1. Untitled Document

Timberland Motorhomes Going Bust!

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by weejocky, Jun 9, 2010.

1. weejocky

weejocky Funster

I heard a rumour at The Stratford show that Timberland Motorhomes were about to be placed in the hands of the receivers. Anyone know if this is true, or is it just one of those rumours put out by competitors.

Mind you, every time I passed them at Newbury their stand looked empty compared to others, so maybe its true. Anyone heard anything?
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader Staff Member

On reading this post, I just searched for "Timberland" on this site and found a Spam post made last week whilst I was away at Stratford, somehow I missed it. :Doh: The Spam was telling us all about a new timberland website. :RollEyes: So I doubt that they would be launching a new website if they were going bust, so this is probably just another of those rumours that competitors spread.
    I am sure they are still in the motorhome business and they are definitely in the :spam: business:Doh:
  3. Shell181

Shell181

Hi

Yes we have heard the same rumour as well but don't know if its true or not..........

Shell
  4. AdgeRas

AdgeRas

After reading this thread, I decided to visit their webpage and found this text on their frontpage:

So it would seem that the rumours are just rumours :Smile:

Rasmus
  5. Frankia

Frankia

6. craiggs

craiggs

they have closed grimsby and one other i would say there on there way and a good job there service was bad
  7. weejocky

weejocky Funster

Their website boasts a new purpose built factory is that the property that is now closed?
  8. craiggs

craiggs

they had 3 round here and the one on the A1 now they only have 2 i belive
  9. weejocky

weejocky Funster

Seems like the rumours were true, the word on the web is that the bank pulled the overdraft. On another forum a supplier claims he was stiffed by them and will lose thousands. Sign of the times I suppose. Only the fittest manufacturers/suppliers are going to survive this one:Sad:
  10. olley

olley Funster

Kevin Cain the owner has posted on another site that he's pulled the plug on Timberland, and bought the assets of the receiver, a Phoenix company. He claims this was forced on him by the bank, and by his actions he has safe guarded the jobs of his existing employees as he intends to continue trading.

He also says that all existing Timberland warranties will be honoured. Pity about his suppliers, but that's one of the hazards of business.

Olley
  11. weejocky

weejocky Funster

I think I saw the same statement then. Phoenix companies are a great way to get out of paying your bills and then carrying on as nothing has happened. :Angry: Years ago I supplied goods to a printing company, they never paid the invoice, when it was chased up they said it was not owed by them but by the bankrupt company:RollEyes::RollEyes:

It was the same people, sat on the same chairs the only thing that had changed was that they had a healthier balance sheet and people like me were stuffed, 6 months later they had the nerve to place an order with me:Doh:

Phoenix companies should be illegal
    , if you go bust the old directors should not be able to run the new company with the same or similar names, even with honest intentions it smacks of cheating to the suppliers that lose out. Though in my experience its a vehicle used by dishonest people to get out of paying their debts.
  12. olley

olley Funster

I think one of the other posts put it very succinctly,
    if I lend you ten pounds I still expect you to pay me, even if you changed your name by deed poll.

Olley
  13. weejocky

weejocky Funster

As a supplier, you are a lender, you are giving 30 or 60 days credit, only then to be smacked in the mouth and literally stolen from; Its business I suppose, but it does leave a sour taste. In troubled times Phoenix companies probably wont have problems finding other suppliers, but if those suppliers have any sense they won't extend them a line of credit:Eeek: I certainly would not risk supplying or buying from a phoenix company - Caveat emptor Buyers beware
  14. reeventu

reeventu Read Only Funster

The only way IMO is to boycott the new company if you are a supplier. Forget the ' I will be able to pay you a bit extra if you will deal with me' etc.

From a customer point of view there is little you can do BUT do not consider buying from them if your feelings are strong enough.
  15. weejocky

weejocky Funster

I would not buy from a phoenix company on principal (because of my past experiences) This outfit says it is honouring warranties and guarantees from their pre-bankrupt business. that is better than some, that said they would be bankrupt again if they lost all existing customers and the little credibility (if any) they have managed to come through this with.

Also I don't buy the "we were perfect it was the banks fault" if that were the truth there would be no dealers anywhere.
  16. BobT

BobT Trader - Tour Operator

Timberland

I can confirm that Timberland did go into Administration but that there was a management buy out and they are now trading as before under the name of Woodland Motorhomes trading as Timberland Motorhomes. Apparently the staff are the same so there should be no changes for their customers.

BobT
  17. haganap

haganap Funster

Thanks for that confirmation. I was wondering what was going on. I have not bought from Timberland but have had a look around there vans, They are exceptional in my view and the staff always seem really helpful and interested.
  18. weejocky

weejocky Funster

That's as I understand it. Customers have promises that they will be looked after by the phoenix company and all their suppliers will have to swallow:Angry: I bet the new company find money to pay some of the old bills, ones they will want to keep sweet, like the show organisers, most others will get stiffed as they always do when administrators take over, meanwhile they carry on business as usual:Doh:
  19. TomTee

TomTee Guest

I'm with Weejocky here and I speak as a businessman myself. I love the comment by one bloke where he says that it's a pity about the suppliers, but that's one of the hazard of business! I hope that he is never defrauded of enough money to make him lose his house, through no fault of his own.

Hiding behind the Limited Liability laws to cheat your suppliers, whilst you carry on as usual in your new company is unprincipled and disgraceful and it shouldn't be one of the hazards of business!

A friend of mine who's a builder, lost his company and his home when his firm collapsed when a property developer, with whom he'd done business for three or four years, suddenly went into administration, owing him tens of thousands.

Needless to say, the property developer started again the next day and is still running around in his expensive car.

I'm speaking in general terms here as I have no idea of the Timberland administration but if it's true what's been said, that suppliers have not been paid, then Timberland will be off my list the next time I want a new 'van.
  20. ips

ips

Tom tee
    As a bussinesman also I totally agree with the above. We have been "done" many times with companys going into reciervership wipeing all debts only to continue trading with the wife or some other mug as "director". It is a ridiculous legal way to rid yourself of debts and its about time one of our muppets I meen members of parliament put a stop too it.