Tap and Die. What size handle do I need for a 1¼" BSP tap. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just use an adjustable spanner,i,ve been a pipefitter for over 50yrs and on the rare occasion where a tap is reqd that's all i've used, just make sure you keep it square to the hole and use plenty of oil
likewise.. (y)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
ok. I have a plan.

I am going to buy a 1" to 1/2" adapter.
1714143609625.png

And a small drill press thingy. not really a drill press but.
1714143517942.png

The plan would be to clamp this to the sheet. Lower the head so the tap is in contact with the hole. Then use a ratchet on the top to slowly drive it in. Obviously reversing to clear swarf as per normal tapping.
This will allow me to keep it straight/parallel/90° to the material while applying a reasonable amount of pressure and turning.

I was thinking about a drill press but for some of the holes that are more central to a sheet I wouldn't be able to get it under the drill enough.

I will probably screw this to a sheet of MDF to allow me to clamp at the edges.

Just an initial thought/plan. Might not work but worth a go.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Possibly won't even need to clamp it down.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well that plan failed at the first hurdle. The tap didn't fit into the adapter and the stand I ended up ordering had a round drive rather than the hex one in the image. So they got returned today.
I decided to do some measuring of my existing handles and extrapolate to what size I would need.
While then searching for M32-M42 handles (I still wasn't sure) I found these on Ebay.

So. 1½" tap handle ordered. Should easily handle my 1¼" tap :D

Another £54 into this project.

Reactions: DBK

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well that plan failed at the first hurdle. The tap didn't fit into the adapter and the stand I ended up ordering had a round drive rather than the hex one in the image. So they got returned today.
I decided to do some measuring of my existing handles and extrapolate to what size I would need.
While then searching for M32-M42 handles (I still wasn't sure) I found these on Ebay.

So. 1½" tap handle ordered. Should easily handle my 1¼" tap :D

Another £54 into this project.

Have you not got a spanner that fits the tap.

You could have made a tap spanner from a piece of ply 😉😊

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have you not got a spanner that fits the tap.

You could have made a tap spanner from a piece of ply 😉😊
A spanner would not do the job. I need to be able to hold it square and level.

I am not half arsing this. I want to be able to do an excellent job and probably doing LOTS of these each year. Worth the investment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
A spanner would not do the job. I need to be able to hold it square and level.

I am not half arsing this. I want to be able to do an excellent job and probably doing LOTS of these each year. Worth the investment.
Machine up an adaptor for it to fit your pillar drill and run it in by hand or using a chain strap around the chuck? That'd also help you keep it vertically true as with a big handle the bars are longer so more leverage to get out of true.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Get yourself a short piece of round bar machined up with a 42mm hole in it and use that to guide the tap squarely into the job.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Machine up an adaptor for it to fit your pillar drill and run it in by hand or using a chain strap around the chuck? That'd also help you keep it vertically true as with a big handle the bars are longer so more leverage to get out of true.
Can't use a pillar drill as the sheets of plastic may be too big to fit under one. Needs a universal solution.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have the handle ordered and I have designed a jig which might possibly work. Will be an interesting engineering project :)
Can't wait for next week when the plastic sheets arrive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back