Pressure cooker (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In March 1945 my mother gave my sister (who was living on an RAF camp with her hubby, a navigator on Halifax bombers) a Prestige Hi-Dome when my sister's son was born. She gave it to me around 25 years ago and I use it regularly at home and in the m/h. I used it for 20+ years when I was sailing offshore on my yacht as nothing spilled and it saved gas. I still use the original manual and just yesterday I made a batch of ten portions of chicken stock and veg soup. Wouldn't be without it.

Pressure cooker Oct.JPG

and in those days it was deemed necessary to tell people the country of origin of various 'Continental' dishes!
Spag Bol - from Italy. Now who'd have thought that!

Pressure cooker D.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
In March 1945 my mother gave my sister (who was living on an RAF camp with her hubby, a navigator on Halifax bombers) a Prestige Hi-Dome when my sister's son was born. She gave it to me around 25 years ago and I use it regularly at home and in the m/h. I used it for 20+ years when I was sailing offshore on my yacht as nothing spilled and it saved gas. I still use the original manual and just yesterday I made a batch of ten portions of chicken stock and veg soup. Wouldn't be without it.

View attachment 827977

and in those days it was deemed necessary to tell people the country of origin of various 'Continental' dishes!
Spag Bol - from Italy. Now who'd have thought that!

View attachment 827976
The top picture instantly brought back memories of my grandmother arriving with hers. Then my parents had one. Nana used to take hers on motorhome and canal boat holidays.
It was so nice to see this photo. ♥️

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I batch cook, at home in my pressure cooker, freeze them before transferring to the M/H. Freezer.
Reheat in microwave. 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The top picture instantly brought back memories of my grandmother arriving with hers. Then my parents had one. Nana used to take hers on motorhome and canal boat holidays.
What photo? 🤔

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
Same here, i remember my parents having one and it was frequently used, I can still remember the little bobbin thing that goes on the top spinning and rattling around, and carefully lifting those triangular inner pans out with a fork! elf and safety???

Lovely picture, real blast from the past for me, thanks for posting.
👍❤️

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes we have one, well several actually! I've used one since I was a kid and they are great. We have had several of different sizes as it's better not to have one that's too large as it takes longer to get up to pressure than smaller ones due to the greater 'air' space inside so get the size that's just right for however many of you there are rather than thinking I'll get a big one just for the sake of it. Also some are easier to use than others, we like the ones where you can turn a knob/weight to let the steam out as this is easier than trying to push the bobbling weight to get it to release pressure.

What you need to think of is what will fit on your hob, too large and you won't get other pans on and could also char the worktop if it's too close, one thing that can suffer is the rubber caps that go on the screws holding the hob in place! :giggle:

You also need to look at what they come with as many don't have any baskets or a trivet which can be expensive for what they are. Whilst the ones with 2 small side handles may seem more compact they are actually less useful as you always need two hands to move them whereas the longer single handled ones are much easier to move around such as when you want to let the steam out by taking them outside as you have a free hand to open/close the door. If the longer handles are an issue they are quickly removed and put back on.

We have had various makes and have to say we do like Prestige ones but there are many now but make sure you can get spares especially the rubber 'sealing ring' as some of the more obscure makes are difficult to get hold of and thus can sound the 'death knell' for a perfectly good pressure cooker.

For a MH I wouldn't go bigger than 5L as that seems to be the maximum size for a hob and also for easy storage, most are roughly the same height but you can get some with half-height bases and/or a set with both full and half-height ones which can be useful if you only want to do a small amount of food (eg spuds for mashing) rather than a full pan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes we have one in the van a cheap one we bought in a Spanish supermarket a few years ago. Last used about a week ago while in Germany, cooked a venison goulash in it.

And contry to Minxy comments it has two small handles much prefer that, easier and safer to move around.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The Prestige model was fantastic, I used one for years and it's still somewhere in the kitchen, but modern cooking methods have taken over although it still comes out occasionally when she needs a large pan.
But IMO it's too big to carry around in the MH for the number of times it would get used. And they're not light either. Could buy a smaller lightweight model I suppose but it would only be another accessory that would end up on a shelf in the garage at home, along with all the other "useful" items we've bought over the years.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
How to prepare a baked spud in a pressure cooker.

1. Cut a large slit in the top of the spud.
2. Pressure cook until soft, this may need some experimentation.
3. While still hot and pressurised, with a gloved hand remove the pressure weight.
4. Once the blast of steam has stopped and pressure released open the lid.
5. Pop spud under the grill for a few minutes.
6. The rapid decompression will cause the spud to open up in a nice floury way, add butter and season to taste.
7. Repaint kitchen ceiling.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Before buying any cooking aid or van accessory

I ask myself
a) have we space to carry it
b) will it get used regularly
c) do we actually need it
d) can it be used on a BBQ

pressure cooker fails all tests, as do many other 'in vogue' cooking aids .. which generally end up being hidden in the shed.. or on FB market place

KISS in the van..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
7. Repaint kitchen ceiling.
Our first pressure cooker was one of the old Presteage ones with the weights. I was boiling up some hops & malt to make stout.
After boiling left it for some time but obviously not long enough, removed the weight. Whoosh a fountain of black liquid all over the walls and ceiling.
The house smelt lovely for weeks, someone else didn't think so. :rofl:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I have had a Prestige one for over fifty years. Have replaced the seal once at the behest of the second wife's not understanding the principal of them expanding when the steam builds up.

I remember once being in a hurry for my Corned Beef stew and pulling off the weight on the lid and watching the miracle of the escaping steam being reconstituted into gravy dripping off the newly decorated kitchen ceiling, much to the annoyance of the first wife. Needless to say it took longer to get my stew as I had to clean the gravy off the ceiling first, Redecoration followed a couple of days later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back