Seeking NC500 Tips for Campervan Newbies (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2022
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi all, my partner and I are quite new to the forum, and camper vanning.
We have recently bought our first ever camper van (VW T6). We are looking to do the NC500 in the next couple of months. I was wondering if anyone on the forum could give us some recommendations of places to stay, and any other advice you may have for two campervan newbies.
:giggle:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
ello

My first thoughts are whether you have shower and toilet facilities onboard?

Even if you have them, facilities are quite widespread on that route.

I suggest you have one season of getting used to your T6 and the most comfortable way to operate it before venturing onto the NC500.

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Dont pressure yourself would be my tip, trying to do it all ASAP. Give it a try and decide which way round, then have a good moooch on here for others who may have done similar.
There are plenty nice places, then there are pitfalls like midgies at certain times of the year on the west, traffic during holiday season etc.

plenty folk doing it esp in the summer months, and you'll meet lots of like minded folk, just as much as you may encounter those that dont want you (us) there.

Use the search bar for NC500, and Im sure you will find lots to tease your tastebuds.

Some love it others don't, me personally I think its well overrated, but seems to be one of the "must do's" thanks to marketing from the Scots, but with all the "youtubers" and every Tom dick and harry now, it seems to have imploded on itself.

Id much rather potter round the lakes, devon, cumbria, and avoid the anti-English feeling I encountered blatantly both times I did it, some want our tourist £, and some dont want us at all.

Their choice, and given that some "campers" got us a bad name with leaving rubbish and being irresponsible you can somewhat understand it, but no its not for me.

in fact I'd much rather hop over the channel and do it properly, Aires every 2 farts, much nicer roads, and a more welcoming approach in general.

start here good luck

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Done it a few times and loved it every time. Always been made welcome and never encountered any issues. We avoid nigh season due to the volumes of visitors. Download the NC500 app.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
think its well overrated, but seems to be one of the "must do's" thanks to marketing from the Scots,
I am a Scot and agree wholeheartedly with that comment....
Plenty of just as impressive ( if not better) place to see and do up here than driving around what can sometimes give the M25 a run for its money🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We did it 2016 before the masses and loved it. You might find some of our trip interesting here’s a link.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We have done the NC500 once anti-clockwise just two of us driving a T6 LWB Highroof in May 2018 and enjoyed it. Where possible we use wild spots for overnight and if you look carefully there are plenty of them. The rules are simple, park well away from habitation and ensure that you infringe no-ones privacy. When you leave be sure that the most you leave behind are your tyre marks.
It's often worth investigating places off the published NC500 route both for interest and scenery.
Search for sights website or their app provide a good source of stopping places both wild and campsites. With a bit of diligence you will find services for filling with freshwater, emptying toilet cassette and grey water tank if you have such on board, even some away from campsites, harbour side parkings are a good example of these.

Upvote 0

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
I am a Scot and agree wholeheartedly with that comment....
Plenty of just as impressive ( if not better) place to see and do up here than driving around what can sometimes give the M25 a run for its money🤣🤣
We were going to do the NC500 last October, but I’ve never seen so many hired MH’s before, all in the Inverness area, all setting off to blast around that route.

Also seeing how some of these MH newbie's were behaving in camp sites and on the roads convinced us to avoid the NC500, and we had a fantastic time in other parts of Scotland instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We did it last May. Started in Inverness and went Anti clockwise. We then went to Skye aswell.

To be honest we didn't plan at all. We are in a large (7.5 metre) motorhome but we just stopped in car parks or free spots that we found as we went along along and with the help of Park4 night, google maps and search for sites. It would be even easier in a campervan of your size but I guess it depends whether you can be self contained or not.

We went in May and it wasn't busy at all.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We were going to do the NC500 last October, but I’ve never seen so many hired MH’s before, all in the Inverness area, all setting off to blast around that route.

Also seeing how some of these MH newbie's were behaving in camp sites and on the roads convinced us to avoid the NC500, and we had a fantastic time in other parts of Scotland instead.

There are a lot of hire companies but once on the road I saw very few hired motorhomes. In May it really was quiet, pleasant and I saw no 'poor behaviour' at all. I didn't venture into any campsites.

Reactions: CRD
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back