Sprinter 616 fully auto transmission oil? (1 Viewer)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Hi I have left the servicing of my MB Sprinter based van to the local bus company garage. A personal friend and good workforce, it is due to go in for its MOT and annual service next month.

I’ve had it for 7 years now and have noticed that the autochanging is not as smooth as it first was, particularly when cold changing down. After a conversation with an MB enthusiast, (on a ferry so no contact) I think I might have the wrong transmission oil in the gear box. He said that MBs were particularly fussy and different model to model.

I’ve just looked on line so I could recommend a particular oil to the garage but it seems to be a minefield with several possibilities.

It’s a 616 cdi 5T Sprinter with a fully auto box (not sprintshift) 2004, anyone got one? Or even a handbook in English they could look it up for me please?

Dick

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I would bite the bullet and ring/go to a Merc commercial dealer/service and get the oil from them. It will cost a fortune, but cheaper than a new gearbox.
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Mine has the same engine and gearbox (OM612 engine and 5-speed torque converter auto box).
The transmission fluid should be changed every 120,000 km. Every 10 years or 300,000 km the box should have a service inspection and fluid change. I would go to a Merc commercial dealer rather than trusting another workshop. I have all my servicing done by a private HGV garage but for the transmission I go to a Merc dealer. The full service may cost a couple of hundred quid but if you just need a fluid change it will probably be half that. Not something to scrimp on in my view as a new gearbox is very expensive.

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Ah, good to see some fellow 616 owners on here !

I changed my transmission fluid last year - you need MB 236.14 approved fluid. I used Titan ATF 4134.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuchs-Tit...-Transmission-Fluid-4-Litres-4L-/181622034900

It's an easy job to do yourself and I would recommend also removing the sump at the same time (also easy) so you can clean it out, check for debris or metal particles and replace the filter. The filter and sump seal are readily available and you can even buy a kit with everything, including the oil.

Very satisfying to know it is all sparkling clean and fresh in there !

I've tackled most jobs myself after being let down by some workshops. So far the rear brake pads (with air handbrake) have been the toughest - an absolute pig of a job ! The pads were only half worn so passed the MoT no problem but I had noticed they were partly deteriorated and crumbling due to long periods of inactivity ......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back