Resolving Hymer Exsis t Fresh Water Tank Fill Problem (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Our Hymer Exsis t has a 100l fresh water tank. Over the years I have been accustomed to overfilling it just to the point that gurgles indicate the overflow is about to start. Tap off when the first overflow appears.
On our recent trip in Spain, a brief inattention resulted in rather more of an overfill and quite a lot of water dropped out underneath.....not all from the overflow pipe, possibly.
I checked in the underfloor inspection hatch on top of the tank and, sure enough, water. I subsequently deduced that it must have escaped not via the blue tank cap but from around the unscrewable point where various pipes come out and, I presume, the water pump is located, as I found it was a bit loose
Anyway, as per threads elsewhere, I also found water under the garage floor in the concealed space. Once dried out it continued to ooze in for a while from where it must have been trapped in the underfloor space. I did take the precaution of putting some red food dye in the freshwater tank and waiting to see if any red water appeared in the garage but all clear. So it must have been overflow not a tank leak.
With apologies for the over long preamble, here is my problem. Anxious not to overfill again, I have bought a hose end water meter to measure what I put in. Today, I metered in around 50l with the blue cap off, just to see where the water came to. In my tank, which is shaped, like many, the point under the cap is a platform and the rest of the tank is not really visible. To my surprise, at 50l the water level is right up to the bottom of the screw thread. The onboard gauge is only showing 50% full, as expected.
I haven't tried putting any more in the tank (with the cap screwed in, of course) as I am now a bit wary.
What could be going on? Any ideas?

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Our Hymer Exsis t has a 100l fresh water tank. Over the years I have been accustomed to overfilling it just to the point that gurgles indicate the overflow is about to start. Tap off when the first overflow appears.
On our recent trip in Spain, a brief inattention resulted in rather more of an overfill and quite a lot of water dropped out underneath.....not all from the overflow pipe, possibly.
I checked in the underfloor inspection hatch on top of the tank and, sure enough, water. I subsequently deduced that it must have escaped not via the blue tank cap but from around the unscrewable point where various pipes come out and, I presume, the water pump is located, as I found it was a bit loose
Anyway, as per threads elsewhere, I also found water under the garage floor in the concealed space. Once dried out it continued to ooze in for a while from where it must have been trapped in the underfloor space. I did take the precaution of putting some red food dye in the freshwater tank and waiting to see if any red water appeared in the garage but all clear. So it must have been overflow not a tank leak.
With apologies for the over long preamble, here is my problem. Anxious not to overfill again, I have bought a hose end water meter to measure what I put in. Today, I metered in around 50l with the blue cap off, just to see where the water came to. In my tank, which is shaped, like many, the point under the cap is a platform and the rest of the tank is not really visible. To my surprise, at 50l the water level is right up to the bottom of the screw thread. The onboard gauge is only showing 50% full, as expected.
I haven't tried putting any more in the tank (with the cap screwed in, of course) as I am now a bit wary.
What could be going on? Any ideas?
Similar problem with my Exis 465-t.

The access cover and the service entries are not at the highest point of the tank. The tank is saddle shaped and slots over a chassis member, I think.
Once I realised I had a problem I removed the access cover and the pump and made (laboriously, trial and error) new neoprene gaskets. The level sensor I sealed with silicone (waste of space anyway). I have a Gardena in-line tap/valve on the end of my filling hose so that I can control the rate of fill easily. I find that dribbling water in is much less likely to cause any of the fittings to leak; a fully open and unrestricted tap's flow will, still.

I have a couple of old towels pressed down on the top of the tank, I take them out after a fill and dry if necessary.

'Tis a right-royal pain in the bum!

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Similar problem with my Exis 465-t.

The access cover and the service entries are not at the highest point of the tank. The tank is saddle shaped and slots over a chassis member, I think.
Once I realised I had a problem I removed the access cover and the pump and made (laboriously, trial and error) new neoprene gaskets. The level sensor I sealed with silicone (waste of space anyway). I have a Gardena in-line tap/valve on the end of my filling hose so that I can control the rate of fill easily. I find that dribbling water in is much less likely to cause any of the fittings to leak; a fully open and unrestricted tap's flow will, still.

I have a couple of old towels pressed down on the top of the tank, I take them out after a fill and dry if necessary.

'Tis a right-royal pain in the bum!
Many thanks Nigel Crompton. I really didn't think I'd get an answer so soon.
I did wonder if parts of the tank were above the access point as I know tanks are shaped around things. Your comment about speed of filling strikes a chord as well. The overfill in Zaragoza was at the hands of an unusually vigorous flow!
I'll certainly ensure the access cover and service entry are super tight.
Your 465-t sounds rather like my 564-t.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back