Returning to UK from France on a ferry around Easter - advice wanted (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay guys and gals and everyone in between! :giggle:

We're finally hoping to get away to sunnier climes by early Feb at the latest however there is one fly in the ointment, we plan on being away for 60 days (our max for home insurance purposes) and this will mean coming back around Easter but as we've not been travelling on either Euro Tunnel or ferries at that time of year we're not sure which would be the best day to come back on a ferry. We don't want to have to mingle with tooooo many of the great unwashed or end up having to spend ages getting through customs, booking in etc.

At present hubby wants to come back via Dunkerque but we'll still have some Tesco P&O vouchers to use so might be Calais and our plan is to get a crossing leaving France somewhere between 8.30 am and 11.00 am and then we'd stay overnight rather than rush home but could do so if we really felt like it.

Obviously we'll avoid Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday (silly prices anyway) but it could be the Sunday or a few days later ... so which would you suggest is best?

For info we'll be going out via P&O using Tesco vouchers which require the booking to be made at least 7 days in advance so the earliest we could go at present would be 29 Jan (if I book tomorrow) although hubby would prefer a few days later but it's not vital.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Have a look at Trusted House sitters. We have used them for several years and they also look after pets etc.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Basically if your travelling at a busy time all routes will be BUSY.

Why not plan for longer....
We're away for a year and took out holiday home insurance with Adrian Flux, neighbour/friends/daughter
visit at least ones every 2 weeks. Same replacement values as regular household insurance.
They take a picture of radio controlled clock and send on whatsapp as proof of visit.
We also had "proper" recording CCTV installed as well front and rear, we can view live or playback with internet
connection from anywhere as well as Hive for heating and timers to control lights.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Apart from the volume of traffic delays that you are planning for, these busy periods are often a time for industrial action, even working to rule can cause delays so it may be prudent to take extra care with travel dates.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We always the tunnel and have usually found Sunday is good as not to busy we traveled regularly coming home at or around Easter always traffic going the other way and not travelling back to UK😊👍 this year we don’t leave until end of Feb and return end of May so May find it a little different🤔

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

We're finally hoping to get away to sunnier climes by early Feb at the latest however there is one fly in the ointment, we plan on being away for 60 days (our max for home insurance purposes) and this will mean coming back around Easter but as we've not been travelling on either Euro Tunnel or ferries at that time of year we're not sure which would be the best day to come back on a ferry. We don't want to have to mingle with tooooo many of the great unwashed or end up having to spend ages getting through customs, booking in etc.

At present hubby wants to come back via Dunkerque but we'll still have some Tesco P&O vouchers to use so might be Calais and our plan is to get a crossing leaving France somewhere between 8.30 am and 11.00 am and then we'd stay overnight rather than rush home but could do so if we really felt like it.

Obviously we'll avoid Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday (silly prices anyway) but it could be the Sunday or a few days later ... so which would you suggest is best?

For info we'll be going out via P&O using Tesco vouchers which require the booking to be made at least 7 days in advance so the earliest we could go at present would be 29 Jan (if I book tomorrow) although hubby would prefer a few days later but it's not vital.
Check the School holiday dates.

From memory most of our schools (London, so a massive percentage of those on the ferries/Tunnel/planes. etc) break up on Easter Friday for two weeks.
So I'd either come back before 21st of March or, after 15th of April

I'd also check the unattended house rules. With most insurance as long as someone going in every few days, the house is not classed as unoccupied.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at Trusted House sitters. We have used them for several years and they also look after pets etc.
Wash your mouth out with soap ... or your fingers with caustic soda! :LOL: Our dogs are going with us, we'd never get off the drive if they didn't! :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why not plan for longer....
We'd love to go for longer but with having a 98 year old Mum in a care home (99 in April) who I'm the main contact for, and at the moment hubby's step Dad's wife aged 92 having treatment for ovarian cancer and likely not to be with us more than a few months if that, we can't realistically do that.

We're away for a year and took out holiday home insurance with Adrian Flux, neighbour/friends/daughter
visit at least ones every 2 weeks. Same replacement values as regular household insurance.
They take a picture of radio controlled clock and send on whatsapp as proof of visit.
Is that actually legal if it's your main residence? I would be wary of that personally as I'd hate to find out the hard way that a holiday home policy on my residential home may be construed as fraudulent and thus no cover whatsoever.

I could've taken out a policy that allowed 90 days 'away from home' last year but at the time it was extortionate for the extra 30 days so we decided not to do so and at present being able to have longer isn't really a viable option but something I will be looking at again when it is up for renewal in July.

We also had "proper" recording CCTV installed as well front and rear, we can view live or playback with internet
connection from anywhere as well as Hive for heating and timers to control lights.
I can understand you wanting that bit of extra security whilst away for that duration but it's not something we need/want and would be a big expense plus as we don't have land-based internet at home, just use our mobiles/sims, so not really practical for us anyway.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Check the School holiday dates.

From memory most of our schools (London, so a massive percentage of those on the ferries/Tunnel/planes. etc) break up on Easter Friday for two weeks.
So I'd either come back before 21st of March or, after 15th of April
If we want to max out to 60 days unless we delayed going, which we don't want to, we can't really avoid travelling back around Easter weekend and just after it. As the hoards will likely be going abroad then our coming back will be in the opposite direction to the flow of 'holiday escapee' traffic.
I'd also check the unattended house rules. With most insurance as long as someone going in every few days, the house is not classed as unoccupied.
Unfortunately that often isn't the case nowadays, I think they've got wise to that trick so it now often has to be someone who normally lives there too rather than a relative, neighbour etc and the time they have to stay isn't just a quick pop-in visit, they have to stay there for a few days. I did a lot of looking into this last July when our renewal was coming up at the end of that month and I couldn't find one that would cover us if we just had someone do as you suggest once past the 60 day limit.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
We'd love to go for longer but with having a 98 year old Mum in a care home (99 in April) who I'm the main contact for, and at the moment hubby's step Dad's wife aged 92 having treatment for ovarian cancer and likely not to be with us more than a few months if that, we can't realistically do that.

Is that actually legal if it's your main residence? I would be wary of that personally as I'd hate to find out the hard way that a holiday home policy on my residential home may be construed as fraudulent and thus no cover whatsoever.

I could've taken out a policy that allowed 90 days 'away from home' last year but at the time it was extortionate for the extra 30 days so we decided not to do so and at present being able to have longer isn't really a viable option but something I will be looking at again when it is up for renewal in July.

I can understand you wanting that bit of extra security whilst away for that duration but it's not something we need/want and would be a big expense plus as we don't have land-based internet at home, just use our mobiles/sims, so not really practical for us anyway.
We explained our requirement and the "holiday property" policy was the recommendation of Adrian Flux.

Given all the info you'll just have a join the masses then.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, we've finally decided what we're doing so I've booked a crossing outward on the morning of 1st February and we'll travel down the day before stopping overnight near Folkestone where we've been before, nice and quiet and not far from the motorway making it an easy off and back on in the morning.

Now frantically planning and sorting out stuff for our trip including the mountain of food hubby's already piled on the kitchen table .... shhhhhhh ... don't tell the French border control peeps! :LOL:

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Our preference is to make a day of driving down getting accross the water using the shuttle. Evening settle down in Gravelines or similar. Then nice fresh start to the day on the wrong side of the road.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We were at Dover a few years ago on a Sunday afternoon and ferry port was practically empty, it was August not Easter but it may be a good bet.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My vote would be to make the the return uk leg on Easter Sunday. Cross in the morning and travel home that day.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our preference is to make a day of driving down getting accross the water using the shuttle. Evening settle down in Gravelines or similar. Then nice fresh start to the day on the wrong side of the road.
That's what we always did but since we had to get AHCs for the dogs we went down the day before, picked the AHCs up in the morning then across into France. We actually found this much more relaxing as there was no worry about being stuck no the motorway etc on the way down and being late or missing our crossing so that's why we do it now, it also means that if our home insurance days away is checked using our crossing bookings it shows we didn't go until the day after we drove from home so we 'gain' a couple of days extra holiday! :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unfortunately someone doesn't like us ... today hubby rang to see how step MIL is and she's worse than when we saw her the other day which is very concerning, I won't say more on there as that's not the point of this thread, but it it doesn't make us feel great about going away!

Add to this that I got an email today from our letting agent to say our tenants have given notice and will be leaving on 12th February - I've played merry hell with them as they've known since 12th January but just hadn't told us! We're not having to deal with that on top of everything else so may have to delay going yet again ...

At this rate I'm gonna sell the flaming MH!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Won't be a problem most of the traffic will be leaving the UK.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
That's what we always did but since we had to get AHCs for the dogs we went down the day before, picked the AHCs up in the morning then across into France. We actually found this much more relaxing as there was no worry about being stuck no the motorway etc on the way down and being late or missing our crossing so that's why we do it now, it also means that if our home insurance days away is checked using our crossing bookings it shows we didn't go until the day after we drove from home so we 'gain' a couple of days extra holiday! :giggle:
Thankfully we don't have the the doggy issues and our son stays for a few days if we know we are going to be away for any length of time. As well as the cleaner coming in each week to do a walk around and put mail away.
As for tenants, two of our apartments in the center of Manchester we have not seen for 7/8 years as if there is a change over the agent sorts it all out (of course a charge for it). Our agent on those 2 is JLL at 7.5%, they do everything after confirmation mail from us.

Hope you do get away. We are doing the itin now wondering if we should go just before or after the Easter maddness.

Dec 14, 2021
East anglia
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora XL Aut
Exp
Puppy class

If you return via channel Tunnel, just make sure you adopt good vehicle security practises. A few weeks back, My wife returned on from a business trip with a colleague in a box van where 3 migrant males tried to get into their van...one was successful before being removed. They are waiting and watching behind any blade of grass for an opportunity

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Hope you do get away and for coming back Sunday would be a good bet and using Tesco vouchers on the tunnel lessens the financial blow. Good luck.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Sunday evenings on the tunnel are very busy with long queues for check in on the French side. Twice we have been turned away for arriving an hour ahead of the earliest checkin. By the time they send you back round via Coquelles and re-joined the queue, on one occassion, we were then late checking in and missed our booked train!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you return via channel Tunnel, just make sure you adopt good vehicle security practises. A few weeks back, My wife returned on from a business trip with a colleague in a box van where 3 migrant males tried to get into their van...one was successful before being removed. They are waiting and watching behind any blade of grass for an opportunity
We're using P&O ferry and don't stop anywhere near Calais, just straight to the port. Always very careful as we've seen the migrants on previous trips and know they are quite brazen.

Hope you do get away and for coming back Sunday would be a good bet and using Tesco vouchers on the tunnel lessens the financial blow. Good luck.
Yes we did, finally got over to France on 1/2 and slowly travelled through France and into Spain making our way south. We are currently at Puerto de Mazarron in our favourite spot next to the bit of decking on the beach. We're stopping for a couple of days then will start a slow meander back north again as we've decided there's no point in doing loads more miles southwards and getting into the midst of the mayhem due to the onslaught of campers etc further down when we've enjoyed the places we've been already and would like to go to them again.

Not sure yet which day we'll travel back to the UK as we're just going to play it by ear depending on the likely weather and how we feel. Only need to book ferry 7 days in advance so we can use our Tesco ferry vouchers so that's the only thing we need to think about but not for at least another couple of weeks yet.

Jan 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
robshawRX66lvc

Calais-Dover check out Irish Ferries may even get the 20% they were offering earlier. Few people know of this line so their bookings are low.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We're using P&O ferry and don't stop anywhere near Calais, just straight to the port. Always very careful as we've seen the migrants on previous trips and know they are quite brazen.

Yes we did, finally got over to France on 1/2 and slowly travelled through France and into Spain making our way south. We are currently at Puerto de Mazarron in our favourite spot next to the bit of decking on the beach. We're stopping for a couple of days then will start a slow meander back north again as we've decided there's no point in doing loads more miles southwards and getting into the midst of the mayhem due to the onslaught of campers etc further down when we've enjoyed the places we've been already and would like to go to them again.

Not sure yet which day we'll travel back to the UK as we're just going to play it by ear depending on the likely weather and how we feel. Only need to book ferry 7 days in advance so we can use our Tesco ferry vouchers so that's the only thing we need to think about but not for at least another couple of weeks yet.
With bad weather in Northern Spain and France at the moment I'd leave it as late as possible and drive straight back.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Calais-Dover check out Irish Ferries may even get the 20% they were offering earlier. Few people know of this line so their bookings are low.
Just had a shuftie and no discounts available so cheapest price for the time we want is £123 whereas with P&O it's £109.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back