1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Tour of Scotland, with dog

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Billy23, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

We (Bill and Judy and Beth our dog) are planning to drive from Spain to the UK in the middle of July for about 6 weeks, give or take, work our way up from Portsmouth and tour Scotland for about 3 weeks. Although we have been to Scotland a few times, we have never “Done it” in a MH, I just wondered if any fun people had some ideas as to what to miss and more important what to make sure that we visit.

Thanks for any help.:thumb:
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

I'm a lover of the east because I've been there so often.

Scone Palace, Perth. Scotland begins here.
    Up the A9, got to be the prettiest road in UK.
    Queen's View on the A9
    Pitlochry
    Aviemore and Cairngorms
    Grantown on Spey -- this is Whisky Trail area.
    Elgin area, dolphin watch.
    Aberdeen, The Granite City
    Along Deeside, not sure if can visit Balmoral in summer.
    Breamar.
    Over Glen Shee.

I'll let someone direct you across to the west from there.

Scotland isn't about big Must See, it's thousands of delightful sights strung together.

PS....
    Warning, campers far outnumber campsites. It is very popular in summer.
    1 person likes this.
  3. camocam1

camocam1 Funster

can I ask how far up scotland you are planning on going John o Groats ???
    or just to perthshire / Aviemore ??
  4. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Funster

I would recommend you narrowing this down a bit as what is one persons must see is another persons avoid at all costs! What do you want to see and do? Landscape, if so looking at, strolling in or serious walking? Cities, Festivals large and small, what kind of music, theatre etc.We have been here for 25 years and know a lot about whats going on but it would take an age to tell you everything.If you want some advice send a PM with an idea of what you're looking for and we may be able to help.
    We are off to the Funsters pre xmas meet at Chester tommorrow so will not be able to get back to you til next week.
    Cheers.
    :thumb:
  5. laneside

laneside Funster

Hey just a thought make sure your dog is allowed into Blighty, that is with micro chip and passport
  6. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Johnstey and camocam1
    I knew I would forget something, it an age thing. Time in Scotland about 3 or 4 weeks, how far up? Well don't HAVE to go as far as Inverness but if we should then we could.

Interests: Countryside, interesting towns -for instance we love Oban- not serious walking, Music, well we aint young but most music except bagpipes.
    Johnstey, I will PM you, thanks.
  7. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Thanks for the reminder but yes I have that under control:thumb:
  8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Funster

Highlands and Islands !!

For me, Scotland is North of Inverness !!!:Cool::Cool::Cool:
  9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have a Scottish (by descent) friend who plays the bagpipes, and I can assure you it needs as much training and skill as playing a musical instrument.
  10. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Bagpipes was a bit tongue in cheek.:Smile:
  11. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

So tell me why Stephen and if it that good I can go, I am retired I can stay as long as I like, never done Scotland in a MH, don't know north of Inverness, why should I go??????

And you seem to be the bloke to tell me whats up North.
  12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

I've never been but a couple of years ago when I was working in Elgin daughter said don't bother going to John O'Groats, not a lot to see. She's cycled up there a couple of times. So seeing as how far it is I didn't bother.

However I'm tempted to bike it up there next year, just to complete the top to bottom of the UK.
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

There is a time and place. That place was Aboyne airfield in January. It was too cold to fly, the canopies just misted up, we were stood around waiting then in the distance the sound of the bagpipes drifted across Dee. It was mind blowing. It was a Sunday morning, why he was playing I do not know but it's one of those moments that last forever.
    1 person likes this.
  14. JohnM

JohnM Funster

Hi Billy23' I would suggest central Scotland for a couple of days,Scotlands biggest tourist atraction the Falkirk wheel the only one like it in the world' Stirling castle, the wallace monument,the battle of Banockburn visitor centre,all of these visitor attractions are within a few miles of each other and 30miles from Edinburgh.:thumb:
  15. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Funster

I will be going there straight from France in June !!

I see you are in Espanya ! Think Picos Mountains but not so High ! And the ocean by the side ! My favourite spots are The Applecross Peninsula, Shieldaig and the Outer Hebrides ! The joy is that the Scots are more motorhome friendly and wild camping is not frowned on so much !! However, there is a midge problem when you will be there !:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
    1 person likes this.
  16. camocam1

camocam1 Funster

As I live in Elgin which is 45 miles from Inverness I have to sort of agree that the highlands are Scotland BUT Perthsire is very nice, but you can't beat the west coast and Skye, I personaly would not go to John 0h groats as nothing there but Dornoch is worth a visit. Only had MH since July so not sure how far you can travel in a day comfortably as we just go away locally.
    these miles are approximates

Carlise to Glasgow 125miles
    Glasgow to Inverness 180 miles
    Glagow to Skye 220 miles

I would head up the west coast via oban, over to skye then cut over country to Dornoch,(nice site next to the beach within walking distance to the town/ do not go to Grannies Heilen Hame !!!) back down to Inverness, across to the moray coast then over by Aberlour / grantown to Aviemore for a few days and then down the A9 to perthsire for a few days, Falkirk wheel I agree is a must, Edinburgh a must, Glasgow ???

Hope this helps

Ron
    1 person likes this.
  17. camocam1

camocam1 Funster

Brian

where you working in Elgin ???

Ron
  18. truffs

truffs Funster

word of warning summer months for your dog becareful of ticks.....but enjoy we go every summer
  19. camocam1

camocam1 Funster

cant get the link to work but if you type the following in it should (hopefully) come up with a route which will give you good coverage of scotland, like I said earlier go to Dornoch (not on the tour)

www.aboutscotland.com/tour/tourmap.html

Ron
  20. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Funster

As suggested, there is some stunning landscape 'north of Inverness,' but you'll see plenty on the way too. One or two have suggested avoiding John o' Groats, and I would agree, not a great deal to see, the eastern approaches are pretty bleak in comparison to the west. If you get as far as north of Inverness, veer west and plot a route up the central spine towards Tongue, Durness* etc. Once there, there's only one way home, and that's south!! Navigate your way down via the west coast: Torridon, Isle of Skye is a must - providing it's not raining, otherwise, you may never be tempted back! (Around 70 miles long x 25 miles, nowhere further than 5 miles from the sea, and yet, 800 miles of coastline!!) You say you like Oban, but have you been across to Mull? Very similar in nature to Skye, but it does involve a ferry, and you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to a scenic wild camp. If you're keen on wildlife, there's no better spot in the UK for eagles (golden & white-tailed) and otters of course. I could go on .... but enough for now....apart from one final tip: Described by Iain Banks as one of UK's most stunning roads in his book "Raw Spirit" (a tour of the distilleries in his BMW M3) and that's the road that runs between Braemar and Grantown on Spey via Tomintoul. :thumb:

* Durness: Immortalised in John Lennon's composition "There are places I remember all my life ...etc...."
    1 person likes this.