PORTUGAL Ferragudo MH stop or wildcamping ? (1 Viewer)

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Looking to return to the Algarve later this year, One of our past favourite spots was wildcamping on the beach at Ferragudo ( near Portamao ). I assume parking on the beach to enjoy the restaurants nearby is no longer tolerated and I was told by Motorhomers when we mentioned visiting the Algarve a couple of years ago that it was now closed to Mh's ?. I can't find any information regarding MH stops or any suitable overnight parking spots around Ferragudo.
Has anyone visited that area recently and know of somewhere to stay a couple of days ?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We were there last Sunday,not via motor home. There were about 6 vans on that area,so plenty of space! I do believe there is a sign saying no motorhomes,and I think it probably says no overnight staying.
I guess the GNR will become more active as the season opens up.
You may get more information from BreweryDave who lives not far away and knows more than me.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We were there last Sunday,not via motor home. There were about 6 vans on that area,so plenty of space! I do believe there is a sign saying no motorhomes,and I think it probably says no overnight staying.
I guess the GNR will become more active as the season opens up.
You may get more information from BreweryDave who lives not far away and knows more than me.
Pressed the wrong tit again! :ROFLMAO: :rofl:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There is an aire near Ferragudo opposite Lidl at Parchal.
There are wild campers knocking about all over the place, but they are as welcome as a wet fart, and will get fined and moved on if the GNR turn up. Your risk😳
Plenty of very negative posts on local FB groups, due to the usual ……. cassette emptying in the bushes and dunes🤦‍♂️

If there’s a sign saying no motorhomes, which there are now many along the coastal areas, just don’t do it! Have some respect for the residents 🤷‍♂️😜
Remember, it’s illegal in Portugal!
…….don’t shoot the messenger 😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
We used to use the Ferragudo wildcamp spot at punto panoramico quite a lot a few years ago before the big clampdown, obviously no facilities but it was the norm then to pop across to the nearby campsite and empty your loo etc for 2.50 euros, bit of a no brainer (y). Was a great spot, but as usual probably buggered up by the idiots.

Pete

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We used to use the Ferragudo wildcamp spot at punto panoramico quite a lot a few years ago before the big clampdown, obviously no facilities but it was the norm then to pop across to the nearby campsite and empty your loo etc for 2.50 euros, bit of a no brainer (y). Was a great spot, but as usual probably buggered up by the idiots.

Pete

So if I travel to Portugal to the areas which you describe and, in order to comply with the law, we book into a B&B but leave the MH parked outside, can I be fined?
There are wild campers knocking about all over the place, but they are as welcome as a wet fart, and will get fined and moved on if the GNR turn up. Your risk😳
Plenty of very negative posts on local FB groups, due to the usual ……. cassette emptying in the bushes and dunes🤦‍♂️

If there’s a sign saying no motorhomes, which there are now many along the coastal areas, just don’t do it! Have some respect for the residents 🤷‍♂️😜
Remember, it’s illegal in Portugal!
…….don’t shoot the messenger 😎

So if I travel to Portugal to the areas which you describe and, in order to comply with the law, we book into a B&B but leave the MH parked outside, can I be fined?

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

I have no idea Geoff. :unsure:

Pete

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
No, from what I’ve seen, cos you’re parked, and not sleeping overnight ( ie. camping)
There are a couple of MH’s parked in parking bays on the road literally just outside the campsite here at Alvor, but the owners live in the apartments opposite. They’re there all year round except when they go off touring. Never attract attention, and are clearly closed up and unoccupied…………..( it would seem😜) Obv the GNR know this as they’re always there.

Bizarrely, when I lived in Spain ( Torre del Mar) in an appartment, I parked my MH on the road outside, with a note in the window as to where I lived, and still got told I had to move it🤷‍♂️ Ended up leaving it in storage, but TDM as a town had no motorhome signs plastered on the roads heading into town! That was Spain, about 5 years ago🤦‍♂️

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There are wild campers knocking about all over the place, but they are as welcome as a wet fart, and will get fined and moved on if the GNR turn up.

In my experience it is ex pats who think this way...

Been off site motorhoming on and off for many, many nights... no disturbances, no GNR, no fines.

I heard Ferraguda was cleared off and so, apparently, was Faro Airport but I just spent several days and nights PARKED at the latter with no problems.

But keep spreading the "motorhome whispers" and frighten folk away leaving more space for the real rufty tuftys...
:rofl:

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have been Iiving in my motorhome and touring around Portugal for over twenty years and I have never ever, ever, ever met any vanner who has been fined.

JJ :cool:

PS. I never ever touch, let alone read, the English language Portuguese newspapers aimed at ex-pats who have bought properties in the Algarve... they definitely don't like freedom motorhomers.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Looking to return to the Algarve later this year, One of our past favourite spots was wildcamping on the beach at Ferragudo ( near Portamao ). I assume parking on the beach to enjoy the restaurants nearby is no longer tolerated and I was told by Motorhomers when we mentioned visiting the Algarve a couple of years ago that it was now closed to Mh's ?. I can't find any information regarding MH stops or any suitable overnight parking spots around Ferragudo.
Has anyone visited that area recently and know of somewhere to stay a couple of days ?
We were in Ferragudo last week, the wilding spot in the dunes near is now prohibited, having said that there were 3 vans there tho’ I can’t say if they stayed overnight, we called into the aire at Parchal railway yard almost opposite Lidl and it was full, but there were a couple of vans staying on the car park at the side of staples. I doubt if you will get away with wilding at the beach dunes or fishermen’s huts especially as you say later in the year, the Algarve is fairly packed out at the moment.....just sayin....

OP
OP
Adriaadventure
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Thanks for the advice in your replies everyone, its amazing to get such a lot of information from fellow Funsters who are there or nearby on the spot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back