

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Somewhere incredibly awkward, also, I'm going to need an eazy out, snapped the bloody head off didn't I, other end is impossible to get at without stripping stuff above from the bonnet side down, timebto look for alternative good earth's with a multimeter
Also I need to go on youtube to learn how to use a multimeter
I also need multimeter

If there are alternative positions to attach an earth strap to the gearbox and chassis leg, then use those and forget about the original earth strap.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Add as many earth cables as you can. I added battery direct to engine block towing eye, left inner wing to gearbox (any convenient bolt will work) and finally towing eye on engine back to front chassis. Many gremlins disappeared. The main earth lead from battery down to inner right wing can rot from the inside out and have zero shielding from road spray.

OP
OP
M
Jul 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Advangarde
Yup, your all correct, I used a multimeter and found a nice point under the bonnet, I connected straight to the battery, and again corr3ct, didn't need to touch the old earth point under the arch, I'm expecting some wire wheels from ebay so I'll scrape of some paint and fit a secondary one with my "wasted" new battery earth lead (£14.99).
Cannot believe how fast she now turns over and fires up, I estimate from turning the key to engine running about 1- 1.5 seconds, instead of the sluggish laborious not been run six months flat battery style starts of old.
Amazing how much difference a £5 earth strap from Halfords can make.
Thanks for all your help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back