Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Got the van back today. Fixed.

Should have picked it up on Friday but was busy until now. It has new mounts, a new reverse gear and a new clutch has been fitted.

Started it up and noticed no thump when starting anymore. Went straight from the dealers to a Tesco car park and reversed it up a slight slope. Now I am able to fully release the clutch and the van will only move slowly, with no judder on take-up.

Drove home and reversed into my drive. This involves reversing across a road, over a dropped kerb and then up a slope on gravel. No problem, little rattle as I crossed the kerb, but otherwise very different to previous situation. Was almost able to do it with no throttle but not quite.

All I did was write one letter to Fiat, now I shall be writing another saying thanks. To review previous posts I have now spoken to 6 people with this van, two said it rattled a bit but I am the only person amongst 7 of us to take any action.

Off to Fort William on Friday.

Rgds
Bill

Reg Ball

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
Burnham on Sea. Somerset
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
7+
Fiat X250 Judder

Hi
when I purchased my new Fiat Swift Mondial 12 months ago, I mentioned to the M/H dealer that I had read that there may be a problem with reverse. He told me it had all been sorted out and I would not find a problem. Liar ! I have a 1 in 4 winding drive and I wasn't brave enough to reverse it up when I first had the van. Some months later I gave it a go and noticed only the slightest judder but decided it was probably my driving, However, after reading the posts I decided to contact Fiat Italy thus resulting in new engine mounts which DID make the problem worse including horrible smelling clutch. Contacted them again by phone and they immediately text a ref number to my mobile saying my Fiat dealer would contact me when the parts arrived. This was done in short order and I am booked in for new reverse gear and shaft next month. I will report how things are on this site
I have to say, I have had nothing but courtesy from Fiat, I have not been fobbed off or anything like that. I, from my own personal experience, would recommend FIAT and I have had 2 previous Fiat M/Homes. I also did not go back to the selling dealer, I have dealt only with my Local FIAT Garage
Regards
Reg

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we also have a 09 fiat mondial .it as a slight judder .have it booked in end September .
found fiat Italy and the main dealer to be very helpful .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Fiat

Just had a phone call from Fiat Customer Services this morning the van is booked in for 19th October for the Grand Fix we are getting new "Engine Mounts,Tie Rod,Damper,Sleeve,Primary Shaft,Reverse gear ratio and CLUTCH !"
Must say Fiat have been very helpfull and we have only waited about 6 weeks since our phone call.Will post when we get the van back with results. - Sue

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Just had a phone call from Fiat Customer Services this morning the van is booked in for 19th October for the Grand Fix we are getting new "Engine Mounts,Tie Rod,Damper,Sleeve,Primary Shaft,Reverse gear ratio and CLUTCH !"
Must say Fiat have been very helpfull and we have only waited about 6 weeks since our phone call.Will post when we get the van back with results. - Sue

Ours goes in on Wed 23 sept, I'll post too with results.

John.

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Good to see some of you are being dealt with in the correct manner.
Personnelly would still never buy another fiat,it would seem to be the luck of the draw has to how they deal with your case.
I will be at the fiat stand at the nec if i can get there,just to let people know how they dealt with my issues :Smile::Smile::Smile:
Dave

NickF

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Nr Caernarfon North Wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze
Exp
on and off for years
ours 2008 ace firenze is going in on monday 28th sept same being done - gearbox, mounts , clutch etc , etc.

Fiat customer services very good, well pleased with them.

i'll let you all know how it goes on becuase my god does it judder getting out of my drive now!

Nick.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
we also have a 09 fiat mondial .it as a slight judder .have it booked in end September .
found fiat Italy and the main dealer to be very helpful .

Hi David,

We have had a new gearbox, flywheel and clutch fitted to our Peugeot Autocruise, I thought your Mondial was the new version and not affected by the judder!!

Ginny and Mike

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
No chance of a fix for us 3.0 ltr owners-we have been shat on by FiART from a great height.:RollEyes:

I will get a proper base vehicle next time around, lesson learnt.

steve

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
oh dear due to pick up our 07 bessacar with fiat 3lt engine on the first of oct. the more i read on here the more worried i become , think if we had read this before we would not have put our deposit on her . but before we part with any more money we will be reversing it up a slope . dealer has told me i have no worries , will let you no how we get on . FINGERS CROSSED for us please guys :cry::cry::cry::Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
oh dear due to pick up our 07 bessacar with fiat 3lt engine on the first of oct. the more i read on here the more worried i become , think if we had read this before we would not have put our deposit on her . but before we part with any more money we will be reversing it up a slope . dealer has told me i have no worries , will let you no how we get on . FINGERS CROSSED for us please guys :cry::cry::cry::Doh:
I will keep my fingers crossed for you, as Fiat seem to be ignoring any problems with this engine may I suggest you make a specific point of putting it in writing and getting the dealer to accept any responsibility should a problem arise. Also under the distance selling rules you do have 30 days? to change your mind and get a full refund of your deposit so threaten to pull out of the deal if they will not comply, after all it is secondhand and Fiat have no contract with you, he does!!!!!!!!!!!!

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
thanks for that roger . will do that and get him to put it in writing . who knows i my be worrying about nothing. just have to wait till we get there and try it out :thumb: and like someone said you only hear of the bad ones out there , but i must admit there seems to be quite a few :Doh:

sportingmac

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Epworth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Virgin
I am looking to buy our first Motorhome - hopefully Autocruise August - with a Fiat 3.0 engine and either a manual gearbox or an automatic gearbox - decision pending.

In researching the reverse judder problem I called Fiat MH customer services in Italy and then followed that up with a call to FIAT Customer Services UK (Slough). The lady I talked to told me about the issues and cures for the 2.3ltr manual gearbox - a 3 stage process that is FIAT dealer initiated. Following this thread the cure/fix seems to be working. She also said that from March all new 2.3ltre manual should have had the modification incorporated.

I also asked her what information she had on the 3.0ltre manual and she siad that she is seeing reverse judder complaints but that FIAT, as yet, have no fix organised for that version.

My question is to anyone who has the automatic gearbox fitted - any problems with that?

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
just got home from picking up our new van 2007 bessacar E769 . and it is great THE GOOD NEWS IS NO JUDDER . what a relief that is . love the van already , spent two nights in her on a site near the dealer , somerset motor homes who so far have been as good as gold . so i am one happy bunny at the moment and can hardly wait to get off to spain in her :thumb::thumb:

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
yes it is still a fiat but its also the 2nd fiat we have had first one was good and touch wood this ones good as well (so far) :Blush:

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
We just bought a 2 year old fiat van to use as a works vehicle. We had no idea about the gearbox recall when we bought it (thanks to the dealer) but now will loose a weeks work while it gets fixed. Had we known in advance we wouldn't have got rid of our old van until the new one was up and running.
Not impressed with either Fiat or the dealer.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I have a May 2006 Autocruise on a Peugeot 2.2 (previous model) 13,000 miles in France last week Clutch burnt out and I had noticed a slight judder in reverse. French garage repaired it ripping me off to the tune of 1100 euro.:cry: Will Peugeot want to know now the vehicle is 3 years 3 months old I very much doubt it.:winky:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
I am looking to buy our first Motorhome - hopefully Autocruise August - with a Fiat 3.0 engine and either a manual gearbox or an automatic gearbox - decision pending.

In researching the reverse judder problem I called Fiat MH customer services in Italy and then followed that up with a call to FIAT Customer Services UK (Slough). The lady I talked to told me about the issues and cures for the 2.3ltr manual gearbox - a 3 stage process that is FIAT dealer initiated. Following this thread the cure/fix seems to be working. She also said that from March all new 2.3ltre manual should have had the modification incorporated.

I also asked her what information she had on the 3.0ltre manual and she siad that she is seeing reverse judder complaints but that FIAT, as yet, have no fix organised for that version.

My question is to anyone who has the automatic gearbox fitted - any problems with that?

You mention March all 2.3, I hired a new 2.3 van over the weekend, it was worse than my motorhome before the gearbox mods, plus it was less than half the weight ?

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
today i had the work carried out at stoneacre doncaster had A and B fix
carried out .
i have a panel van converted by swift .
the fix seems to work .you need no revs and it will go backwards with out
the judder .
i have given it some big hills in revers today with no problem at all.
this is the list of parts used .
sealer .gear .main shaft.risid sleeve.link rod.
two supports. clutch.damper.kit main shaft sealing gaskets and
mountings.
we now have a van that will go forwards and backwards with no problem.:thumb:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Well, thats it, took Milly (the motorhome) to the dealer today to have a new reverse gear fitted, perhaps new mounts as well. It will take a few days so once I get her back I shall let you know how we got on.

Interestingly, the dealer has already carried out one recall that only involved mounts and this apparently worked. He doesn't know why some are getting the gear changed as well.

The dealer has a steep ramp at the back of his yard so I shall be trialling the mods before I leave the site. Here's hoping!

Rgds
Bill

Bill
Have you got the 2lt or 3 lt i have the 3lt and i dont seem to have the problem

Bill:whatthe:

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Ours is the 2.3 ltr engine, this seems to be the worst affected. I have spoken to a few 3 ltr owners on site and none seemed to be having problems, having said that most of the 2.3 ltr owners I spoke to didn't seem to be affected either.

Rgds
Bill

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
I had the 3 litre model and that certainly juddered in reverse without hill/unusual loads ie my m/c. on the back. No longer own the motorhome -Rapido7099 reverse gear excepted it was a superb driving experience and highly recommended by me, perfect if the problems highlighted could be solved. PS 2007 model manufactured NOV.2006 POSSIBLY IF SOME "ORGANISED PERSON " could undertake a poll to establish when manufactured and if affected by this juddering!, this may highlight to the customer where the problem is likely to exist.

dave & Jan

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi,

We had a beautiful Swift Kon-tiki 3 litre 2007 on the Fiat Ducatto which was our ideal layout - end lounge 5 berth -drove lovely - lots of power when needed. We thought we would have this van for quite a few years. Had the scuttle done re water ingress. Although this is only a cover for the engine and some of the electrics, it doesn't completely stop the water entering the engine bay. As a resut water is deflected from the top of the engine into other areas and can then freeze and cause other problems, as previously reported on this forum.
Had a tiny bit of a judder and often wondered what other people were creating about.
The beginning of January we ended up being brought home on the back of a low loader as the engine management light came on, then went off, then came on again - loss of power- limp home mode, but we had to get up a steep hill. Took it to a Fiat garage they said it was the throttle body. Fiat said it wasn't under warranty as it was over 2 years (2 years up in Sept) but it had only done under 5000 miles. £500 to fix it.
I suspect that this could have been related to water ingress and freezing as above, but cant prove that either way.
Completely fed up with all worry of what this van might cost us in the future and want to be able to use our MH all year round, despite the weather.
Reluctantly sold our lovely motorhome. Trying to find another (new) that WASN'T on a Fiat/Peugot base is difficult to say the least - plenty of Fiats/Peugot, seem two a penny (late 2006 onwards) and cheap too. Obviously other owners getting rid as some were saying in the adverts they had them only a short while (ranging from 3 months-18 months) ( Mmm I wonder why) We are so angry and upset that we had to do this. We would buy another Swift in the future BUT NEVER WILL, until they use another base for their motorhomes.

Sorry to go on & on.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Seems odd that nearly all the reversing judder complaints are about the Fiat Ducato, a few about the Peugeot Boxer, but apparently none about the Citroen Relay when they are all supposed to be the same van??

Quote:
It's also worth noting that the Link Removed has also been affected by the judder virus (oddly the Link Removed, which is a sister van of the Boxer and Ducato, appears to have escaped this problem).

source: http://www.vansdirect.co.uk/content/fiat-peugeot-cure-judders

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Perhaps this should be in the Citroen Forum but I have just noticed there isn't one.

Are there no commercially built motorhomes based on the Citroen Relay?

If, as it appears, the Relay is the same van as the Ducato, are motorhomes more vulnerable because of extra weight, driving on softer ground campsites (try pedalling as bike on soft ground and see how much harder it is) more reversing up chocks for levelling, or more hilly scenic roads?

Or is it to do with the driver. Does the driver of a new Fiat Ducato motorhome notice (or imagine) a slight judder that plays on his mind, that white van man in the Citroen Relay doesn't even notice?

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Slight judder

I disagree with the previous poster the"slight judder" is not at all slight my whole van vibrated and i could usually make a clutch last for many 10's of thousands of miles . The sensation was exactly like trying to do 5mph. in 5th gear and do that without "slipping" the clutch the whole van shook fairly violently - as previously posted by me i sold mine with23000 on the clock and it was an excellent engine/gearbox combo. but for the reverse gear problem. I reckon mine was a breakdown waiting to happen Al

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back