Rear load Warning Sign for Italy - needed for folded bike racK? (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
As we are planning a trip to Italy this summer I'm trying to work out the compulsory things to take.
I've seen the rectangular warning signs advertised for use on the back of the motorhome if you have a load such as bikes. We have a bike rack fitted but wont be taking bikes with us (only got space for 2 bikes and 4 people going on the trip).
Do we need to fit a warning sign to the folded rack? Is there a stated minimum overhang which triggers the need for the sign?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As we are planning a trip to Italy this summer I'm trying to work out the compulsory things to take.
I've seen the rectangular warning signs advertised for use on the back of the motorhome if you have a load such as bikes. We have a bike rack fitted but wont be taking bikes with us (only got space for 2 bikes and 4 people going on the trip).
Do we need to fit a warning sign to the folded rack? Is there a stated minimum overhang which triggers the need for the sign?

If you are not going to use the rack, why not just take it off and leave the mounting brackets.

Peter

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Thank you for the quick replies.

The rack is a Fiamma 2 bike one. It looks like the mounting blocks are an integral part of the rack (the top connections look to use some form of rivet rather than bolts).

I'll search the internet to see if I can find the installation instructions for the rack and revsere them to take it off the Van.

As for taking a bike with us, I will have to wait and see if the lady in charge decides we are going to do that after all!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If that is the requirement for Italy , are different ones needed elsewhere in EU ??

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Mmmm, I've only used the plastic one when in Italy without a problem, as did a lot of the other motorhomers I noticed. I guess it is like anything, if you don't get caught there is no problem::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
Mmmm, I've only used the plastic one when in Italy without a problem, as did a lot of the other motorhomers I noticed. I guess it is like anything, if you don't get caught there is no problem::bigsmile:

well i better order 1 just in case last thing i want is to be spanked by an italian copper:Sad: any1 want to buy a plastic 1 :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Are you sure it has to be metal?I bought mine in Italy and used it there and it is Plastic made by Fiamma :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I think it's Spain who insist it should be metal , not Italy , in saying that we toured for months in Spain with a plastic Fiamma one.. none the wiser

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
not one to part with me cash without a fight I did a lot of Googling and it looks like we do need a Alu-Signal for Italy, aparently the plastic one arn't fully reflective, here's a quote from the net. And there is a correct way of fitting them, when driving on the right the lines have to point up towards the offside.

New Italian Legislation means that reflective signs on the back of motorhomes now have to be fully reflective so this would mean that the Alu Signal Sign should be used in Italy instead

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
not one to part with me cash without a fight I did a lot of Googling and it looks like we do need a Alu-Signal for Italy, aparently the plastic one arn't fully reflective, here's a quote from the net. And there is a correct way of fitting them, when driving on the right the lines have to point up towards the offside.

New Italian Legislation means that reflective signs on the back of motorhomes now have to be fully reflective so this would mean that the Alu Signal Sign should be used in Italy instead

I stand corrected, it's becoming a habit :roflmto:

cheers

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi guys

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Aluminium sign:thumb:, our plastic one has just about had it:cry: so a new one will be on the Peterborough show shopping list.:winky:
See you in the queue at the Fiamma stall Dane.::bigsmile:
Perhaps Peter at Johns Cross has a BOGOF special deal for Funsters. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brisey

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Methinks that there is a touch of scare-mongering going on again. Show me the exact legislation reference either Italian or Spanish - otherwise I'm sticking with my plastic Fiamma board. And it all becomes sort of academic if you dont drive at night. :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Damn. Our wine budget just dropped by £30 and Peter is even richer. :cry:

There can be only one reason for this, Fiamma is the only maker of this type and Fiamma is Italian and Berlusconi needed a donation to his mistress fund and Italy got a new law.

This is of course the ramblings of a complete idiot and, Mr Berlusconi, I don't know why I typed it in. Possibly too much fine Italian wine. Please accept my apologies.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Perhaps Peter at Johns Cross has a BOGOF special deal for Funsters. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Brisey

What you need two for? They are not fitted at the front !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Quietly mention FUN at the CASH till and you might get lucky with Funsters Discount:thumb:

Thanks to Tommy and Brian for their orders which will be on their way ASAP.

Peter

Nojazz

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Funster No
I drove through Italy a few months ago and had to buy a sign for the bike rack. Bought it at an Italian service station - it is cardboard. Didn't have a problem.

Nojazz

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
my italian friends tell me cardboard ones are fine in italy except they must have proper reflectors in the corners , which is why fiamma et al make them like that

they are also fine everywhere else apparently

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Apparently (Allegedly).. these are supposed to be compulsory in Spain or so I was informed..but how many vans do you see without em over in Spain..is this another ploy by the Spanish Federales to pull a bit more cash from us poor motorhomers!!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi guys

I decided to e-mail the Italian Tourist Board in London to see if they could clarify the position re Plastic or metal signs. Their reply was as follows.

Dear Sir,
I' afraid we do not have have any further information on this matter.
We have enclosed an attachment from the AA European Motoring dept.

We also have a link to our website for Motoring.
Link Removed

We think that the material of construction should not be a problem,
be it plastic or metal as long as it is the official sign,placed clearly at
the back of the motorhome with extended cargo/baggage,where it
is fully visable to all other motorists,day or night.

Further inf - www.enit.it - Link Removed
Link Removed - www.italyheaven.co.uk

Kind regards,
Inf Dept

My plastic sign is knackered and needs to be replaced so I will go with a metal replacement to be on the safe side.

Brisey

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
where it
is fully visable to all other motorists,day or night.

Brisey

Thanks for taking the time an effort Brisey .. :thumb:

I think this is where the plastic sign fails, despite having four red reflectors, the red chevron stripes are NOT reflective, therefore not visible at night ..

I agree, play safe and get the ally one..

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Peter, if you read the ad carefully, which us where we started this chat, it does not say specifically that a metal sign is compulsory.

"Product Description
Alu SignalRear signal for protruding loads, easily fits to motorcaravans, vans and 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Made in lightweight aluminium.

Dim.: 50x50cm.

Compulsory in Italy"

It may be clever advertising, it may be accidental. It's perfectly proper to read it as saying : 1 This sign is lightweight alumium 2 A sign is compulsory in Italy.

And would a sign in heavy gauge aluminium, or steel, be illegal?

And Brisey, thanks for asking for a semi-official view, but a reflective sign is only visible if lit by something else, such as headlights... so there's no need for all parts of the sign to be reflective, just some of it.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thanks for taking the time an effort Brisey .. :thumb:

I think this is where the plastic sign fails, despite having four red reflectors, the red chevron stripes are NOT reflective, therefore not visible at night ..

I agree, play safe and get the ally one..

Yes as Jim says thanks Brian for making the effort, I am going to go for the ally jobbie, it's just my luck to get a tug by a jobsworth, I don't think it's worth the risk for the sake of £30. Just need to get a padlock so no one knicks it:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just need to get a padlock so no one knicks it:ROFLMAO:

Dead right. I'm going to cut a hole or fit a ring so the bike security chain also secures this mega sign.

When we get there I'm going to wash and polish it and hang it on the wall inside. €1 to come in a view it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Peter, if you read the ad carefully, which us where we started this chat, it does not say specifically that a metal sign is compulsory.

"Product Description
Alu SignalRear signal for protruding loads, easily fits to motorcaravans, vans and 4-wheel drive vehicles.

Dim.: 50x50cm.

Compulsory in Italy"

It may be clever advertising, it may be accidental. It's perfectly proper to read it as saying : 1 This sign is lightweight alumium 2 A sign is compulsory in Italy.

And would a sign in heavy gauge aluminium, or steel, be illegal?

And Brisey, thanks for asking for a semi-official view, but a reflective sign is only visible if lit by something else, such as headlights... so there's no need for all parts of the sign to be reflective, just some of it.

Only quoting what Fiamma say in their blurb and any fully reflective sign in any material would no doubt be legal.

The cheapo one only has a reflector in each corner.

I have changed the description to:

Aluminium Fully Reflective Sign
Rear warning sign for protruding loads such as bike racks etc, easily fitted to motorcaravans, vans and 4-wheel drive vehicles.
Dimensions.: 50cm x 50cm.
A fully reflective sign is compulsory in Italy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back