1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Sargent electronic control system

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Goldenoldies, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

I have the Sargent EC200 control system. When I hook up, trip the main switch on, I have 240 power. Question? if I turn on the red battery charger switch the electric box cooling fan kicks in, do I need this in the on position all the time or can I turn it on when needed, i.e. top up batteries if required. In the colder months I noticed the cupboard that houses the box gets quite warm as the heater is in front of it. Would it be safe to have off over summer nights as only the fridge/freezer would be on and colder nights when heater is on as well. The reason I ask is the cooling fan is so damn noisy and I have been told this the norm for this system.
    1 person likes this.
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster-Life Member

theres no problem turning off the charger, just so long as you remember the battery/s are not charging. put it on in the daytime to top up, but switch off at night.

as for heat build up, I've always thought it stupid that the charger is often placed at the back of the wardrobe with no airflow. this contributes to the boards in them failing. you could get the fan changed for a silent computer type fan to reduce noise.
  3. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Have a look at the EC200 manual on here: www.sargentltd.co.uk

I have the same Sargent kit but the fan on mine rarely comes on. Sargent say the fan should only operate if the panel internal temperature goes above 35C. I suspect your temperature sensor is faulty.

Sargent recommend you leave the charger on all the time it's connected to a supply but I prefer to exercise my battery and turn off when a full charge has been achieved.
  4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Ours is the EC 500 and it is sited in the first overhead locker behind the drivers seat. It is well vented and I have never heard the fan at all.
  5. SandJ

SandJ Funster