SanDisk iXpand flaky-want to transfer to another drive (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I knew it was too good to be true! We used our ancient 16gb iPhones for a lot of photos whilst touring in the van. ( I also use a Sony mirrorless camera) but the iPhone photos have largely filled up the phones' puny storage. So I bought a couple of SanDisk ixPand 64gb sticks (one for each of us) to transfer the photos on the phone to the San. At first I thought it was great; you plugged it into the iPhone (or ipad) and the app transferred the photos to the SanDisk and asked if you wanted the photos on the iPhone to be deleted. Which of course you do as that was the whole purpose of the San-to free up space.

Anyway, that was a couple of years ago and since then, San, in their wisdom, have updated the firmware making the San virtually unusable. Yes, you can view the photos, but if you try and forward them, the San freezes and you have to remove it, start over and try again. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Also, all the photos transferred have retained the date created but lost the geo-ticket which was really useful. Anyway, I don't like the fact that we have loads of photos that we use for our blog stuck on this user-unfriendly disc. So, I have a couple of 2TB hard drives going spare and would like to transfer everything on the San disc to one of the new hard drives (preferably the StoreJet25M3 2TB).

I've no idea whether this can be done and am anxious about losing our less than perfect photos completely. Any advice, gratefully received.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Sometimes to get over stuff like this you have to email yourself with the images.
once you have them you will have to open your email you can then save the images to a hard drive.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Why not simply set the iphone to upload your images to the cloud? Have you got an actual computer anywhere?
Thanks for the suggestion. Don’t really like using the cloud. I like being in control of my photos.
Yes, have a Mac and several large capacity hard drives (2&3 Tb).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for the suggestion. Don’t really like using the cloud. I like being in control of my photos.
Then use the cloud when you are out and about then pull the photos onto your hard drives when at home. That is more or less what I do.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
My post was about transferring photos on the sandisk to a hard drive. I understand your point if taking photos with iphone. Yes I could do that. But I’ve got 128gb of photos on the sandisk that i want on a better hard drive.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Why not simply set the iphone to upload your images to the cloud? Have you got an actual computer anywhere?

Ummm but you are in control of your photos? What control do you perceive your losing exactly?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it'd more likely to do with the iphone software as it's only a flash drive. You should be able to plug it into a PC and transfer them to the PC and from there to where you want to store them.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Ummm but you are in control of your photos? What control do you perceive your losing exactly?
That’s true with regard to any photos taken in the future. The issue is I have a huge number of my photos on the San disk that i want on a hard drive. See my post for the problems with the San disk. So in essence, I want a way, not involving the cloud, of transferring the photos on the Sandisk to a hard drive.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
That’s true with regard to any photos taken in the future. The issue is I have a huge number of my photos on the San disk that i want on a hard drive. See my post for the problems with the San disk. So in essence, I want a way, not involving the cloud, of transferring the photos on the Sandisk to a hard drive.
Ah ok, so does the sandisk with the photos not simply plug into the mac at home? what happens then?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am not familiar with the specific sandisk product, but in general don't trust their USB based drives as have lost data a couple of times. Always back up data and photos to at least 2 different devices to double the chances of retaining your valuable data

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Ah ok, so does the sandisk with the photos not simply plug into the mac at home? what happens then?
I’ll need to experiment. What I don’t want to happen is to plug the sandisk into the Mac, try and transfer the photos and find that I either lose the order the photos are currently stored on the sandisk (i.e. date order) or there is some corrupting of files due to possible software differences between sandisk and iOS.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You can always resort automatically into date order when you transfer. Ideally the data on the drive remains the same when you copy it across to the other device. I believe Sandisk did a small program for cloning USB drives, don't know if it still exists?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

That's the item I have. The video is helpful for showing how the Sandisk works but doesn't assist with transferring the files from the Sandisk to a hard drive. I opened the Sandisk (the app isn't available to iOS) and saw folders as in screen shot attached. Dropped and dragged these folders into the Hard drive folder and they appeared to be copied. However, when I go to the Hard Drive, the folders are there but no contents.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks.
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.54.30.png

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Apologies if you have already been here and is not working for you. It mentions dragging files and documents but interestingly it does not mention "folders", suspect it may well be a file structure thing so you have to it a file/photo at a time which seems nuts!

Page 21 for PC, page 22 for Mac: https://documents.westerndigital.co...pand-mini-usb-3-0/user-manual-ixpand-mini.pdf
Thank you for this. I will try what is described on pages 22-23. I’m going to open say, the Camera Roll folder on the ixpand and when open, select all and then drag that to the hard drive. I’ll see if that does it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think you will find it is a format incompatibility with the sandisk running a proprietary version of compression. That way you need to use their APP to transfer. There may be a work around by installing a program on your mac, but sorry my knowledge stops there as I am a windows guy and linux/android at a push.

If you can get the app for android, borrow a phone for a few hours to do the transfers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back