Portable Sat system HELP REQU'D PLEASE !!!!! (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Help/advice required. Due to another Funster asking questions about Sat TV, I got mine out to try.

Despite trying almost everything, I cannot get my satellite system to show more than 83% on the signal intensity and 14% on signal strength (as monitored on the TV satellite setup page). Here's the checks made so far.........

All connections checked/double checked.
Dish feed cable swapped
Receiver boxes swapped (I have a working spare)
Voltage to LNB checked
TV Scart connections checked and swapped
I've also linked up a small portable case-type that I have as spare and done similar checks with that system.

I'm aware that minor movements of the dish are required and all of the paraphernalia that goes with set up BUT, there's hardly a damn signal to start with, let alone moving the dish milllimeters at a time!

A signal strength of '14' remains, even if I unplug the lead at the dish end!!! The result is the same on both kits and the case-type worked ok before, even in the garden which is where I'm trying it all out now.

Anyone any ideas I've wasted a whole sunny and hot day!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
patience is required, wait until you get out of the channel tunnel BEFORE setting it up:thumb:

On the other hand maybe the LMB is shot or more likely you are setting up on the wrong sat.

Last edited:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Look for the simple things first, you do not have the right elevation in all probability. We have all been there. Recheck your elevation, take into account any slant on the van if parked on a slope, then start searching from the east swinging back towards where you think 28.2 is. Some tuners will take longer than others to digitise the signal so be prepared to wait each time you move the dish. Also remember if you are inside the van with your compass it may be influenced by nearby metal or electrical objects.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i gave up using my compass and now use my phone with a dish alignment app

as for the fault, it sounds like a dodgy LNB assuming correct alignment

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the help Lads.

The fault was a combination of a dodgy feed-lead to the dish and ummmmm operator error! (Needed to elevate the dish a bit more).

Of course, one problem always begats another. Now got a triffik picture but some channels - like Sky News/BBC etc - are in 'CinemaScope' (if you're old enough to remember that). There's a gap at the top and bottom of the screen. Curiously, some film channels are full-screen.:swear:

I've played around with the both remote controls in case I've entered an odd picture size but all is normal.

I also get the same 'thinish' picture using my spare receiver box.

Any ideas?

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Glad you sorted it. Astra 1 at 19.2 is such a strong signal I find it frequently seems to be where I am looking for Astra 2. But at least having found it you do know that 2 is just a few degrees to the east. 28.2 is the setting on the mean line, degree 0, so as you travel east or west it seems to be in a different place. Also because of this they seem to be at a different height, this is due to the geostationary orbit following the earths curvature so again needs to be taken into account. The furthe East the lower on the horizon and to the west higher. Then of course because the satellites are all above the equator the further south you travel the higher on the horizon they will be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Go into the tv menu you will find there are different aspect ratios i.e. 4.3 etc. Try each one till you have a normal picture.

P.S. turn off any "auto" picture function!!! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back