1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Snow on m/h roof

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Janine, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Janine

Janine Funster

We all know that having snow on the roof of your car can result in 6 points and a hefty fine, don't we?

Rightly so - it could slide onto your windscreen and obscure your vision.

What about snow on the motorhome roof though? With the luton top, there is no way it could make it's way to my windscreen.

I suppose it could slide off the back and be a hazard for a following vehicle.

Do I need to get the ladders out and clear it before we set off for Chester on Thursday?
  2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

You should clean the snow off.

However, lorry drivers don't they aren't allowed up there to do it!

'Elf and safety, you know!

I'll remember that when a slab of ice crashes through my windscreen!:Angry:
    1 person likes this.
  3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I've just cleared the snow (10") off the back of my van roof.

No, not because I'm considerate .......cos my solar panels were covered:Cool:
    4 people like this.
  4. buttons

buttons Funster

Most Definitely.......:Smile:
    1 person likes this.
  5. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Funster

Not me, never heard of that one:Doh: ! Urban myth perhaps ! Confirmation required on that one !:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Highlight not working for me !!! Durrrrr !!
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Funster

The firm has released the warning following research that showed 20% of motorists – 6 million drivers – don’t remove snow from their cars before driving off.

They clear the front and rear windows, it seems, but not the rest of the car. It is snow on the roof of the vehicle, usually forgotten about, that can cause the biggest dangers.

This includes snow falling backwards onto the road – or cars – behind or, more seriously, falling onto the windscreen during braking.

As the interior of the car warms up, the layer of snow next to the car melts, causing the entire build-up of snow on the roof of the car to become loose. If it has been there several days, it may have frozen near the bottom too, meaning it will move as a solid mass.

If it releases as you brake, this can completely obscure the windscreen. If it releases on the move, it can mean cars behind risk significant damage from a heavy moving mass. Halfords estimates a four-inch build-up of snow on a car roof weighs 35kg.

Police have the power to fine motorists under rule 229 of the Highway Code, which states that all windows, lights, number plates and mirrors are clear, and that all snow that could fall into the path of other road users is clear.

Halfords winter motoring expert Alan Rennie said: “Driving with snow on your car roof could land you with a £60 fine and three points on your licence.

“It could be even worse if you are involved in an accident because of snow falling off your car – if police chose to prosecute for careless or inconsiderate driving.

“Our research should give all drivers that extra incentive to remove the snow from most parts of their car, not just the windows, before they set off. It’s very simple to use a snow brush and clear the roof.”

There’s a fuel saving too – 35kg on the roof of the car is said to reduce fuel efficiency, already down due to the cold weather, by a further 2%…

Be careful going up ladders in the snow though,make sure someone foots the bottom and dont cover them in snow.:Smile:
    1 person likes this.
  7. Larby

Larby Funster

3 people like this.
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I reckon this is a judgement call. I used to clear the back half of my van which was easy to get to. I couldn't easily do the front half so left it. The solar panels, roof vents etc would stop any snow at the front sliding back en mass.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sedge

sedge

I love the way the say 'it's easy using a snowbrush ....'

I can hardly reach the middle of my windscreen unless I virtually lie across the bonnet, and no way can I reach the middle of the roof.

I spose I ought to buy one of these here brushes, oughtn't I? Be sure to guarantee no more snow on my car till after I die ....
    1 person likes this.
  10. Philiphall

Philiphall Funster

Don't bother with ladders and brushes etc.. Turn on the gas heating for thirty minutes and the snow should slide off the roof if you move the van forward
    1 person likes this.
  11. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

My Grandad always said it's not about whether there's snow on the roof, what matters is whether there's still fire in the grate.

Maybe he was talking about something else though, I was very young at the time.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    4 people like this.
  12. busby

busby Funster

Very dangerous for pedestrians when or if it slides off sideways when turning a corner or negotiating a bend.
    1 person likes this.
  13. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Just a thought. How about using a water hose then salt the driveway afterwards.
    1 person likes this.
  14. jhorsf

jhorsf Funster

images.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

if you dont clear ALL the snow YOU can be prosecuted....regardless of what you drive

If you drive with a lot of snow on the roof of your car it can result in a following driver finding himself in a 'snow storm' from the snow blowing off your roof. "Driving a vehicle on a public road without consideration for other road users" is an offence under Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988:
    http://www.cps.gov.uk...s_of_bad_driving/#a16
    1 person likes this.
  16. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Will I be okay with snow chains on the roof? :thumb: