Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Maglight

IF necessary I have a large Maglight secured by the hab door.
If somone knocks or tries to enter etc I will place it on my shoulder to dazzle them and then and only when necessary it can be used in self defence etc.
Base ball bats, clubs, stun grenades, etc etc are classed as weapons (So my Police Traffic Officer son says!!!!)
I do carry something else (Not saying what and why tho)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I say chaps... I love it when you (mostly) boys talk tough.

Have any of you actually had cause to use these vicious sounding weapons? (NO YOSSER, I don't mean that one...)

JJ:Cool:

thats exactly my point JJ... its one thing having a dedicated "weapon" its quite another being in a mind to be able to use it...

many of us on here are ex forces of one type or another and have at some time or other had to use Violence... sorry i mean self defense!!!

but its not my preferred option. that is try not to put yourself in that position.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got a Nintendo numchuck.

And I ain't scared to use it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I say chaps... I love it when you (mostly) boys talk tough.

Have any of you actually had cause to use these vicious sounding weapons? (NO YOSSER, I don't mean that one...)

JJ:Cool:

Never considered having a weapon, do have an internal alarm (never bothered to use it). I just take 'normal' precautions, lock the van, answer any 'knocks' on the van through a partly open cab window, always have the keys handy for a quick getaway - just be aware of your surroundings.

I drove a taxi for a couple of years - never heard of anyone getting attacked - yes it does happen, but not very often

Would not motorhome if I thought it was dangerous.:thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
thats exactly my point JJ... its one thing having a dedicated "weapon" its quite another being in a mind to be able to use it...

many of us on here are ex forces of one type or another and have at some time or other had to use Violence... sorry i mean self defense!!!

but its not my preferred option. that is try not to put yourself in that position.

Completely agree, if you have been a squaddie then you would have been trained and conditioned for controlled agression, namely bayonet fighting. But not trying to cast dispergions on most of the people on here but if it came down to it you would be cacking yourself if it ever came to it, I count myself in this statement as well, I just might not bolt as quickly (mind you I would probably overtale you:RollEyes:).

A big dog, loud voice or bright torch is generally all you would get away with, even a wheel brace would get you in trouble as under cross examination would you crack and spill your guts.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Never considered having a weapon, do have an internal alarm (never bothered to use it). I just take 'normal' precautions, lock the van, answer any 'knocks' on the van through a partly open cab window, always have the keys handy for a quick getaway - just be aware of your surroundings.

I drove a taxi for a couple of years - never heard of anyone getting attacked - yes it does happen, but not very often

[HI]Would not motorhome if I thought it was dangerous.:thumb:[/HI]

this is where i stand:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Mag light torch

A big torch for me - and a quick excuse "nothing premeditated just was trying to help with your investigation and identify the assailant officer and forgot it was in my hand".

But there are a good few full timers on the forum who also like to "rough it" a bit and can live without all the trappings of a site.

I wonder how many times they have had to require some sort of weapon to deter a would be thief?

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Completely agree, if you have been a squaddie then you would have been trained and conditioned for controlled agression, namely bayonet fighting. But not trying to cast dispergions on most of the people on here but if it came down to it you would be [HI]cacking yourself if it ever came to it, [/HI]I count myself in this statement as well, I just might not bolt as quickly ([HI]mind you I would probably overtale you[/HI]:RollEyes:).

A big dog, loud voice or bright torch is generally all you would get away with, even a wheel brace would get you in trouble as under cross examination would you crack and spill your guts.

Adrenalin is often Brown.:winky:

and yep i'm getting sluggish in my later youth:ROFLMAO:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When I joined this forum, I considered whether I would sleep with a weapon ... then decided ... nah! :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When I was a student a guy pulled a knife on me and demanded my wallet.

I didn't have anything on me but I just whacked him . He was decked out and I phoned the cops because I considered him a danger to others.

The cops pulled me next day and started questioning me. Luckily I knew about self defence as a legal defence so I could recognise the tone of their questioning.

The numpties had found this clown with a broken nose and a knife in his pocket so why they felt the need to try and incriminate me is beyond me.

You need to be careful if you carry anything dodgy and get your story very straight before the police ask you anything.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ive never heard of anyone being attacked in a MH either, except perhaps those that provoked it:Blush:, and I am in the camp of those that are able to defend themselves, but, i,m getting a bit lazy in my old age, and would prefer any possible confrontation ended very quickly::bigsmile:.
I will retract my original post to............."If i needed to use a weapon, i would pick up the maglite that i carry anyway":RollEyes:.

The best defense, is awareness, if you think it "MAY" happen, then you will be in a frame of mind to prevent it, also, not all mh owners head for Peniche or Marjal, some head for eastern europe, and in some areas you would not even park roadside let alone stay there.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would hate to be in the position of doing something.

I don't think I have punched anyone since I last played rugby about 18 years ago.

I don't suppose a boxing game on ps1 counts::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you are asleep and an assailant is in the van almost all weapons are gonna be pretty hopeless, especially as most of us have absolutely ZERO training in close armed combat..:RollEyes:
Most blokes like to think they would be capable but remember, there is a high chance if someone is breaking in to steal from you they are NOT going to be a pushover

Pepper spray ( oft sold as CS gas ) is legal and we all know how to press a button..
More importantly you are not likely to hurt YOURSELF with it ...

An illegal option of a similar vain would be a tazer, but a decent one, safe to use, is not cheap !

I aint exactly a small chap and have been known to get in the odd scrape or two over the years, but you will not find a weapon ( as such** ) in my van.. Hurt begets hurt.. a weapon will beget a weapons use

In a pinch I spose I could use the steering wheel lock I keep behind the seat ..

Its one of these...
Link Removed

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
An intruder in the MH?

Once I'd seen him I'd crap myself and that would be enough!

He would vacate the vicinity post haste, trust me................

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Base ball bats, clubs, stun grenades, etc etc are classed as weapons (So my Police Traffic Officer son says!!!!)

Anything at all can be classed as a weapon, if used as such. Few are weapons per se: a knuckle-duster is just one example. You cannot claim self-defence using a knuckle-duster as possession is illegal. A baseball bat however is certainly NOT a weapon , unless you turn up with it at somebody's door intending to knock seven shades out of them. But when considering (in advance) your case for self-defence should anything untoward happen, it would certainly help your case if you can produce a ball to go with the bat, to support your spurious claim that you just love playing baseball with the kids! :winky: (It's surprising how many baseball bats you find, but rarely, no - never, find a ball!!) But seriously, when it comes to self-defence, you can use anything that falls to hand - anything! You just have to convince the court its use was "reasonable" given the threat with which you were faced.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Anything at all can be classed as a weapon, if used as such. Few are weapons per se: a knuckle-duster is just one example. You cannot claim self-defence using a knuckle-duster as possession is illegal. A baseball bat however is certainly NOT a weapon , unless you turn up with it at somebody's door intending to knock seven shades out of them. But when considering (in advance) your case for self-defence should anything untoward happen, it would certainly help your case if you can produce a ball to go with the bat, to support your spurious claim that you just love playing baseball with the kids! :winky: (It's surprising how many baseball bats you find, but rarely, no - never, find a ball!!) But seriously, when it comes to self-defence, you can use anything that falls to hand - anything! You just have to convince the court its use was "reasonable" given the threat with which you were faced.

Good post:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If anyone wants to get in with our Lilly (German Shorthaired Pointer ) on guard then they had better gas us first :thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I'm sure if even weedy ole me took a swing at someone with my boules bag in my hand, if I landed it, it would hurt. Likewise the gasbottle spanner. a wheelbrace ditto. None too sure about the awning winder, I'd likely hit with the wrong end and it would just fold on the hinge! But being as I'm fairly accurate placing a boule and used to be with a dart ... how aerodynamic d'you reckon a big tin of tomatoes would be? :roflmto:

But if I felt anywhere we went merited having a weapon to hand, or likely to need one - I'd pack up motorhoming. Seriously.

Makes me laugh when customs ask if you are carrying knives. Well yes we do. A great big serrated bread knife, an evilly sharp Sabatier carving knife, sundry other kitchen and cutlery knives which if used as weapons could cause some horrible injuries. A metal skewer or two .... But you could actually put someone's eye out with a plastic tea stirrer couldn't you? Or many of the accessories on Pete's Leatherman. So we say no - other than cutlery or tools.

As someone once commented way back when we were teenagers and someone we vaguely knew had got himself into trouble for having a go - you could knock someone out with a sockful of sand or a pebble. What do you do? ban people from having socks and sand?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I do love these my big weapons bigger than yours.

I don't know what some expect to achieve against a probable high on emotion burglar....

Here's a statistic or two, most injured people in burglaries arm injured by their own weapon. Ie something they tried to use as a weapon only to have it used against them...

I've been to many motorhome meets and some would b better off having a good look in the mirror before taking on a drugged up 20/30 something in the prime of his life. From what I've seen most would collapse in round 1...and your choice of weapon would be used to carve you up.

Through work and in various places, I have been in some many sticky situations over the years,, your best weapon is your mouth and negotiation...engagement and amusement...

When attempted at aggressive mugging in Prague, I didn't panic, I simply told the mugger I don't "Flipping " smoke very loudly, he just simply could not work out what I was talking about and why a give me your wallet request was met with a stupid answer.....
Confused he disappeared....

Anyhow, final thoughts of it ar anything in my van can b replaced, the life of myself and my wife and kid can't

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In this order I'm armed with my brain, mouth and then my legs.

Oh and I can run faster than my wife but slower than my dog:Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I love that reply Paul !

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i sleep stark naked so any would be burglar seeing me half asleep and holding me todger in a pale light would be enough for him or her to go straight :ROFLMAO:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If an intruder got into my MH.......

I would poke the misses in the ribs and say go sort them girl, and hide back under the Duvet...:cry:

One look at her with no "Teeth" and hair curlers..:Eeek:

And thems gone.... :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OMG Paul !!!

This is getting serious mate.. Two posts, yours and mine, are once again pretty much identical..

Sorry, but I have told you before.. I do NOT fancy you and will NOT go on a date with you no matter how much you pretend to agree with me ! :Eeek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
OMG Paul !!!

This is getting serious mate.. Two posts, yours and mine, are once again pretty much identical..

Sorry, but I have told you before.. I do NOT fancy you and will NOT go on a date with you no matter how much you pretend to agree with me ! :Eeek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Me neither, and I dont fancy either of you.

Teddybard

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I think this posts needs a bit of common sense bringing to it especially for any one new to motorhoming, or first timers going abroad or even for ones with nervous partners.

Will people please post if they have had first hand experience of ever being in a situation of needing a weapon.

I suspect it is a very very rare event and I also bet it is where common sense has been left at home.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry Laneside..
I must be on the wrong forum mate... Had no idea FUN had a new moderator, I shall wander off and try to find the Motorhome Fun forum... :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back