Say No To Bakers Complete Dog Food (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Jeez - all that junk in dog food :Sad:

Our monsters get:

40g of essential Waitrose terrine with chicken and 2/3 scoops of James Welbeloved Small Breed Adult Biscuits twice a day :Smile:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Sorry, never eaten a kebab in my life (60yrs)::bigsmile:

I do not have concerns about some E numbers, but several of those in Bakers look to be dodgy!

As for saying, we should listen to the words of wisdom from an ex employee, with a company pension, Why should I listen to them.

At the end of the day as in everything else in life, people need to look at all the information and then make their own minds up.:Smile:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hands up all those who will stuff a kebab down their gobs, yet not give a dog summat with an E number ?
I'll have a kebab, or a McDonalds from time to time... and love it - but don't pretend it's going to be good for me, not would I only eat kebabs.
There is enough anecdotal evidence, and enough alternatives for me to choose not to feed my dog Bakers on a daily basis - but I wouldn't worry about using it for a couple of days, if that's all I could get from a village shop!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I forgot, we did feed rubes bakers once when we were staying in our static van (oh bless ed friends don't think less of us for being x statics) for a small dog the amount of poo she did was horrendous, I'm talking carrier bag size not little blue doggy bag, nobody wants to walk along the beach carrying that! for that reason alone Im happy to feed her Burns.

Less crap in less crap out.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
we feed our all our dogs the barf diet. no need to brush their teeth or anything. We took holly (11 year old flat coat) for her yearly check upo the other month and the new vet looked at us after looking at her teeth and coat and said " you feed natural (barf) right".

enough said.

If your at the peterborough show then take a look at all three of my dogs, gladly go through the principles of the diet.

Work with a guy who used to work at the cat food factory in wisbech, and he was telling me about something they called "grill" which was all the shite that was processed to look like tuna flakes for cat food purely for the owners to think that it was full of tuna flakes:Eeek:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have visited the factory many times including a visit just after it was acquired - and can say that it has been greatly improved. So if it smells now it must have also smelt before only more so (but perhaps when it was locally owned that didn't matter so much)
So your dog thrived on Bakers before you found out the recipe - as the recipe is unlikely to have changed significantly since then I think you've proved my point.
Yes its a free world and you pay your money and takes your choice and yes there are more expensive and perhaps more complete foods out there - but if you are going to publicly slag off one against the other then please use factual evidence based arguments rather than value judgements

The Springer was many years ago - and we did not know any better, so I do not agree with your point at all. Now the nutrition value is checked and we buy the best that we can. I am not "slagging off" at all but basing a judgement on FACTS and evidence based such as the nutritional value that is printed on every sack of the stuff, no matter which brand. The evidence is there for everyone to see

Edit - I just re- read my original post on this and I say the same as above. Clearly you only read it selectively when accusing me of slagging off something

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
we feed our all our dogs the barf diet. no need to brush their teeth or anything. We took holly (11 year old flat coat) for her yearly check upo the other month and the new vet looked at us after looking at her teeth and coat and said " you feed natural (barf) right".

enough said.

If your at the peterborough show then take a look at all three of my dogs, gladly go through the principles of the diet.

:

I am looking forward to Peterborough. Before we got into rescue dogs we had flatcoats (Sire - Kenjo black Mark as I recall, breeder near Spalding) and absolutely love them. Really missed being cornered and being leaned upon:thumb: hope to see you there. Look for a couple with a mad cocker spaniel (rescue)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
My brother used to eat Bonios when he was younger ,he`s still ok at 61:thumb:
Many years ago I was at my sister's house. She said she had been baking - not something she did very often as she's not a very good cook. She said, "Would you like to try one of my sausage rolls?" "O.K", I said cautiously. She presented me with a unsavoury-looking mini sausage roll but, as I didn't want to upset her, I hesitantly bit into it. It was vile! Then I saw my sister's face. She was trying not to laugh. It turned out that the 'sausage rolls' were the new-to-the-market Pedigree Markies that she had bought for her dog!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I do not have concerns about some E numbers, but several of those in Bakers look to be dodgy!

At the end of the day as in everything else in life, people need to look at all the information and then make their own minds up.:Smile:

Quite a few other makes as well. We look for nutrition value such as protein and also the lack of additives. I would urge people simply to read the label and make an informed decision as we have, which is why we do not buy certain brands of dog food, in the same way that we do not buy certain human foods

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Whilst I totally respect everyone's right to their own opinions, I do NOT like threads like this simply to 'worry' people and to 'vilify' a company/product[HI] based on some article which has been 'found' on the internet.[/HI] No link has been provided to the site showing it to confirm who actually wrote this article and when, so it is not sensible to react to it in a knee-jerk way.

If you have concerned then do you own 'sensible' research, not just going from one report, look at other products too for both positive AND negative comments, then make an judgement, and then, if you wish, post your finding on here so that the rest of us can likewise make an educated decision too.

:Smile:

Kettle & pot, where is your research showing the article to be inaccurate, as the next post shows 'Anyone looking for good information on dog foods, and any other info on dogs or any other pet should take a look at www.petforums.co.uk There is a sticky on dry dog food, that uses a traffic light system for best/worst dog foods.' where it shows the dog food in question to be suspect. :Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Our Border Collie lived to 15 years old before we had to have him put down:Sad:
We started him on "wet", Naturediet puppy food chicken/lamb/rice with small mixer from 12 weeks......he loved it!
Then we were advised to put him on dry food......we started with James Wellbeloved lamb/rice, but he wouldn't eat it, so it was back to the Naturediet/mixer for a while.
We tried umpteen dry foods with him, having been told that they were better for him. He always turned his nose up at them, we tried Bakers, Eukanuba and others, eventually we ended up mixing half a tin of his favourite food through Bakers complete....he would eat that.

We couldn't get him to eat dry food on it's own at all, he would only eat it if we added mince beef and gravy, or chicken/turkey with other leftovers to it. The vet suggested that if he didn't eat the dry food within 15 minutes, to take the bowl away and he would eat it the next time.........this didn't work either. He would sniff around the bowl and then look up as if to say, "You know I don't like that stuff, so why am I getting it"?:RollEyes:
We could always tell how much he enjoyed his food by how far his bowl would move across the kitchen floor when he was eating. This only happened when there was gravy or leftovers added to the dry food:thumb:

He rarely needed vet treatment apart from jabs etc and was a healthy dog who lived to 15 years. The majority of this time he was fed Bakers complete with added leftovers and it didn't do him any harm at all.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Quite a few other makes as well. We look for nutrition value such as protein and also the lack of additives. I would urge people simply to read the label and make an informed decision as we have, which is why we do not buy certain brands of dog food, in the same way that we do not buy certain human foods

Millies Wolfheart:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Kettle & pot, where is your research showing the article to be inaccurate, as the next post shows 'Anyone looking for good information on dog foods, and any other info on dogs or any other pet should take a look at www.petforums.co.uk There is a sticky on dry dog food, that uses a traffic light system for best/worst dog foods.' where it shows the dog food in question to be suspect. :Smile:

good link.. good info, but I doubt I'll be buying this one..

ZIWIPEAK (daily dog cuisine, venison)

[HI]Price (5kg): £84.98[/HI] :Eeek:
Suggested daily amount: 140g
Daily feeding cost: £2.42

Ingredients: Venison meat (min 65%), liver, tripe, heart and kidney (min 19.5%), chicory syrup, green lipped and blue mussel (min 4%), fish oil, lecithin, kelp, vitamins, minerals, parsley ..

£17 per kg .. cost more than prime steak !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Luckily he was fit and healthy right to the end and died of internal bleeding. Short and quick with me holding his paw on the vet's table.

I saw a large dog run over by a lorry once, the sight still haunts me. It died after a few minutes, horrible end.

But my comment was meant light heartedly, and referred to the number of legs it seems to have sprouted. On second thoughts, do you live near a nuclear power station? Two-headed cod are apparently regularly seen off the coast Sellafield - or Windscale as I knew it when I used to visit many years ago.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It is if you come from certain areas of Lincolnshire and Norfolk...:thumb::thumb:
Or called Ozzie Ozbourne :roflmto:

Bark_at_the_moon.jpg

Link Removed

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
give ya bloody mutts some proper food like i do and its also handy when ya come back to the mh pissed having been in the bar all night with other funsters and u can eat the dogs grub not that mine was at all happy when i did but it went down a treat :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Will you please get it into your head, we are not from Norfolk, we have just lived here happily for the last 21 years ::bigsmile:

But is has been noticed and mentioned on other threads how certain types all group together,

Jews
Muslims
Indians
etc

NUTTERS.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nuf said really...:thumb::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
A dog is by nature a scrounger IN THE WILD, it's not big enough to bring down prey (on it's own!) It eats anything it can find in the wild, Carrion is, in the wild, it's main source of food.
Humans have adopted the Dog, and lately, fed it all sorts of mush, day after day after day:Sad:
If you are fed ,say, a full English, YUMMIE! you say, but day after day after day, week after week, month after month???
[HI]A dog requires a varied diet[/HI], Chicken mince and rice, Tinned Tuna oil and spaghetti, Tinned dog food and dog biscuits, shin beef, grated carrot and dog biscuits, a tin of sardines and cooked rice.
No Nos are any milk product, Chocolate, cheese, COOKED chicken on the bone!

Special treats, like giving a kid a lolly, RAW chicken wings

Tinned Dog food, Dry Dog food, (biscuits) day after day after day Will give a Dog health problems, tartar on teeth, Bad breath:Angry:

You've invited a Furry Person to share your life, it will give you unconditional love, treat it with respect!

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Two things about dogs.....

1) If you ever doubted that a dog is a man's best friend then try locking both your wife and your dog in the boot of the car for an hour and then see which one of the two is actually pleased to see you when you finally open it......:winky:

2) diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Man's best friend is........ A dog :Doh:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Only have used James Wellbeloved, on the advice of the breeders, Beardie Collies have funny tummies, and we have to be very careful, two weeks ago they had one small cooked sausage each with their kibble, and ever since they have had very bad stomach upset,:Sad: had to starve for two days, now on rice or pasta, with cooked chicken, other days cooked white fish, we are finally getting back to normal, they do have cheese, it is good for them, as a titbit, they don`t have anything with colorants in or preservatives, bio yoghurts are good too, greens carrots we don`t have junk food so will not feed the dogs junk food. never ever give dogs chocolate it is very toxic to them.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have 10 dogs and have a very big circle of friends in the working dog world this food is not recomended at all because of the E numbers and colourants in it and especially the behaviour problems this leads to. We feed Arden Grange

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Meg is on Wellbeloved White fish & veg which claims to be hypoallergenic. She does very well on it but prefers it augmented with whatever's going as I think she finds it a bit boring. Because what we were having tonight was not suitable I poached her a bit of Pollack in a bit of milk and added it to her Wellbeloveds, wolfed straight down and came to thank me (puts head on knee and looks up soulfully). All I get for plain dog food is a dirty look.::bigsmile:

She also likes it with tuna, chicken, or the odd prawn.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have 10 dogs and have a very big circle of friends in the working dog world this food is not recomended at all because of the E numbers and colourants in it and especially the behaviour problems this leads to. We feed Arden Grange

I should add never buy the cheapest, BUT , no need to buy the dearest to get a food with decent quality ingredients, we always start our dogs on complete dry Puppy food and try to avoid wet food as its a complication sometimes to swap them over to dried, with 10 dogs and usually 6 - 7 with us when we are staying away in the camper we do not want to feed fresh or tinned.
We have a new puppy and she has been diagnosed with Campylobacter which is a chronic stomach complaint that takes strong drugs to cure, the breeder fed raw chicken which sounds great and caring BUT we have the results as this is no doubt where it came from and we understand other puppies in the litter have the same, hence we are fans of decent quality dried food with the minimum/nil of e numbers.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Hands up all those who will stuff a kebab down their gobs, yet not give a dog summat with an E number ?

I have never eaten a kebab, we only eat home cooked food made from scratch, all our veg and fruit are home grown, I don`t eat and never have meat, rarely go out for meals and will not have junk food, luckily we both agree my husband more so . he cooks and can bake, make our own bread, and check what is in the food we do buy. we just have traditional English food. Boring to some, but suits us.

So wouldn`t feed any food that is considered inferior to our animals. It actually works out no dearer, as with good food they don`t need so much of or it, we buy two 15 kilo bags on line with free delivery a lot cheaper than from pet shops.

Just to say my Husband worked for Pedigree Petfoods, nearly all of his working life, has a pension from there, but will not feed our dogs their food.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have never eaten a kebab, we only eat home cooked food made from scratch, all our veg and fruit are home grown, I don`t eat and never have meat, rarely go out for meals and will not have junk food, luckily we both agree my husband more so . he cooks and can bake, make our own bread, and check what is in the food we do buy. we just have traditional English food. Boring to some, but suits us.

So wouldn`t feed any food that is considered inferior to our animals. It actually works out no dearer, as with good food they don`t need so much of or it, we buy two 15 kilo bags on line with free delivery a lot cheaper than from pet shops.

Just to say my Husband worked for Pedigree Petfoods, nearly all of his working life, has a pension from there, but will not feed our dogs their food.

Been to both the wet & dry Pedigree factories, amazing labour free operation, we were sponsored by Pedigree for years and our dogs were good on the Premium dried but not there ordinary complete dried

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back