Silver Proof Coin Collecting (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Several years ago my daughter introduced me to Silver Proof coin collecting. I am not an avid collector probably buying 4-6 a year from the Royal Mint or CPM. I buy whatever takes my fancy no particular method in my madness but have built up a nice little collection many of which have increased in value which I am very chuffed about. The Royal Mint have just introduced several new editions celebrating the Queens Platinum Jubilee one in particular a £5 boxed silver proof caught my eye so I pre-ordered it, cost £92.50p and it arrived today absolutely stunning coin and the edition being limited to 5000 they very quickly sold out. Looking on EBay tonight and the dealers are trying to make a killing many being offered for £250 and above. Begs the question why those wanting one didn’t pre order from the mint or CPM.
Nowt so queer as folk as they say.
My collection will go to my grand daughter once I pop me clogs maybe help her through Uni or whatever.
Any other collectors on here?
BC8BFB38-47C2-4CD1-8DB6-F91F2CBE7B3E.png
6F7D8BB0-C6D1-4DD4-8615-237E6BD5FD3A.png

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My daughter was between jobs, so took a sales job selling the other sort of collectible "coins". Well they insisted on calling them coins but are in reality worthless discs of metal. She absolutely hated the ethics, as they had lists of target customers which were almost all elderly

Not disparaging the royal mint and genuine silver proof coins. Just a warning that most of the so called special edition coins are worthless, even if it sounds like the royal mint approve them

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have recently acquired a collection of these coins from my late father.
Probably a couple of hundred coins in total.

Where is the best place to sell them and see if I can at least get a decent proportion of his outlay back

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Where is the best place to sell them and see if I can at least get a decent proportion of his outlay back
are they royal mint with the paperwork?

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
My daughter was between jobs, so took a sales job selling the other sort of collectible "coins". Well they insisted on calling them coins but are in reality worthless discs of metal. She absolutely hated the ethics, as they had lists of target customers which were almost all elderly

Not disparaging the royal mint and genuine silver proof coins. Just a warning that most of the so called special edition coins are worthless, even if it sounds like the royal mint approve them
Mine are mostly RM with COAs but I take you point there are some shysters out there preying on the vulnerable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

There is a fb group for selling and trading.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
are they royal mint with the paperwork?
There are books of certificates, I forget the name of the supplier, but its not the royal mint.

There are a number of commemorative coins that I recognise, such as 1977 jubilee crowns and the like.
There are also a lot of silver plated standard coins such as 50p's and £1's, each in a plastic case.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I have inherited a very large collection of Royal Mint Proof coins. Other than the gold proof coins, they are not an easy proposition selling especially on mass. EBay ‘sold’ rather rather than ebay ‘asking’ price for the collection suggest an ultimate value 3x what any of the dealers will offer. I appreciate they are running a business and need to sell the collection over what could be an extended period, but…

Stewart J, my observation, from my situation, is that unless your granddaughter will sell them individually, they are not investments to realise the full value from. Do her a favour as the one with the knowledge on these and bequest her the cash not the coins…

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
My hubby collected the Queens mythical beast coins from the Royal mint. Beautiful coins and he is builting a deep coffee table to display them all as we speak (type)?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back