Say No To Bakers Complete Dog Food (2 Viewers)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Broken Link Removed

BAKERS COMPLETE ADULT AND PUPPY DOG FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[this is well worth reading if you have any cares about the health of your dog or have a conscience]
Would you feed your dog a food which contains THIRTEEN E numbers?
Now, it's the law that dog food manufacturers have to state on their packaging for any bags over 10kg EVERY ingredient. They used to be able to say "EEC permitted colorants and preservatives". Now, here's the list in full:
BHA, E320
BHT, E321
Propyl Gallate, E310
Citric Acid, E330
Potassium Sorbate, E202
Propan -1,2-diol, E490
Iron Oxide, E172
Indigo Carmine, E132
Tartrazine, E102
Sunset Yellow, E110
Quinoline Yellow, E104
Titanium Dioxide, E171
Carbon Black, E153
In more detail:
E320 - has been found to be tumour-producing when fed to rats. In human studies it has been linked with urticaria, angioedema and asthma
E321 - banned for use in food in Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from being used in infant foods. So bad McNasty's have voluntarily eliminated it from their products.
E310 - Banned from children's foods in the US because it is thought to cause the blood disorder methemoglobinemia
E172 - Banned in Germany
E132 - Can cause skin sensitivity, a rash similar to nettle rash, itching, nausea, high blood pressure and breathing problems. One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children.
Prohibited in Norway.
E102 - TARTRAZINE - A trial on 76 children diagnosed as hyperactive, showed that tartrazine provoked abnormal behaviour patterns in 79% of them
E110 - Sunset Yellow (E110) has been found to damage kidneys and adrenals when fed to laboratory rats. It has also been found to be carcinogenic when fed to animals
E104 - One of the colours that the Hyperactive Children's Support Group recommends be eliminated from the diet of children. Banned in Australia, Japan, Norway and the United States.
E171 - Banned in Germany
E153 - Banned as a food additive in the United States of America. Suspected as a carcinogenic agent.
And which food contains all these?
Bakers Complete.
Please tell everyone you know with a dog to STOP feeding them this food. As you would imagine, it causes hyperactivity - this is often misdiagnosed as a 'behavioural' problem, and I know of dogs who have been PUT TO SLEEP by owners who have assumed they have a 'bad dog'.
It's disgusting that in these days where we are all very aware of additives and colorants causing bad behaviour in kids, these same colorants are being fed to animals causing the exact same symptoms.
The only difference is that people don't have their kids put down - sadly, dogs don't get the benefit of the doubt, and the opportunity of a proper diet.
I've also heard Pedigree is just as bad!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I fed this to Susie for 15 years of her life.
She had a lot of the problems mentioned.
I wish I had known about this years ago bless her, she wouldn't have had to use the vets as much and with un diagnosed problems, but lots of visits trying to diagnose,which probably led to her death eventually last year? ?????
I feel so bad about this.
Why aren't we told about these things,letting poor animals suffer like this?

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We had never used Bakers until we went to our daughters five years ago, our dog loved it, so we changed. After about six months found her claws had started to become brittle, especially her dew claws, also she appeared to have become more hyper and disobedient. Vet advised us Bakers is effectively cr!!!!. Have changed back to James Welbeloved and she is a different much healthier dog.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I fed Homer (him over to the left) on Baker's from a puppy, right up to 14 when he died.

He was super healthy and rarely needed the vets. Always had a beautiful coat.

But still nice to know potential problems. But also the quantities of the ingredients may be so miniscule as to be irrelevant.

Our new mutt, Elvis, won't touch the stuff :roflmto:

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've never used bakers, but have noticed the difference to my dogs coat if she's not fed properly.

I use Burns dog food, expensive, but free of additives and bulking agents. My vet also recommended a tin of cheap sardines a week and if your dogs coat is dry, Aldi or Lidl evening primrose oil.

Actually when costed out it's not too bad, anyway, what cost a happy heathy pet...priceless.

http://burnspet.co.uk

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
I changed my two springers feed from bakers about a year ago on the advice of my vet.Apparently dogs love it but it doesnt love them, he told me its like feeding your kids on Mcdonalds take outs for every meal . they are still fed on dry food but on a better quality make with no nasty adatives in it.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
When it was Genuinely Bakers and

a family firm & they were proud of the content.

but since PURINA Bought the Company I has me Doubts:Sad:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above.

Dawn will not touch Bakers dog food as it really is artificial and not very good at all. For the cost of a sack of complete dog food (if that is what you choose to feed the dog - opinions and habits vary; not wrong, just different) it is much more worthwhile buying one of the premium brands available. The cost per day is not that much in the big scheme of things and your faithful friend will really appreciate it.

Jake's diet is mixed but based on a premium dried food with occasional bits added, plus anything he can steal from the worktop when we aren't looking.......:winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is a free country - our choice was taken after looking at all the additives and the actual protein value of the food.

Basically you get what you pay for - a budget dog food will have budget ingredients and budget nutritional values. A quick look on a sack of Bakers complete will tell you all you need to know. No matter what is said in the above post, it is low quality. Other brands have similar low values.

We fed our Springer Spaniel on Bakers many years ago when it was privately owned and she did ok on it but now it is on our list of dog food not to buy for the above reasons. The factory in the middle of Sudbury stinks as well.......... which doesn't help perceptions.

Give a dog a decent diet..... They rely upon you for their health and well being

Last edited:

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
It is a free country - our choice was taken after looking at all the additives and the actual protein value of the food.

Basically you get what you pay for - a budget dog food will have budget ingredients and budget nutritional values. A quick look on a sack of Bakers complete will tell you all you need to know. No matter what is said in the above post, it is low quality. Other brands have similar low values.

We fed our Springer Spaniel on Bakers many years ago when it was privately owned and she did ok on it but now it is on our list of dog food not to buy for the above reasons. The factory in the middle of Sudbury stinks as well.......... which doesn't help perceptions.

Give a dog a decent diet..... They rely upon you for their health and well being
I have visited the factory many times including a visit just after it was acquired - and can say that it has been greatly improved. So if it smells now it must have also smelt before only more so (but perhaps when it was locally owned that didn't matter so much)
So your dog thrived on Bakers before you found out the recipe - as the recipe is unlikely to have changed significantly since then I think you've proved my point.
Yes its a free world and you pay your money and takes your choice and yes there are more expensive and perhaps more complete foods out there - but if you are going to publicly slag off one against the other then please use factual evidence based arguments rather than value judgements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The irony is the colouring is not for the dog, which couldn't care less what colour its food is, but to make the food more appealing to the owner.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
My brother used to eat Bonios when he was younger ,he`s still ok at 61:thumb:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I sort of understand the post, as I see it, it would seem that almost everything we buy....including dog food, has "E's" in it. I don't like - but have to eat- human food with "E" ingredients in it, no alternative, I do wonder, what on earth was so wrong with food, before the "E's". And why is it so expensive to buy, food without "E". :Doh:

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
WE feed raw food from Honey's.

When Hari first saw it she kinda looked at us and went 'is that it??' It amazes me how little they actually need, and compared to if she ate dried food, there must be a lot of fillers in kibble to bulk it out, what goes in must come out and boy don't you notice a difference.

Oh and we give her salmon oil for her coat as well.

When we are out and about though she has Lily's dried, as I recognise every ingredient in there and I think this is a good rule of thumb.

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
As above.

[HI]Dawn will not touch Bakers dog food[/HI] as it really is artificial and not very good at all. For the cost of a sack of complete dog food (if that is what you choose to feed the dog - opinions and habits vary; not wrong, just different) it is much more worthwhile buying one of the premium brands available. The cost per day is not that much in the big scheme of things and your faithful friend will really appreciate it.

Jake's diet is mixed but based on a premium dried food with occasional bits added, plus anything he can steal from the worktop when we aren't looking.......:winky:

My Dawn won't eat it either. :roflmto: :roflmto: :roflmto:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst I totally respect everyone's right to their own opinions, I do NOT like threads like this simply to 'worry' people and to 'vilify' a company/product based on some article which has been 'found' on the internet. No link has been provided to the site showing it to confirm who actually wrote this article and when, so it is not sensible to react to it in a knee-jerk way.

If you have concerned then do you own 'sensible' research, not just going from one report, look at other products too for both positive AND negative comments, then make an judgement, and then, if you wish, post your finding on here so that the rest of us can likewise make an educated decision too.

:Smile:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Anyone looking for good infomation on on dog foods, and any other info on dogs or any other pet should take a look at www.petforums.co.uk There is a sticky on dry dog food, that uses a traffic light system for best/worst dog foods.

I do find it interesting, that it appears that "Joe public" buy Bakers, by the ton,and yet the "dog world" seem to consistently slate it.

I would not feed it, because there are so many foods that are so much better, and my dog is worthy of the best I can do for her.
On another forum recently several people reccommended a particular dry food, because it was cheap! When I checked the ingredient list, the main ingredient was wheat at 47% further down the list was other grain products bringingthe total to well over 50%,might as well feed your dog on Rabbit food.

Dogs will eat most food that is put in front of them, they are scavengers by nature, but surely that doesnt mean we have to feed them rubbish.:Eeek:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i assumed the research was already done with other countries most of these e numbers in 1 country or another is that not research enough if in doubt keep feeding a animal who cant say this is no good for me these e numbers :Smile:
or better still take em yourself and save the dog the pain job done

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I sort of understand the post, as I see it, it would seem that almost everything we buy....including dog food, has "E's" in it. I don't like - but have to eat- human food with "E" ingredients in it, no alternative, I do wonder, what on earth was so wrong with food, before the "E's". And why is it so expensive to buy, food without "E". :Doh:
I didn't think that in the day and age, folk still believed that E numbers are automatically poisonous :ROFLMAO:

Have a read of this to put your mind at ease :Smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/food/2010/08/are-e-numbers-really-bad-for-y.shtml

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Too many folk believe anecdotal evidence found on the internet :roflmto:

Yet we have Moonman who works for Bakers and feeds his dog on it. He knows 1,000 times more about the food than Joe Bloggs, yet has no qualms about feeding it to his dog.

Why not believe him rather than some unproved scaremongering on t'internet ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Yet we have Moonman who works for Bakers and feeds his dog on it. He knows 1,000 times more about the food than Joe Bloggs, yet has no qualms about feeding it to his dog.

Look what they did to your dog!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012

to say his dog is ok on it does not mean anyone else's would be if this crap harms 1 dog thats enough for me not to sell the tripe
like i said in my other post if in doubt u try it yourself :Smile:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yes of he was fat and stoned and couldn't get out of the way:Smile:

Luckily he was fit and healthy right to the end and died of internal bleeding. Short and quick with me holding his paw on the vet's table.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Used to feed ours Bakers but it's Markus Muhle for ours now, only costs a few pence more but they are so much better for it.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Bakers

Thats a good question and I don't like scraremongering either. I do think that it would have been useful to know the origin of the original post because readers could evaluate it better, however I am grateful for the post, it provides food for thought :Smile:

There are lots of items on the list which, are said to be banned in one country or another, or which are said to be related to problematic conditions or have adverse effects. A ban seems to me to be some sot of proof and I wonder why these items have been banned, I doubt there would be bans on no grounds at all. I suppose one could individually research each of these items and get some further information. For example an item may have been banned because there is a small risk if ingested in large quantities while small amounts may have no significant risk. The boot and braces ban.

I also wonder why there are so many of these items in Bakers, or any other dog food for that matter why are they present at all. I suffer from that well know condition "skepticemia" which does lead me towards the thought that they are there to benefit to manufacturer rather than the consumer and until I know the reason for their presence I would not want to feed them to myself or my dog.

Before I got my dog and after, she was fed on food containing some of the additives mentioned. She suffered from skin conditions including dry itchy skin and repeated infected ears as a result of producing excess wax. Our vet suggested a change of diet and since changing to a food which does not contain these additives she has had no further problems and is a picture of health.

There are no doubt many who feed Bakers or other foods with these additives without problems, that's good for them but unless a manufacturer had the confidence to say what an additive does and why it was present I would not eat it or give it to my dog. Other food without these additives are available so why risk it. A look at this website might help, it's not unproved scaremongering or simply anecdotal.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0012/bakers-complete-adult I think this might be the source of some of the information in the original post.

In the absence of a good reason why these items are included in any dog food I prefer the advice of my Vet and the evidence of my own eyes.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hands up all those who will stuff a kebab down their gobs, yet not give a dog summat with an E number ?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
our last dog was rerd on it Frome a pup never had one health problem lived to 16 years old and only visited the vets for boosters
our currant dog is on it and have no intention of changing my son has been using it for over ten years with no ill effects
why do people do this say yes to bakers complete
I know of many who have used it with out any thing happening to there pets

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back