1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Re Map on Fiat 2.8 JTD ( 2005)

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Romatone, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Romatone

Romatone Funster

Having more or less decided to have the re map done on my Hymer I happened to be talking to a friend whose been a diesel mechanic for forty years. He says that whilst it will probably give you the extra BHP he believes the fuel consumption will drop. His theory is that the only way to make the vehicle faster means more fuel being forced through. Seems logical but this is contrary to the info given out by the re map company. So here I am asking whether there's anyone who has had this done and there comments on the fuel and overall performance.

Cheers

Romatone
    1 person likes this.
  2. Emmenay

Emmenay Funster

In theory the remap itself won't be any more fuel efficient but the change in driving style it can offer possibly will, ie more torque lets you ghange up through gears sooner, and i use the word 'possibly' in the loosest terms. :thumb:
  3. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Funster

We had our 2.0 ltr JTD remapped and the first thing we noticed was that the exhaust smelt cleaner. Then I took the van out and noticed the power increase.Over 2,400 miles it returned 32 mpg as opposed to 28mpg before the remap.
    My thoughts-the cleaner exhaust smell leads me to believe that fuel is now being burnt more efficiently and less is just 'passing through'. Having more power means being able to cruise in higher gear for longer. I try to keep revs around 2,500-3,000 and use the gears to achieve this. I don't use the increase in power to outdrag others from lights etc :BigGrin:
    We are extremely pleased with the results.

Mike
    1 person likes this.
  4. robnchris

robnchris Funster

re-map

We had our Fiat 3ltr re-mapped apparently there are two ways it can be done, one will increase top end performance the other will increase fuel effiency.

Have to say our Auto-trail Arapaho which isn`t the most aero-dynamic vehicle will spin the wheels in second gear, get you 90mph quicker than you expect and providing the wind isn`t on the nose at 60mph will return 29mpg, haven`t managed to get tha magic 30mpg yet.
    Ok if you`re heading into the wind the mpg drops instantly to 21mpg.
    Definitely worth having done by a recognised outfit.:thumb:
  5. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

We had our 2.8JTD remapped by WOW power and it transformed it
    Much smoother to drive and more power so less gear changing

Well worth the money:thumb:
    1 person likes this.
  6. jeepmadmike

jeepmadmike Funster

I've been thinking about mapping and have only owned my latest van for a few days

Our old bus was a 2.5 non turbo slug, I turned up the pump a little which improved things greatly (no issues and still pasted the mot emissions with flying colours)

Our new MH is a fiat 2.8 and even though its almost a tonne heavier goes much much better, it just lacks a bit in 5th. I think it's a bit tall geared TBH so it's gearing or chipping!

I have tweaked the fuelling and pump timing on my toyota land cruiser and its better on fuel and has lots more torque it transformed it.

Modern engines a programmed to meet emissions, fuel economy and power can both be gained if the emissions are relaxed. My 2011 Mitsubishi outlander does 5mpg more when the emission control fault light pops up on the dash board:Angry:
  7. Sidney

Sidney Funster

On my 2.8 JTD I went for the add-on box version. It's a self fix and took 20 minutes - ten minutes of which was making the wiring all neat and tidy.

Differences...

Engine ticked over slightly slower but smoother.

Engine free revved faster.

Torque was massively improved. Pulling away in second was all too easy. Great 5th gear cruising on considerable gradients (no getting a run-up anymore:thumb:)

Fuel economy I'd say 10 or perhaps 15 percent better 25/26 to 29/30 mpg (I'm not light footed)

Mine was The Italian Box via eBay and around £60.

I didn't take it off for the MOT and the emissions were slightly lower than the test a year before.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. Romatone

Romatone Funster

Hi Sidney.....re re mapping Fiat jtd engine

I hard heard that there was an add on version which is somewhat cheaper than I have been quoted of £309. I have not looked into your version perhaps I should do at that price difference, thanks for that:thumb:

Romatone
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

add-on tuning boxes do two things....

increase fuel pressure by overriding the standard pressure sensor
    fractionally increase injector open times allowing more fuel to enter.

theoretically both will increase fuel consumption.

a full re-map/flash alters many parameters within the ECU including actual injector timing, not just the time open, so should improve consumption.

there is one such DIY tuning device, Diablo Predator ($380+), which rewrites the ecu map and has not less than 7 pre written remaps which are progressively higher and takes a few minutes to rewrite the ecu.
    unfortunately they are only for petrol engines and large diesels (Cat and Cummins etc) but the principle is the same
  10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster

I had a remap by WOW on my 2.8 JTD huge increase in power especially torque but a definite loss of 2 mpg. Also I am experiencing clutch problems just 12 months after having a new clutch fitted. Not sure yet if its the remap causing it but going to get it checked out now I've returned from France.
  11. darklord

darklord

I had our 2.8jtd done at 28000 miles. It did make driving in 5th a lot easier with less changes, but it did affect the clutch as well.

I have not, and will not do it to our current 2.8jtd, I will fit a free flow air filter, remove the EGR system, and remind myself that i a drivign a mobile housebrick, not a smart car:thumb::Rofl1:
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster

Removing the EGR MAY throw up an engine warning light (MIL) if its monitored by the EMU....some are, some arent.
  13. chrisgreen

chrisgreen Funster

when i reported clutch problems with remaps over a year ago on this forum,i was duly shot down by other members,and WOW tuning.:Doh:
    google remaps and clutch problems,lots of reports of clutch problems after remaps:Eeek:
  14. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster

I'm not saying my clutch problem is because of the remap yet. My fitters will investigate and I'll listen to what they report back. I have no intention of being influenced by google rumours or opinions I am only interested in facts obtained from professionals with no bias either way. If the problem does appear to be linked to the remap I'll be contacting WOW but too early to say and don't intend to jump to conclusion or set the rumour mill in motion.
    1 person likes this.
  15. mfh27748

mfh27748 Funster

we had our autotrail apache remapped by WOW last autumn on a recent trip to Banbury
    we were averaging 29plus mpg that's up from 25 coupled to the comfortmatic gearbox and 3 litre engine it runs a lot smoother
  16. haganap

haganap Funster

I would rather fit a new clutch to my van every month than be subjected to the absolute cack underpowered 2.3 Jalopy fitted to my van.

However, now on my 3 van all of them remapped, 18000 miles in, various mountain passes and no clutch slipping, just a whole lot more power, more MPG (just) and a completely different van to drive.

Thanks wow.:thumb:
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster

Like what hagers says ( pretty much word for word !!! )
  18. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Funster

I second that - WOW remap on Transit 2.4 engine. No clutch problems.
  19. jaygee

jaygee Funster

I had posted on here in the past that a remap would not and could not effect the clutch,even with the extra power the clutch would be able to take the extra torque,BUT having a wow remap done last year I have now changed my opinion.
    I have a tag axle 2.8jtd Fiat Dethleffs, had the remap done last year before touring Croatia, noticed the differance right away,loads more torque through the gears, losts less changing down and in fact drove more like a very powerful family saloon.
    MPG ? not sure, so many factors to take into account but not noticable either way, just depends how its driven.
    Clutch started playing up in Croatia, got progressivly worse so nursed it to a garage which fitted a new clutch,on looking at the old unit i could not believe how small the assembley was, about the size of a mondeo clutch.
    Talking to the engineer we both came to the conclusion that because of the size the assembley was not up to the job.
    My conclussion is the base Ducato vehicle turned into 4 tonne tag axle wind break is too heavy for the size of clutch that is fitted and with a remap definatly not up to the job. I can even get the new clutch to slip if i dont feather the throttle.
    It all depends on your type of base vehicle, convertion, weight & driving which determins whether you will have a clutch problem after an remap.
    I looked at fitting a heavy duty clutch to my vehicle but to date they dont do one.
    Tony
  20. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster

Hi Tony great reply and your experience is exactly the same as mine on an almost identical van. Shame they don't make a heavy duty clutch as that was my next choice. Are you keeping the remap of removing it and have you spoken to WOW.