Single ‘click’ at start-up from hot......Sometimes (1 Viewer)

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Hi all, our current van is a 1995 Swift Kontiki 640 on a Peugeot Boxer 2.5td base and the van has begun to misbehave……. :cry:Just in time for our round the UK tour! The van starts first time every time, it’s a bit spluttery and puffs out a little smoke initially, but after a minute the smoke clears and the van runs great.
I’ve noticed that once the engine has heated up a bit and the ignition is turned off, sometimes at restart I get a single ‘click’ and nothing else. If I turn the ignition off and on again, the van will start immediately. Initially I suspected the starter motor but I’ve taken it out recently and had it bench tested by our local auto electricians and it was ok.
The earth straps from chassis to gearbox and from battery to chassis are ok, and I’ve checked the battery connections/wires and they all look ok. I’ve checked the relays behind the passenger dash and all appear to have nice clean terminals but I’ve not bench tested any of them. I’ve cleaned up the terminals to the glow plugs this afternoon but I got the same problem again today.
During glow plug ‘heating’ I was getting 12.3V at each glow plug terminal and I believe the battery is ok, but only because the van starts from cold every time.
Can anyone suggest a likely cause to the problem before I give up and take it to a garage.
Thanks in advance
Gregg

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sounds like you have a bad earth, or a sticky starter if you are just getting a click on restart. Even will dodgy glowplugs it should have fired.

I would look at ignition barrel connections, and work down to the starter. The starter may have bench tested ok, but in the vehicle may play up with resistence when actually tuirning the engine. I had similar with an old dodge years ago - did my head in! That turned out to be a failing starter than would be fine one minute and not another.

If you have a suitable insulated screwdriver you could try arcing at the starter instead, (don't loose as limb though!) or using a switch set up a remote start direct to the starter. That would tell you if the starter is ok with the resistence in isolation.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Could be dirty contacts in the starter solenoid relay, try a screwdriver across terminals

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
greggzy001

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the pointers guys - I'll begin at the ignition switch and work down. As the fault is intermittent I may have to wait until I break down at some service station in the middle of the night to find the cause......:ROFLMAO:

Gregg

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks for the pointers guys - I'll begin at the ignition switch and work down. As the fault is intermittent I may have to wait until I break down at some service station in the middle of the night to find the cause......:ROFLMAO:

Gregg

Not always - wiggle some wires and see if it starts to click! Usually the solenoid earth is the culprit - but you say that has been cleaned up - make sure it is secure though!

OP
OP
greggzy001

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks again guys, just to close this one off, it turned out to be a dodgy starter solenoid, ordered and fitted a new starter and the problems gone. Uk tour here we come. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back