sleeping with a weapon (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
doo any of you sleep with a weapon by the bed when sleeping in your van.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I keep a rather exotic looking ebony club handy in the overcab - it's probably an antique so I hope I never have to use it ;-)

I also keep my wheel brace handy in the cab door pocket in case anyone tried anything through the open side window while we were travelling, or if a window needed breaking to escape after an accident.

Overnight I prefer to rely on making the doors more secure with nylon webbing and setting the alarm.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
3 dogs, a baseball bat (behind drivers seat) and a wheel wrench (in drivers door pocket)

A friend of ours who used to transport VERY valuable antique cars around the world kept a handgun in the cab when not in the uk. He left it with a friend in one of the french garages when he came back home. Aparently he forgot once and was panicing he would get caught by british customs inspectors, but just for once got waved through, so never made the mistake again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Joking apart, I used to know a guy who had fitted an outside alarm made from Halfords reversing sensors. He had an LED light fitted above the bed that would blink if anyone came within a yard of his habitation door. He then lit one of those big banger fireworks and tossed it through the window on the other side of his camper. This worked great until one night whilst parked on a secluded beach in Spain when the police came to check on him. He almost got shot by the old bill when guns were drawn as they thought he was shooting at them.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure about keeping a weapon in the van, but our chairs are normally quite safe!:winky:

Attachments

• BILD1425 - Copy.jpg
    BILD1425 - Copy.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 121

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No. Lock the door and that's it. 2 dogs. If Cass barks could be a fox, hedgehog, whatever, outside. If Holly ever barked it would be worth investigating.
Do have a can of mace spray somewhere in the van and would put this in my pocket if I stopped anywhere really isolated and took the dogs out.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
weapon

yes i do sleep with a weapon under the sheets but it only comes out on very special occasions:winky::RollEyes:
brian

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never have but always camp on site and when driving all doors locked. Also carry those really loud alarms and if in doubt set alarm system :Eeek:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
C S gas purchased in Andorra. BUSBY.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
To me prevention is better than cure! :thumb: do everything you can to avoid the need to carry or use a weapon.

After all we get about to enjoy our motorhome and life.

If avoidance is not possible defensive actions will of course be necessary but there is a big difference between a quality alarm and using a " pepper spray " as a incapacitant than actual bodily harm from use of a club, wheel brace .

Not saying i would not if i had too.

I would be motorhoming on my own swmbo would not be happy if i felt the need to sleep with an "alternative " weapon.:Blush:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
A baseball bat without a ball is classed as a weapon :Eeek:
A awning wind out handle nearby is part of the MH kit :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No weapon in mine. I have a back scratch which I could poke eyes with at a push.

I usually park places where I know I should be ok.

However one night I heard some people mumbling and my van got nudged a couple of times.

I opened the side window and shouted BUGGER OFF!!!! at the top of my voice. Turns out it was a couple of young 'ladies' who had got caught short on the way back from the pub. I am guessing they have never pulled their knickers up so quick before and had to get changed so fast when they got home:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have a five cell maglite torch, i have been advised that the item is the safest thing to clobber someone with and then plead self defense, anything else may be regarded as premeditated, ie "yes i sleep with a weapon so i can clobber a theif", however, the recent attitude change on people defending thei property may help here.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I do keep my Fenix Cree torch by the bed, with a range of 700 meters would probably blind someone :Cool:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I have a five cell maglite torch, i have been advised that the item is the safest thing to clobber someone with and then plead self defense, anything else may be regarded as premeditated, ie "yes i sleep with a weapon so i can clobber a theif", however, the recent attitude change on people defending thei property may help here.

Me too, the grip is in the perfect place to allow a quick flip-over while keeping it perfectly balanced. That's what they're designed for though isn't it :winky:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I used to carry a Beretta 92s pistol that fires 6mm plastic BBs..no licence needed you can buy em in any resort in Spain for around 15/20 euros..I say carried I bought mine in 2007 and when we went fulltiming...Dawn..er indoors carefully placed it in the motorhome without me knowing..and when we returned from Spain and debussed from the boat from Calais one time.. she said I'm glad they never searched us as they might have found the gun..I said what gun then she showed me where it was..Oblivious is not the word still no one got into bother..but after that I always kept it close to hand at night!!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I say chaps... I love it when you (mostly) boys talk tough.

Have any of you actually had cause to use these vicious sounding weapons? (NO YOSSER, I don't mean that one...)

JJ:Cool:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
There are many things that can be used as a weapon apart from the obvious!
However be very careful anything you can wield could be taken from and used against you.Most thieves are chancers and if disturbed will flee,if you hear someone outside your van and they hear its occupied they will more than likely move on looking for an empty van or easier target.
If they were after your van or valuables and were bold enough to confront you in your own van,I suggest the best thing to do would be to comply with their demands then report to the authorities.Remember insurance is there for a reason,and your a long time dead !
I am lucky enough to have a dog and when travelling he can give good warning to whats going on outside. I am also of the opinion that if a thief thinks there's a dog around he thinks twice as the dog robs him of the element of surprise.
On a lighter note these things happen a lot less than people would have you think so if you think about where you park and how you leave your van the risk can be reduced.

Regards Vlad.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I say chaps... I love it when you (mostly) boys talk tough.

Have any of you actually had cause to use these vicious sounding weapons? (NO YOSSER, I don't mean that one...)

JJ:Cool:

Nah I would sqeem aaaaaaarrrrgggggghhhhhh:RollEyes:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Sly Dog

Put a very large dog bowl outside your hab door and hang a studded dog collar above it. Saves on Chum!

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I never go to bed with a weapon but I always seem to wake up holding a piece of wood :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back