1. Untitled Document

Traveling to spain

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Mart grump, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

We are driving down to marjalinspain on the 27th December will all fuel stations be open or only some we will be using toll roads . Is there anyone else going down :BigGrin:
  2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

we are also going on the 27th but it is by tunnel and at 2am most petrol station have a card payment pump motorway station are sometimes more expensive than here i always tank right up here i know it costs more but it allows me to travel a good few miles before stopping for fuel aqnd away from calais are you off to marjal on the coast of the inland 1
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster

We leave on the 28th via Dover Calais but are not in a hurry so will not be on the autoroute. Travelling to Spain via Le Boulou and La Jonquera. Hopefully in La Jonquera for New Years eve but if not some other hostelry will have to put up with us.
    2 people like this.
  4. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

We're going to the inland marjal :thumb:
  5. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Spain

Not sure if you're driving all the way but if you are France could be a bigger problem, not for fuel but for stopping places.

When you get into Spain I would suggest you plan refuelling to avoid stopping near any of the major cities for security reasons. The trip down to Marjal is quite a hike. You will probably need at least one stop. Don't overnight on motorway services, again for your safety. We usually stop at Pico de la Miel at Cabreras, mainly coz it's open all year and it's a reasonable drive from our previous stop in France.

Have a great trip
  6. Momo

Momo Funster

All fuel stations will be open in Spain on motorways or not. Christmas isn't a big deal here - more important are the "local" holidays, for example, here in Valencia the Fallas Festival in March, as everybody joins in and only work the minimum during the Fiesta Week.

Enjoy your stay!
    2 people like this.
  7. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

How bad is it for security and safety in Spain
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster

Has something changed this year then ? It is the ONLY place we will stop cos we always feel safe with all the lorry drivers.. I always try and say hello to those parked around us.. Everyone has always looked out for one and other..

But from what you are saying things have changed in the latter months of this year ???
    1 person likes this.
  9. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Funster

Already there dude !!!!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:
    1 person likes this.
  10. Stephen & Jeannie

Get the Spanish Aires book !

Coming down a month ago, pulled into services for fuel and a break, a guy in an English MH came over and said he was broken into during the night, he woke up and they ran off ! he was surrounded by lorries !
    The police arrived on the scene and said it was a frequent occurence !:Angry::Angry::Angry:
  11. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i never had a problem in june so maybe things have changed i will do most of my driver at night if possible and get a few hours sleep around the early hours would stay in supermarket carparts if possible but never in the large towns
  12. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Funster

We'll be arriving on 3rd or 4th having spent New year at Villasol :BigGrin:

Mike.
    1 person likes this.
  13. ukbill

ukbill Funster

looks like a good few funsters will be there maybe those travelling at the same time can make a wagon train then park up like in the westerns circle wise :Rofl1:
    1 person likes this.
  14. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike

We bought the new Spanish aires book before setting off on this trip. It has plenty of new aires and highlights the ones that they advise against staying on - mostly motorway aires around Barcelona.

It would also be useful to have the French aires book too as you're travelling through.

We've stayed on a few Spanish aires in the past couple of years or so and not had any problems. We, too, don't usually use aires in large towns. Another rule we apply is only to stay when there is at least one other van, and, if we don't like the look of an aire, then don't stay on it.

Should see you in Marjal, then!

:BigGrin:
  15. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Some make it sound as though there are real problems with going to Spain, and security.

'Don't sleep here', 'don't fill up near a city', 'robbed whilst asleep', 'regular occurrence', not to mention being 'gassed'!.

It would put some people off ever going off their driveway!

I am sure the risks are similar to here. If you are blase about security, you will come unstuck, if you are more aware, and sensible, you would be less likely to be 'robbed'.

If it doesn't feel right, move on.

Would any of you, park overnight, in a lay-by, opposite a travellers site?
    Would any of you fill up in an English city, at night, and leave you MH/RV unlocked whilst you went and paid for fuel?

I get an image of nothing but robbers lined up at every motorway services, waiting to rob MHs, similarly at filling stations in city's.

Maybe there are 'Robbers Rests', places for them to have a break. Somewhere they can relax and read 'gassed weekly', and, 'how to rob an English MH'.
    They might even have their own magazine, 'Credit Card Exchange' containing adverts like, 'gassing kit for sale,' 'one owner from new, complete with instructions and MH volume calculations chart', or 'box of credit cards for sale', 'straight from the supplier at the Shell station in Lyon, £500 ono, cash only, no cards'.

Just be sensible, aware, and relaxed about travelling through Europe, but most of all, enjoy it!

Craig
    13 people like this.
  16. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Craig, I Absolutely love it, you are sooooo right!!:thumb:
    3 people like this.
  17. ukbill

ukbill Funster

the only time i have been gassed is when i have had some dodgy beer and curry and then fell asleep with me arse open :Rofl1:
    2 people like this.
  18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

We don't get bogus police cars trying to flag us down over here. And over there there are seriously rich pickings to be had, not only Brits but rich Germans and some Dutch. That is why there is more risk over there.

But as you say, don't panic, use your head. Use Jim's Security Handbook.
    1 person likes this.
  19. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Travel advice

This is the current CC advice to members, which is what I qouted. I don't think it's new: http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planni...ssentials/general-advice/safety-and-security/
    2 people like this.
  20. Stephen & Jeannie

Informative and good advice to boot ! Thanks for that !:thumb: