Re Map on Fiat 2.8 JTD ( 2005) (1 Viewer)

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Having more or less decided to have the re map done on my Hymer I happened to be talking to a friend whose been a diesel mechanic for forty years. He says that whilst it will probably give you the extra BHP he believes the fuel consumption will drop. His theory is that the only way to make the vehicle faster means more fuel being forced through. Seems logical but this is contrary to the info given out by the re map company. So here I am asking whether there's anyone who has had this done and there comments on the fuel and overall performance.

Cheers

Romatone

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
In theory the remap itself won't be any more fuel efficient but the change in driving style it can offer possibly will, ie more torque lets you ghange up through gears sooner, and i use the word 'possibly' in the loosest terms. :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We had our 2.0 ltr JTD remapped and the first thing we noticed was that the exhaust smelt cleaner. Then I took the van out and noticed the power increase.Over 2,400 miles it returned 32 mpg as opposed to 28mpg before the remap.
My thoughts-the cleaner exhaust smell leads me to believe that fuel is now being burnt more efficiently and less is just 'passing through'. Having more power means being able to cruise in higher gear for longer. I try to keep revs around 2,500-3,000 and use the gears to achieve this. I don't use the increase in power to outdrag others from lights etc ::bigsmile:
We are extremely pleased with the results.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
re-map

We had our Fiat 3ltr re-mapped apparently there are two ways it can be done, one will increase top end performance the other will increase fuel effiency.

Have to say our Auto-trail Arapaho which isn`t the most aero-dynamic vehicle will spin the wheels in second gear, get you 90mph quicker than you expect and providing the wind isn`t on the nose at 60mph will return 29mpg, haven`t managed to get tha magic 30mpg yet.
Ok if you`re heading into the wind the mpg drops instantly to 21mpg.
Definitely worth having done by a recognised outfit.:thumb:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We had our 2.8JTD remapped by WOW power and it transformed it
Much smoother to drive and more power so less gear changing

Well worth the money:thumb:

jeepmadmike

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I've been thinking about mapping and have only owned my latest van for a few days

Our old bus was a 2.5 non turbo slug, I turned up the pump a little which improved things greatly (no issues and still pasted the mot emissions with flying colours)

Our new MH is a fiat 2.8 and even though its almost a tonne heavier goes much much better, it just lacks a bit in 5th. I think it's a bit tall geared TBH so it's gearing or chipping!

I have tweaked the fuelling and pump timing on my toyota land cruiser and its better on fuel and has lots more torque it transformed it.

Modern engines a programmed to meet emissions, fuel economy and power can both be gained if the emissions are relaxed. My 2011 Mitsubishi outlander does 5mpg more when the emission control fault light pops up on the dash board:Angry:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
On my 2.8 JTD I went for the add-on box version. It's a self fix and took 20 minutes - ten minutes of which was making the wiring all neat and tidy.

Differences...

Engine ticked over slightly slower but smoother.

Engine free revved faster.

Torque was massively improved. Pulling away in second was all too easy. Great 5th gear cruising on considerable gradients (no getting a run-up anymore:thumb:)

Fuel economy I'd say 10 or perhaps 15 percent better 25/26 to 29/30 mpg (I'm not light footed)

Mine was The Italian Box via eBay and around £60.

I didn't take it off for the MOT and the emissions were slightly lower than the test a year before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Hi Sidney.....re re mapping Fiat jtd engine

I hard heard that there was an add on version which is somewhat cheaper than I have been quoted of £309. I have not looked into your version perhaps I should do at that price difference, thanks for that:thumb:

Romatone

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
add-on tuning boxes do two things....

increase fuel pressure by overriding the standard pressure sensor
fractionally increase injector open times allowing more fuel to enter.

theoretically both will increase fuel consumption.

a full re-map/flash alters many parameters within the ECU including actual injector timing, not just the time open, so should improve consumption.

there is one such DIY tuning device, Diablo Predator ($380+), which rewrites the ecu map and has not less than 7 pre written remaps which are progressively higher and takes a few minutes to rewrite the ecu.
unfortunately they are only for petrol engines and large diesels (Cat and Cummins etc) but the principle is the same

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had a remap by WOW on my 2.8 JTD huge increase in power especially torque but a definite loss of 2 mpg. Also I am experiencing clutch problems just 12 months after having a new clutch fitted. Not sure yet if its the remap causing it but going to get it checked out now I've returned from France.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I had our 2.8jtd done at 28000 miles. It did make driving in 5th a lot easier with less changes, but it did affect the clutch as well.

I have not, and will not do it to our current 2.8jtd, I will fit a free flow air filter, remove the EGR system, and remind myself that i a drivign a mobile housebrick, not a smart car:thumb::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had our 2.8jtd done at 28000 miles. It did make driving in 5th a lot easier with less changes, but it did affect the clutch as well.

I have not, and will not do it to our current 2.8jtd, I will fit a free flow air filter, remove the EGR system, and remind myself that i a drivign a mobile housebrick, not a smart car:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Removing the EGR MAY throw up an engine warning light (MIL) if its monitored by the EMU....some are, some arent.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I had a remap by WOW on my 2.8 JTD huge increase in power especially torque but a definite loss of 2 mpg. Also I am experiencing clutch problems just 12 months after having a new clutch fitted. Not sure yet if its the remap causing it but going to get it checked out now I've returned from France.

when i reported clutch problems with remaps over a year ago on this forum,i was duly shot down by other members,and WOW tuning.:Doh:
google remaps and clutch problems,lots of reports of clutch problems after remaps:Eeek:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm not saying my clutch problem is because of the remap yet. My fitters will investigate and I'll listen to what they report back. I have no intention of being influenced by google rumours or opinions I am only interested in facts obtained from professionals with no bias either way. If the problem does appear to be linked to the remap I'll be contacting WOW but too early to say and don't intend to jump to conclusion or set the rumour mill in motion.

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
we had our autotrail apache remapped by WOW last autumn on a recent trip to Banbury
we were averaging 29plus mpg that's up from 25 coupled to the comfortmatic gearbox and 3 litre engine it runs a lot smoother

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I would rather fit a new clutch to my van every month than be subjected to the absolute cack underpowered 2.3 Jalopy fitted to my van.

However, now on my 3 van all of them remapped, 18000 miles in, various mountain passes and no clutch slipping, just a whole lot more power, more MPG (just) and a completely different van to drive.

Thanks wow.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like what hagers says ( pretty much word for word !!! )

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I had posted on here in the past that a remap would not and could not effect the clutch,even with the extra power the clutch would be able to take the extra torque,BUT having a wow remap done last year I have now changed my opinion.
I have a tag axle 2.8jtd Fiat Dethleffs, had the remap done last year before touring Croatia, noticed the differance right away,loads more torque through the gears, losts less changing down and in fact drove more like a very powerful family saloon.
MPG ? not sure, so many factors to take into account but not noticable either way, just depends how its driven.
Clutch started playing up in Croatia, got progressivly worse so nursed it to a garage which fitted a new clutch,on looking at the old unit i could not believe how small the assembley was, about the size of a mondeo clutch.
Talking to the engineer we both came to the conclusion that because of the size the assembley was not up to the job.
My conclussion is the base Ducato vehicle turned into 4 tonne tag axle wind break is too heavy for the size of clutch that is fitted and with a remap definatly not up to the job. I can even get the new clutch to slip if i dont feather the throttle.
It all depends on your type of base vehicle, convertion, weight & driving which determins whether you will have a clutch problem after an remap.
I looked at fitting a heavy duty clutch to my vehicle but to date they dont do one.
Tony

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Tony great reply and your experience is exactly the same as mine on an almost identical van. Shame they don't make a heavy duty clutch as that was my next choice. Are you keeping the remap of removing it and have you spoken to WOW.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Rory
I know your vehicle and like mine it is a heavy lump so hence the same problem.
Did think about removing remap but do enjoy the extra drivability and now I'm aware of the problem drive accordingly, I will probably remove it if i sell the van.
I will get in touch with WoW as i believe they should offer more settings for the remap especially considering the type of van conversions there are about and not do it on the base vehicle engine alone.
I will ring our suppliers again for a heavy duty option but don’t hold much hope.
If anyone else is experiencing like problems please post on here then i can forward info to WoW
Tony

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I hard heard that there was an add on version which is somewhat cheaper than I have been quoted of £309. I have not looked into your version perhaps I should do at that price difference, thanks for that:thumb:

Romatone

Hi Tony great reply and your experience is exactly the same as mine on an almost identical van. [HI]Shame they don't make a heavy duty clutch as that was my next choice[/HI]. Are you keeping the remap of removing it and have you spoken to WOW.

Ummmm.. They do... Des ( des n donut on here ) had one fitted beginning of last summer at a commercial van place. Much to my surprise his bill was less than I have had quoted for a standard one ! )

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ummmm.. They do... Des ( des n donut on here ) had one fitted beginning of last summer at a commercial van place. Much to my surprise his bill was less than I have had quoted for a standard one ! )

Don't suppose you have any more info I'm really interested.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hi Rory
I know your vehicle and like mine it is a heavy lump so hence the same problem.
Did think about removing remap but do enjoy the extra drivability and now I'm aware of the problem drive accordingly, I will probably remove it if i sell the van.
I will get in touch with WoW as i believe they should offer more settings for the remap especially considering the type of van conversions there are about and not do it on the base vehicle engine alone.
I will ring our suppliers again for a heavy duty option but don’t hold much hope.
If anyone else is experiencing like problems please post on here then i can forward info to WoW
Tony

Hi Jaygee.
WOW do offer different settings. Had mine done three times before I was happy and it didn't cost any extra.

I couldn't go back to the factory settings, it's like driving with the brakes on.
Just have to remember not to pull away hard in first gear cos it just spins the wheels. Second gear starts are easy anyway. As has been said, adjust your driving to suit the new power and everything should be ok.
I drove trucks for ages and know of some drivers who could have a clutch knackered in 10,000 miles, while others in the same kind of truck never had a problem.
I'm not saying people who have had a problem are bad drivers, nor am I saying I am a better driver, it's just how you adapt to what you have .
Fuel consumption initially went down, then I stopped "enjoying" the extra power and drove sensibly. Because of more torque and fewer gear changes it is now better than before it was done.
I am sure that if I just power about everywhere I can soon reduce it by a large amount. Head winds still affect it badly, but I suppose driving a "house end" into the wind would really.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
add-on tuning boxes do two things....

increase fuel pressure by overriding the standard pressure sensor
fractionally increase injector open times allowing more fuel to enter.

theoretically both will increase fuel consumption.

So how does that reduce the tickover and make the engine smoother?

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
knokinonabit----WoW did say that if i was not happy they could reset mine to suit if i took it back again & again & again, trail and error not realy the way to get the remap right.
All they offer on purchase are 3 settings, from memory these are economy,power and performance.
Even the cheap add ons to the fuel rail off ebay have several settings so you have a choise, not that i would fit one.
I understand that with the WoW remap it is a re-programme of the ecu so can only be altered with another re-map.
As i said in previous post WoW need to take into account other factors other than engine code.
Hopefully i will speak to WoW in the next few days.
Tony

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Don't suppose you have any more info I'm really interested.

Fraid not mate.. Other than he actually took the motorhome to a FORD ( it is a Fiat base ) garage as where we live it was the only place within 20 miles that had a door big enough to get the van through !

I can also tell you the whole job was just under £400

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back