Please can anyone advise me on how to remove DELL bloatware from my Ryzen 5 Inspiron. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I bought a new DELL Inspiron 3505 about 15months ago.
I was delighted, it was smooth, fast, good battery life & steady, but it came with DELLs own software which I've since found out is called bloatware.
The laptop was perfect until it was exactly a year old, I got a message saying that my years free trial of DELLs software was up & did I want to take out a subscription of the software. I didn't bother, but then the laptop did an update from DELL (not Microsoft) & that's exactly where the trouble began.
The battery which used to last for about 5hrs now won't even let me watch a full movie without being plugged in & a few other problems.
Needless to say, this is a huge disappointment & makes the laptop practically useless to me.

I've studied the problem, but I'm no computer geek. The problem appears to be DELL bloatware & a well-known form of robbery by DELL.
So, I'm asking of anyone can tell me how to remove this problem software, but please remember that I'm a layman & not much use with too much cybergeek talk or terminology.

TIA....Robert.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Windows 11
press windows blue logo bottom left of task bar.
in pop up screen at the top search add remove programs.
enter, you will get a list of programs/apps

press each of the following programs one at a time and press remove.
restart computer.

Dell Customer Connect
Dell Digital Delivery
Dell Help and Support
Dell Product Registration
Dell Support Assist & Remediation & Agent
Dell Update
Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin

I'm no computer wizz either but hope this helps. (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As barsteward says however there may also be other "cr4p" installed and you can check this, and remove, by
  • clicking "Settings" (the gear wheel on the task bar or clicking the "Start" button and clicking "Settings" in there)
  • clicking "Apps" (in the left pane)
  • clicking "Installed Apps" (in the right pane)
  • this opens a list of all the apps installed and gives you the ability to remove any you don't want

• to do this you click the "3 dots" at the right-hand side of the app in the list
  • this will open a drop-down list that should include "uninstall" as an option
  • DO NOT uninstall anything you're not 100% sure that you do not need
  • any that you are unsure about come back here and ask away
Laptop builders regularly install trial versions of Office, anti-virus, etc that just ends up clogging up your machine and it's worth dumping these if not required.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Windows 11
press windows blue logo bottom left of task bar.
in pop up screen at the top search add remove programs.
enter, you will get a list of programs/apps

press each of the following programs one at a time and press remove.
restart computer.

Dell Customer Connect
Dell Digital Delivery
Dell Help and Support
Dell Product Registration
Dell Support Assist & Remediation & Agent
Dell Update
Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin

I'm no computer wizz either but hope this helps. (y)
Thats all done & I'm so grateful to you. I was seriously thinking of taking windows out & putting in a brand-new copy, I was so infuriated by this.
I'm so grateful for all assistance given on here, thank you big time.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Thats all done & I'm so grateful to you. I was seriously thinking of taking windows out & putting in a brand-new copy, I was so infuriated by this.
Glad If I was of some assistance, as I say I'm an absolute numpty really but I do like to tinker my latest project is Homeassistant but to be honest it's way beyond me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DJT
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

The first thing I used to do with a new laptop from Dell is do a clean install of windows without the crap. It is well worth doing if you haven't done much with it yet.

Thankfully these days I just install Linux.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
I get many useful tips from Britec09 on YT. His day job is computers.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Compared to other laptops I've owned, my Dell was pretty light on bloat. It's a 5515 with a Ryzen 7 and about 18 months old. Battery life is still good. I'm ignoring the 'extend support' messages at the moment. But I'll probably uninstall stuff soon.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used to buy all the laptops for my company and we went through ALL the brands. After being responsible for buying 50+ laptops I found that Dell had the most reliable and backed up with the best warranty service so have stuck with them ever since.
I like the Dell XPS laptops, a bit pricier than their budget models but they are really well built and they last.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Note that bloat installation is now built into Windows. Even if you do a fresh install, it still tries to add the maker's apps automatically. I guess this is under the guise of driver installation, but a lot of crud can come with it. I built a desktop from parts and it automatically downloaded stuff that I would consider bloat. Asus 'support' apps that mainly seemed an advert for other products and to harvest my system info. To be fair, it also included things like Bios update facilities. But it came as a bundle and I had to uninstall the bits I didn't want.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Probably not the issue with ambulancekidd pc but the battery's themselves on some Dell models don't have a great lifespan.
Two to three years? before they are not holding charge
Fortunately easy to change
Lots of info on you tube

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Probably not the issue with ambulancekidd pc but the battery's themselves on some Dell models don't have a great lifespan.
Two to three years? before they are not holding charge
Fortunately easy to change
Lots of info on you tube
I've decided to buy a new battery, just to eliminate that as the issue. My old DELL laptop had a new battery fitted last year & it helped a lot.
Incidentally I removed the DELL bloatware on the older DELL which I couldn't get running properly & its took off like a rocket, the slow running is gone & its behaving perfectly.
So, its a win, win. Thanks again to everyone who has helped & advised me with these issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back