LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We all know that having snow on the roof of your car can result in 6 points and a hefty fine, don't we?

Rightly so - it could slide onto your windscreen and obscure your vision.

What about snow on the motorhome roof though? With the luton top, there is no way it could make it's way to my windscreen.

I suppose it could slide off the back and be a hazard for a following vehicle.

Do I need to get the ladders out and clear it before we set off for Chester on Thursday?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You should clean the snow off.

However, lorry drivers don't they aren't allowed up there to do it!

'Elf and safety, you know!

I'll remember that when a slab of ice crashes through my windscreen!:Angry:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've just cleared the snow (10") off the back of my van roof.

No, not because I'm considerate .......cos my solar panels were covered:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We all know that having snow on the roof of your car can result in 6 points and a hefty fine, don't we?

What about snow on the motorhome roof though? With the luton top, there is no way it could make it's way to my windscreen.

[HI]Do I need to get the ladders out and clear it[/HI] before we set off for Chester on Thursday?
Most Definitely.......:Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Janine;745867[HI said:
]We all know that having snow on the roof of your car can result in 6 points and a hefty fine, don't we?[/HI]

Do I need to get the ladders out and clear it before we set off for Chester on Thursday?

Not me, never heard of that one:Doh: ! Urban myth perhaps ! Confirmation required on that one !:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Highlight not working for me !!! Durrrrr !!

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
The firm has released the warning following research that showed 20% of motorists – 6 million drivers – don’t remove snow from their cars before driving off.

They clear the front and rear windows, it seems, but not the rest of the car. It is snow on the roof of the vehicle, usually forgotten about, that can cause the biggest dangers.

This includes snow falling backwards onto the road – or cars – behind or, more seriously, falling onto the windscreen during braking.

As the interior of the car warms up, the layer of snow next to the car melts, causing the entire build-up of snow on the roof of the car to become loose. If it has been there several days, it may have frozen near the bottom too, meaning it will move as a solid mass.

If it releases as you brake, this can completely obscure the windscreen. If it releases on the move, it can mean cars behind risk significant damage from a heavy moving mass. Halfords estimates a four-inch build-up of snow on a car roof weighs 35kg.

Police have the power to fine motorists under rule 229 of the Highway Code, which states that all windows, lights, number plates and mirrors are clear, and that all snow that could fall into the path of other road users is clear.

Halfords winter motoring expert Alan Rennie said: “Driving with snow on your car roof could land you with a £60 fine and three points on your licence.

“It could be even worse if you are involved in an accident because of snow falling off your car – if police chose to prosecute for careless or inconsiderate driving.

“Our research should give all drivers that extra incentive to remove the snow from most parts of their car, not just the windows, before they set off. It’s very simple to use a snow brush and clear the roof.”

There’s a fuel saving too – 35kg on the roof of the car is said to reduce fuel efficiency, already down due to the cold weather, by a further 2%…

Be careful going up ladders in the snow though,make sure someone foots the bottom and dont cover them in snow.:Smile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

[HI]Do I need to get the ladders out and clear it before we set off for Chester on Thursday?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

No need, the strong sunshine will melt it for you!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I reckon this is a judgement call. I used to clear the back half of my van which was easy to get to. I couldn't easily do the front half so left it. The solar panels, roof vents etc would stop any snow at the front sliding back en mass.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I love the way the say 'it's easy using a snowbrush ....'

I can hardly reach the middle of my windscreen unless I virtually lie across the bonnet, and no way can I reach the middle of the roof.

I spose I ought to buy one of these here brushes, oughtn't I? Be sure to guarantee no more snow on my car till after I die ....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Grandad always said it's not about whether there's snow on the roof, what matters is whether there's still fire in the grate.

Maybe he was talking about something else though, I was very young at the time.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Very dangerous for pedestrians when or if it slides off sideways when turning a corner or negotiating a bend.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you dont clear ALL the snow YOU can be prosecuted....regardless of what you drive

If you drive with a lot of snow on the roof of your car it can result in a following driver finding himself in a 'snow storm' from the snow blowing off your roof. "Driving a vehicle on a public road without consideration for other road users" is an offence under Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988:
http://www.cps.gov.uk...s_of_bad_driving/#a16

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back