Singer sewing machine experts (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jill now has two working Vesta machines but that cheap tenner turned into fifty quid

Vesta are quite collectable .. think on them as investments Graham :) .... that's what I tell Jan when I buy another :LOL:

.. Vesta's in good nick don't lose money..

you probably know this site, ... this guy knows his stuff.. Sewalot..

Reactions: GJH
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Short answer .. none.. identical mechanically, using shafts and helical gears, which contribute to it's smooth running, straight stitches and quiet running..
however, I prefer the cast iron model .. the weight gives it more stability when sewing heavyweight fabrics...

Shame you don't live closer , I have an electric Mk2 , cast aluminum 201k in a table looking for a good home.. if you are passing pop in ..
Where are you

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Vesta are quite collectable .. think on them as investments Graham :) .... that's what I tell Jan when I buy another :LOL:

.. Vesta's in good nick don't lose money..

you probably know this site, ... this guy knows his stuff.. Sewalot..
Thanks Jim. I found that site when I was searching for information on the Vesta and Jill was already aware of it.

The machine we originally bought is in very good condition, complete with lid (handle end of key is broken but I fixed that by tapping it and using a wing nut & locking nut) and, having been cleaned up, works fine.

The paintwork is shot on the other machine but it, too, is in good working order.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks Jim. I found that site when I was searching for information on the Vesta and Jill was already aware of it.

The machine we originally bought is in very good condition, complete with lid (handle end of key is broken but I fixed that by tapping it and using a wing nut & locking nut) and, having been cleaned up, works fine.

The paintwork is shot on the other machine but it, too, is in good working order.

If you are going to use the machine then the paintwork doesn't matter that much... if you are a collector then paintwork condition is all. I am not a collector but, as they say now, a sewist. I suppose writing you are a "sewer" doesn't look that good sew-er would be more acceptable.

If you decide you want to sell the machine which has "shot" paintwork then please let me know :)

(My parents live in the town where the monkey went for a swing ;) and Martin has sisters in Stockton and The 'Boro.)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well I've just liked a 2 year old post, not that age matters but it's good to see old threads (threads, get it?) resurrected. I shall have to look in the loft next time we're in the Faroes at M-in-L's old sewing machine, very old and Dad used to bring all sorts back from England on the fishing boats including 3 piece suites so it could well be a Singer.

Edit: Bought a Jones for the wife from Jones Brothers (John Lewis) in Holloway Road in the early 70's hardly used and sits in a bedroom cupboard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Question.
Is it better to buy the 201 with the built in motor or the belt driven one?

my choice for a 'working' machine would be the belt driven one.. if anything goes wrong with it a replacement is easy to find and quite cheap.. and it can also be uprated to a more powerful motor, useful if you plan on sewing heavyweight fabric, canvas , denim etc

The model with the built in motor is quite rare..

If I see any for sale near you I'll give you a PM

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If anyone knows of a good 201, 221 or 222 at a sensible price near West Yorkshire please let me know.

There are plenty on Ebay but none are local that sound good in the description,

If anyone is coming to Leeds from near ScotJimlands area I would pay for them to collect me the machine he has going spare.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim,
Take a look at the blog at the bottom of this ebay listing Broken Link Removed

yes.. my blog .. :)
that is a great machine.. highly sought after by both collectors and sewers.... seldom seen on ebay ..

it should come with a box of plastic cams called Fashion Discs, if you look at the seller's pics, you can see one on the machine, just above the red Singer logo .
They enable it to do all the fancy embroidery stitches (middle box in my pics) also a box of sewing accessories.. as shown below.

Seller doesn't mention or show them, so either missing or still in the loft..worth asking if interested..

EDIT.. I sent a question to the seller asking about them

DSC_7787.JPG

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@jezport

had a reply from the seller.. and sadly he doesn't have the Fashion Discs or accessories. .. I have advised him to point that out in the listing..

Hi Jim thanks for contacting me no they are no further accessories found with the machine, would these accessories be supplied with it or was they purchased separate.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as the discs are only cams I assume copying existing ones would be quite easy. Someone (Jim maybe) must have a set.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
as the discs are only cams I assume copying existing ones would be quite easy. Someone (Jim maybe) must have a set.

indeed.. I have a set .. and I guess anything can be copied.
to give you an idea here is a photo copy , all 26 of them

cams024.jpg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My mother was a home worker in the 50's making children's dresses for KlevaKlads on Ealing Broadway, the Singer electric motor burnt out very quickly and so did its replacement, (She was making up to 200 dresses a week) Dad sourced a different make and that lasted for years.

She used to pay me half a crown to turn the belts inside out, got so I could do it in my sleep. :xgrin:

Ian

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jim,
Take a look at the blog at the bottom of this ebay listing Broken Link Removed
There's a similar one, with the fashion discs, Broken Link Removed. Twenty quid shipping but might come in around £50 all in if you're lucky.

Considering the prices of the only two sets of discs currently on eBay (which will attract customs duty as well) that could be a bargain price.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There's a similar one, with the fashion discs, Broken Link Removed. Twenty quid shipping but might come in around £50 all in if you're lucky.

gee whizz.. like busses.. don't see one for ages then they come two at a time..

looks good Graham.. snap it up and Jill will love you for ever.. :xgrin:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
My mother was a home worker in the 50's making children's dresses for KlevaKlads on Ealing Broadway, the Singer electric motor burnt out very quickly and so did its replacement, (She was making up to 200 dresses a week) Dad sourced a different make and that lasted for years.

She used to pay me half a crown to turn the belts inside out, got so I could do it in my sleep. :xgrin:

Ian
my mother was a machinist as well, reading this thread has realy taken me back to those little sweat shops with several machines a steam press and cutting table all in one basement under a high street shop talking about it has brought back the smell of it
like you i used to turn belts and pocket flaps inside out ,over 40 years mum managed to sew her finger twice

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
my mother was a machinist as well, reading this thread has realy taken me back to those little sweat shops with several machines a steam press and cutting table all in one basement under a high street shop talking about it has brought back the smell of it
like you i used to turn belts and pocket flaps inside out ,over 40 years mum managed to sew her finger twice

I remember mum doing that once, straight through the nail, Painful! I used to wake up for school to the sound of the machine, and go to bed still hearing it. The things our parents did for us, its only now looking back that I can appreciate it.

Ian

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Considering the prices of the only two sets of discs currently on eBay (which will attract customs duty as well) that could be a bargain price.

That's a serious bargain...... get it whilst you can.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are they as well built and reliable as the 201k?

excellent question..in an earlier post I said it was a great machine.. but that needs qualifying..

they are well built, beautifully made in cast aluminum, and can do a lot more than a 201k .. but like most swing arm machines or zig zaggers they cannot match the straight line stitching of a standard Singer .. the 201 being the best.. it's stitches look like a regimented row of rice grains.. that's not to say the 320 is bad.. just not so good at straight line stitching..

The 320 also uses a special needle which is fractionally shorter than the standard one. Use the wrong needle and it collides with the lower bobbin case .. usually damaging it .. it also has an internal timing belt that can break.. no idea if spares are available..

It is a pig to set up.. took me ages to get mine running correctly.. the previous owner had messed up the timing..

If you need a zig zag machine there are better machines than the 320.. sadly, none made by Singer, the 320 was a brave attempt but was too expensive and by the time it hit the market technology had moved on.. so never sold in any great numbers..

For everyday use I recommend the 201k or a 99k, they won't let you down.. and spares are cheap and easy to source.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Will the featherweight sew heavy stuff like leather as well as the 201

no, better suited to quilting and small sewing jobs .... lightweight leather as used for gloves etc would be ok. but not heavyweight..
they were intended for ladies maids to take on steamer trips and the like.. to do small repairs while they were away from home..

to be honest many 201s are wrongly advertised on eBay as semi - industrial.. this is nonsense.. .. they are domestic machines and can sew heavy canvas, and leather if not too heavy.. but if used in an industrial setting they would be too slow and wouldn't last a week ..

A proper industrial machine is totally different.. they have ball and or roller bearings in place of brass bushes, and an oiling system with a heavy duty under table motor with a foot pedal controlling a clutch..

if your primary use is sewing heavy canvas and leather then something like this would be a better buy ..

an example.. Broken Link Removed

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I want a machine that will do repairs on things like my kids school bag straps, and machining polyester strapping mainly. Will a 201k do this ok

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back