1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Swift 590RS Lights and Wipers not working.

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by DarrenGuest, Mar 10, 2013.

1. DarrenGuest

DarrenGuest

I own a 2008 Swift 590RS which is based on the Fiat Ducato Chassis. I have a problem with the lights and wipers which I think may be related. For a while I have had a problem where the wipers have intermittently stopped working. This has got worse and worse and they are now not working at all. I also have a problem with the dipped beam lights where they turn themselves off. The side lights work fine but as soon as I switch on the dipped beam they only stay on for a few seconds. You can hear the relay under the dash click as they switch off.

After doing some investigation I have discovered the following :

1)With the engine off the dipped beam lights seem to stay on with no problem.
    2)With the engine running they switch off after a few seconds.
    3)If I switch on the hazards I can hear a relay behind the drivers seat clicking on and off continuously. When this happens all the lights flicker slightly. After investigating the fuse panel behind the seat it is the main fuse box for motorhome.

I have run out of ideas now and was wondering if anybody else had experienced a similar problem or could recommend someone to investigate if for me in the Surrey area?

Many thanks
  2. Larby

Larby Funster

Hi, I'm surprised no one has come up with suggestions by now.
    All I can suggest is check ALL the fuses. Also funny things can occur if there ia a bad earth (negative).
    This reply will help you go to top and someone with a better idea may see it.

Good luck

Peter
  3. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

I reckon it could be the earth strap to the steering column somewhere
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

i'll go with Duane....poor common earth somewhere........battery to chassis most likely.
    remove earth strap and clean contact surfaces then smear with petroleum jelly and refit.

side lights, no problem as little current draw....dip headlights or wipers draw more current so poor earth cant cope with extra load and fails
  5. jhorsf

jhorsf Funster

With it being the wipers that is where the water tends to drain from the scuttle check any plugs around the scuttle for water damage/corrosion