May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I took a punt on a beach buggy, bought blind on ebay 🙄

I've had it running although it does have a few issues. Most recently the starter motor doesn't seem to be turning over properly.

Before I go removing it can anyone tell me if it possible to test it? Would I need to send it away somewhere or is there a way of knowing if it's goosed or not? I think I have found a replacement but it's over ÂŁ60 so would rather get this one going again if possible.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Wasn't a Sunday evening purchase after a bottle of Shiraz was it ?
Had a few of those moments myself o_O :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, I can't help with the starter motor
Hope you get it sorted

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hard to test without removing if it's 'old school' (Beach Buggy can be any engine but, presumably, VW, if so, only a couple of bolts and lecky contacts) Check earth, battery and spray contacts before removal.

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
There's ways of checking it with a multi tester take a look on you tube.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
is it inertia or pre engaged ?you say you've had the engine running so what's the actual problem ?
photo of the starter if your not sure

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if it is off,rest it on the negative terminal .Hold it tightly & put a live wire from positive terminal on to the solenoid terminal.
If still mounted put a jump lead from battery neg to body starter & the same with the positive cable on to the solenoiid. Make sure it is in neutral first whilst doing it.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Wasn't a Sunday evening purchase after a bottle of Shiraz was it ?
Had a few of those moments myself o_O :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, I can't help with the starter motor
Hope you get it sorted
Kind of. I'd bought a smaller version from local auction before. That ran fine and was great fun but was impossible to get it road legal. I want something road legal to tow behind the MH.

This one popped up on ebay road legal so i put a bid in and won it. The guy said all it needed was a new relay for the indicators but the wiring is a bit of a mess. I'm planning putting it to a garage for the rest of the electrics but want to make sure this starter is working first.
is it inertia or pre engaged ?you say you've had the engine running so what's the actual problem ?
photo of the starter if your not sure
I don't know what inertia or pre engaged is. Before, it turned over and you could hear the starter cranking. It would crank for a bit then start but now it just wheezes like the starter isn't working properly.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
if it is off,rest it on the negative terminal .Hold it tightly & put a live wire from positive terminal on to the solenoid terminal.
If still mounted put a jump lead from battery neg to body starter & the same with the positive cable on to the solenoiid. Make sure it is in neutral first whilst doing it.
It is still on at the moment but it looks like there is space to get it off easily enough. No neutral on this thing just a forward and reverse gear.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Kind of. I'd bought a smaller version from local auction before. That ran fine and was great fun but was impossible to get it road legal. I want something road legal to tow behind the MH.

This one popped up on ebay road legal so i put a bid in and won it. The guy said all it needed was a new relay for the indicators but the wiring is a bit of a mess. I'm planning putting it to a garage for the rest of the electrics but want to make sure this starter is working first.

I don't know what inertia or pre engaged is. Before, it turned over and you could hear the starter cranking. It would crank for a bit then start but now it just wheezes like the starter isn't working properly.

As per post above, a few taps with a hammer usually frees it off so that it engages.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So how do you stop at junctions etc...... Or is it a full automatic?
If there's no neutral how do you plan on towing it?
If it's not auto it's not going to be fast with just one gear.
Automatic C.V.T system, whatever that is 🤷‍♂️ Operation is just lever forward for go and pull back for reverse.

I'm looking for a trailer for it. A few have actually popped up on the classifieds here but all been way down south.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Automatic C.V.T system, whatever that is 🤷‍♂️ Operation is just lever forward for go and pull back for reverse.

I'm looking for a trailer for it. A few have actually popped up on the classifieds here but all been way down south.
Belt transmission.....same thing as DAF variomatic.
1 pulley on gearbox and 1 on rear axle.
As you speed up the gearbox pulley closes up making it bigger circumference while the axle pulley opens making it a smaller circumference.
Think of a 5 speed pushbike.
As you change up gears the chain moves to smaller sprockets on the rear hub.
Certainly couldn't be towed on an A frame

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Before, it turned over and you could hear the starter cranking. It would crank for a bit then start but now it just wheezes like the starter isn't working properly.

What’s the battery condition like? Is it fully charged and holding it?

As others have indicated, if it’s a CVT then you’ll probably have to trailer it.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
What’s the battery condition like? Is it fully charged and holding it?

As others have indicated, if it’s a CVT then you’ll probably have to trailer it.
Yeah new battery and it's been sitting there a good few months ago doing nothing. Still holding a decent charge.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it's an old school starter it may be the Bendix (the bit which engages with the flywheel) which is sticking.
Easy fix but the only way is with starter removed.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Could it be that the belt-drive transmission is not dis-engaging fully and putting a drag on the starting motor?

What make of engine has it?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Update on this. Had the starter off and tested, all working fine even under a bit of load. Wheel that the starter shaft turns seems to be in working order and engaging but it still isn't turning over.

My mechanical knowledge was iffy before so I definitely have no idea what happens after the flywheel.

Any suggestions?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Update on this. Had the starter off and tested, all working fine even under a bit of load. Wheel that the starter shaft turns seems to be in working order and engaging but it still isn't turning over.

My mechanical knowledge was iffy before so I definitely have no idea what happens after the flywheel.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like if your starter is fine and engages the flywheel but the engine won’t turn you have a more fundamental issue.

Can you try and turn the motor by hand. There will likely be a pulley directly attached to the crank. Socket on that and try and do a full revolution of the engine. Much easier to do with plugs out…

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Sounds like if your starter is fine and engages the flywheel but the engine won’t turn you have a more fundamental issue.

Can you try and turn the motor by hand. There will likely be a pulley directly attached to the crank. Socket on that and try and do a full revolution of the engine. Much easier to do with plugs out…

Despite me asking over a week ago, the OP STILL has not told us what engine it has or any other details, as far as I am concerned, my crystal ball has gone cloudy!

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Despite me asking over a week ago, the OP STILL has not told us what engine it has or any other details, as far as I am concerned, my crystal ball has gone cloudy!
I don't know who made the engine but this is part of the spec sheet that I got with it....

16533899881854755099676502708992.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back