1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Reverse Gear Recall

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by WillH, Aug 10, 2009.

1. WillH

WillH Funster

Well, thats it, took Milly (the motorhome) to the dealer today to have a new reverse gear fitted, perhaps new mounts as well. It will take a few days so once I get her back I shall let you know how we got on.

Interestingly, the dealer has already carried out one recall that only involved mounts and this apparently worked. He doesn't know why some are getting the gear changed as well.

The dealer has a steep ramp at the back of his yard so I shall be trialling the mods before I leave the site. Here's hoping!

Rgds
    Bill
  2. DESCO

DESCO Funster

I think it's just luck what they do first from what iv'e read. Seems they are attempting to shut people up as cheaply as possible or
    Divide and conquer

Sort some out so they can say they are doing something.

Hope yours is one that works

Personally I have lost all faith in Sevel made vans would never buy another, this time I decided on a Ford, not perfect but it works.

Dave:thumb::thumb:
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. M&L

M&L

Ours was done last week with the new lower reverse gear, engine mountings and new clutch. Fiat's official term for this work is Intervention B where as the engine mountings only is apparently called Intervention A.
    Good result with our van as the thump on start up has completely gone and there was no judder when I reversed onto the drive which is slightly uphill and on gravel.
    Even going forwards it seemed like a different van but we will have to wait untill we go to France at the end of the month when it's fully loaded to see if has really worked.
    I think that it depends how much you nag them as to which work you get done.

Mike
  4. WillH

WillH Funster

"I think that it depends how much you nag them as to which work you get done."

Hi Mike, I didn't nag them much at all, only one letter. I still don't think it is mush of a problem, at least not on our van. In all other respects it is great to drive, even going to the dealer today, not hanging about, I managed an indicated 29.9 m.p.g. My last car couldn't manage that without the caravan!

If the mods work, as I expect them to, the van should be perfect!

Rgds
    Bill
  5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I think you need to check out the threads on MHF and Out and about online.
    This shambles has been goin ong for some time now. I have been involved with it when my clutch on a new Autotrail cooked after only 200 miles.
    I still have the thump and although clutch replaced I have lost all confidence in the vehicle.
    Now Fiat are saying that there is no problem with the 3litre model.
    Pah a pox on their lousy engineering!
  6. WillH

WillH Funster

I have been following all the threads on all the websites, and in the magazines, for over 15 months now. Even been following the Italian sites. I still think either the problem is overated or, not all the 2.3's suffer the same problem. The 3 litre does not have any judder problem, nor the 2.2 that I know of.

I have over 10k on the clock now and the clutch is still good. Still think it is a good base vehicle, a very large percentage of all new motorhomes are built on it not to mention the legions of white vans.

Wait till I get it back and give it a trial, if its fixed, its fixed, if not, back to Fiat.

It's not the first vehicle to suffer problems, remember the beautiful Triumph Stag, some of them only managed 5k before the clutch went, flywheel problem! Worst I ever had at work were Ford Transits with sliding doors, after 2 years they fell off, alright once you knew it was going to happen but a bit of a shock first time.

Rgds
    Bill
  7. ScotJimland

ScotJimland Funster

8. DESCO

DESCO Funster

What sites have you been reading, I have seen plenty of 3 litre owners reporting trouble only to be told it's their imagination, when they have had clutches burn out, some imagination!!!!:Eeek: I have now decided that Fiat no longer tell the truth, or have any idea of what truth is and can't be relied upon for any thing they say.

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

The 3 litre does not have any judder problem, nor the 2.2 that I know of.
    You now know of mine!!!!
  10. WillH

WillH Funster

"The 3 litre does not have any judder problem, nor the 2.2 that I know of.
    You now know of mine!!!!
    "

So what mods have been done or have Fiat not responded to your complaint.

Rgds
    Bill
  11. DESCO

DESCO Funster

If as you say you have been following the posts on various sites you would know that Bigfoot according to Fiat does not have a problem with his 3 litre and they intend doing nothing.

12. WillH

WillH Funster

Exactly, so what is he doing about it. If, following the threads, it has the problem, then something needs to be done.

All I did was write one letter to Fiat, copied to Swift and my dealer with covering letters. I took no other action. Fiat wrote back and gave me a case number. Swift wrote back stating that they inderstooed Fiat were looking at the problem and were supportive. My dealer didn't bother to write, he phoned, not in a good mood, I reckon 60% of the new vans on his forecourt were Fiats. He was not supportive.

Next, Fiat invite me to visit dealer and have van inspected. Following that Fiat phoned from Italy to arrange a new reverse gear recall. Dealer phoned to book van in, story to date.

If a van has a problem, it gets inspected. Should the problem manifest at the dealer Fiat recall it.

How many people have written a letter and copied it as above? Please let me know.

Rgds
    Bill
  13. DESCO

DESCO Funster

I can't say maybe Bigfoot will answer, but from what I read on forums they are not even getting a chance to visit, and have fault seen, just being told there is no problem.
    I do not have personal knowledge only interest as I have a Ford.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  14. WillH

WillH Funster

This is the problem Dave, a lot of shouting but nothing being done. In the 15 months I have owned my van I have seen dozens of others on sites. The only person that ever spoke to me about it was a guy driving a car in Kings Lynn. No-one has ever approached me on site though I have spoken to 5 other owners, two said their van 'rattled a bit' going backwards.

So, is the problem being blown out of proportion, or are only a very few vans affected?

Rgds
    Bill
  15. jhorsf

jhorsf Funster

if as you say you have been keeping up with the postings on most forums you would not have asked the question above:Eeek: unless it was your intention to be contraversialhardhat
  16. ksebruce

ksebruce Funster

I have the 2.3 6 speed with the judder problem. I e mailed Fiat UK once from there they have arranged for my dealer to fit the new engine mounts and tie bar which improved the problem no end. However on a steep hill it still juddered so I contacted my dealer who phoned Fiat and it went in today for the clutch change and lower ratio reverse gear.
    So from my point of view Fiat service has been excellent. I am not saying this to upset anyone but can only speak as I find. :Smile:
  17. WillH

WillH Funster

Sorry, but I am not trying to be controversial, just trying to get things into perspective and better understand things myself. It is my opinion, shared by many others, that Fiat have made an error with their design, and/or build.

However, my personal experience in dealing with them has been satisfactory, so far. As an engineer myself I do understand the difficulties they face, including costs.

Having had the flywheel on a 33,000 h.p. engine disintergrate once I know from bitter experience that not everything works as it should, first time.

What I am trying to get across is that not every one of the sevel produced chassis displays this problem. Some seem to suffer more than others, some not at all and some so profoundly they appear to be undriveable. Why?

As they are all assembly line produced they should, in engineering terms, all present the same characteristics and they don't. This tells me there is more to it than a design error.

Not all drivers operate their vehicles the same way, some expect more from them than others, and some drivers can extract more from identical vehicles than others. I myself have a relatively gentle style, I expect clutch and brakes to last for many years. Others I know can burn out a clutch in only 30 or 40k miles.

So, I am happy to let Fiat do their thing and fix my van. What I can't figure out is why some people have had a negative response with Fiat saying there is nothing wrong.

I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way but it is puzzling me that there appears to be an inconsistancy in the Fiat response. Their customer service to me has been exemplary to date.

Lets hear from more members on their response from Fiat.

Rgds
    Bill:Sad:
  18. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick

These vans are designed to be abused by 'professional' white van man types, not to be mollycoddled.Therefore it appears to be a failure. Minor recalls are unwanted but not unexpected with new models but 'juddergate' can hardly be called minor and the Sevel response would certainly deter me from buying one.
  19. jhorsf

jhorsf Funster

so you have asked 5 others about the vans so out of the 6 including yours you should be able to work for yourself that the very few vans in your very limited personal survey is a piddling 50% that need some attention, how may out of 6 does it need in your oppinion before it is not and i quote above" BLOWN OUT OF ALL PROPORTION":restmycase:
  20. harleyjohn

harleyjohn Read Only Funster

I have an 08--650Trigano Tribute which as a mild judder in reverse, it has not suffered with water through the scuttle, or any other faults it runs and drives absolutley beautifully, fuel consumption is very good and I would deffinatley buy another. Fiat UK have been brill I only phoned them once with the judder complaint and my vehicle went in last week for engine mounts only. When it was completed i tried it on dealers steep drive and there was still a slight judder but better than it was originally. I told our dealer that it still juddered slightly and they rebooked it in for Sept for new clutch, reverse gear and pipe. Also whilst I was at the dealers they told me to take my log book in as on there computer my warranty started from the day our van left Fiat to go to Trigano, which was Sep 07, and they told me that I would be loosing 6months warranty. So I took my log book in and they have altered warranty on their records to start from March 08. Dealer Platts garage Stoke on Trent, and Fiat UK have been great, well done to both.

John.

PS hope all of you get yours sorted too.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009